UTSA commit and Ryan High Senior in jail

Travis

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

Wow, really sad.  It hard to figure out why young men with so much potential and so much ahead of them do some the stupidest crap I would not expect from a 12 year old.

Agree. What troubles me most, after considering the sentiment in your quote above, is the aggressive nature of the act. This ain't your basic shoplifting at WalMart!

• Upvote 1

"...and displayed a handgun."

The notion is, "Do what I say or I may kill you."  Since he is said to be a senior, I assume that he's either 17 or 18.  Either way, he's in "big boy" jail. 

Here's a young man, with supposedly an offer from 3 universities to get a college education.  I don't understand what sort of street credibility could make him even consider throwing all that away.  I've been working with a man that served time in prison.  The majority of doors are already closed to him.  This young man has really caused himself a big handicap. 

16 hours ago, Travis said:

Robbing a UNT student. 

Well...

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS POLICE DEPARTMENT
** CRIME ALERT UPDATE**

UNT Police have arrested two suspects in connection to the aggravated robbery on Sept. 6. A third suspect has been identified. The investigation revealed that the robbery occurred during a drug transaction between the victim and suspects. None of the suspects are affiliated with the university and the investigation is still active. 

The original Crime Alert is as follows:

OFFENSE: Aggravated Robbery (UNT PD Case #0620816)

DATE OCCURRED: Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2016 

TIME OCCURRED:  8:50 PM   

LOCATION OCCURRED: UNT Parking Lot #50 – 300 S. Welch St. 

DETAILS OF EVENT: At around 8:50 PM this evening, the victim was walking to his car parked at 1100 Union Circle (northeast corner of the UNT Union building). Upon entering his vehicle, two suspects also got into the victim’s car and displayed a handgun. They forced the victim to drive a short distance to UNT Lot 50, where they demanded and took the victim’s cell phones, wallet, and car keys. A third suspect driving a separate car picked up the suspects and fled the scene, believed to have left the area driving eastbound on W. Hickory St.

SUSPECT(S) DESCRIPTION:  All three suspects were described as light-skinned black males, approximately 18-22 years old. Of the two suspects in the victim’s car, one was described as tall (approx. 6’2”), muscular and wearing a black tank top and shorts. He had black, “box” cut hair and was clean shaven. The other suspect was skinny with a plain white T-shirt and was clean shaven (approx. 5’10”).

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: Suspects’ vehicle was described as an older, late 90s model Toyota Camry that was dark gray in color, with several dents. The victim described it as “beat up” and “dirty.” The engine knocked as if it were having mechanical problems.

SAFETY PRECAUTIONS:
•    Always walk in numbers.
•    Stay in well lighted areas.
•    Stay aware of your surroundings as you walk to/from your vehicle.
•    Keep your car doors locked at all times.
•    Immediately report suspicious persons or dangerous activity to the police by dialing 911.

14 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I assume that he's either 17 or 18.  Either way, he's in "big boy" jail. 

If I may ask, and I'm in no way opining as to whether anybody should be in juvie or big boy jail, why have 18 as the mark of being an adult if minors can be and are regularly tried as adults?  I'm not necessarily arguing against it, I just don't understand the fluidity of the delineation. 

Sorry in advance to everybody for the legalese tangent.  I've just always been curious.

15 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Sounds perfect for Florida!

Even better for Baylor!

• Upvote 1

Man... I hate to go there, but.... I'm beginning to notice a strong corrolation between winning, the # of stars a recruit has and the severity of crime committed. It makes me understand what they mean when they say you have to be willing to make the committment to win. I fight against believing that is true, but I'm losing.

Edited by UTSA Fan

18 hours ago, RushnStudies said:

Very sad indeed. My older son knew him a little bit from Ryan football. His words: "It's incredible how quickly people can change in such a short time."

What a terrible choice this boy made.

And committing this crime wasn't a very bright choice either.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

This was the kid that had committed to 3 different schools in a matter of months. I wonder if USC or UCLA figured out this was a troubled kid a just stepped away rather than Steward decommitting.

Non the less, I hate when these kids get caught up in stuff like this

It's almost certain they backed off as bolded.

This wasn't his first poor decision...

31 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Sorry...this is a SERIOUS thread about a serious incident, but I couldn't resist being a smartass!

Sorry, I was tempted to do that an hour ago, but resisted!  I'll give you a +1, though.*

Back on subject:  all I have to say is, that's really sad for someone to throw their future away like that.

* to make it somewhat relevant to the game Saturday, that's Archie Bell & the Drells from Houston, Texas.

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Stix said:

Sorry, I was tempted to do that an hour ago, but resisted!  I'll give you a +1, though.

Back on subject:  all I have to say is, that's really sad for someone to throw their future away like that.

Absolutely. There is no telling how far he could have gone...minimum  college education and a decent job, perhaps much more. Very sad to see that happen. No information, just a gut feeling that he fell into the wrong crowd instead of bonding with his football family. Reading the "Crime Alert" above makes me think some doper dirtbags used him as their "muscle" threat and took him along on their little capers.

Edited by EagleMBA

The kid obviously has issues. Bouncing between states in such a short time and his mother dying surely helped him spiral out of control. I'm hoping he has a family member to show him love and push him in the right direction. Rock bottom & tough love can do amazing things....

• Upvote 1