5 High Schools

emmitt01

If you could pick 5 Texas high schools for North Texas to get all of the talent out of them (we are guaranteed to get any player from these schools that we want) which would you choose?  

I'd pick Desoto, Cedar Hill, Katy, Cibolo Steele and either Guyer or Ryan for the Denton connection.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

If you could pick 5 Texas high schools for North Texas to get all of the talent out of them (we are guaranteed to get any player from these schools that we want) which would you choose?  

I'd pick Desoto, Cedar Hill, Katy, Cibolo Steele and either Guyer or Ryan for the Denton connection.

No brainer, DeSoto.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Silent Eagle said:

I'm an Arlington Martin guy, so I'd like to see a pipeline from there.  I don't even know if we're good.  I haven't kept up with HS football since I graduated. 

Allow me to answer.

Your program isn't just good, it's damn good and had Emmitt allowed more options Martin would be my 7th pick right behind Austin Westlake.

Coach Wager has it going on for sure, and with the lax residential requirements that is the UIL and the AISD he has the pick of the litter of a massive district.  

And we do have a pipeline there.  Our RB Nick Smith is from there so we're doing good in that regard as well.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Allow me to answer.

Your program isn't just good, it's damn good and had Emmitt allowed more options Martin would be my 7th pick right behind Austin Westlake.

Coach Wager has it going on for sure, and with the lax residential requirements that is the UIL and the AISD he has the pick of the litter of a massive district.  

And we do have a pipeline there.  Our RB Nick Smith is from there so we're doing good in that regard as well.

Rick

Don't forget Tyler Wilson he came from there as well. Wager was at the North Texas Clinic I went to and he was joined at the hip with Littrell and Perry. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

So question because I don't really follow high school or recruiting and I honestly don't know.  

How well does the uber well funded high school athlete in an elite (cough..recruited semi-pro...cough) program like Allen tend to perform in college?  

Not as well as the kid from a Desoto or Cedar Hill

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Just now, oldguystudent said:

Can you expound on that a little?  And do I correctly derive that DeSoto and Cedar Hill aren't recipients of unlimited funding? 

Desoto and Cedar Hill are communities that are populated by the families who could afford to move out of Oak Cluff and South Dallas.  Their fathers (and fathers' fathers) were good to great athletes who didn't have the money or environment of an Allen.  

They're now middle class (so not recipients of unlimited funding) so their schools are better and they are coached better.  

Natural talent with moderate coaching beats money and personal trainers.  

Now, this isn't to say that places like Allen can't offer jobs (recruit) the parents of athletic kids...but look at the rivals and scout recruiting lists for Desoto and Cedar Hill; they just have athletes in greater abundance so they will stay on top unlike an Allen who you can now see slipping

If Desoto and Cedar Hill hadn't been put in the same division of 6A they might both be state champs this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Desoto and Cedar Hill are communities that are populated by the families who could afford to move out of Oak Cluff and South Dallas.  Their fathers (and fathers' fathers) were good to great athletes who didn't have the money or environment of an Allen.  

They're now middle class (so not recipients of unlimited funding) so their schools are better and they are coached better.  

Natural talent with moderate coaching beats money and personal trainers.  

Now, this isn't to say that places like Allen can't offer jobs (recruit) the parents of athletic kids...but look at the rivals and scout recruiting lists for Desoto and Cedar Hill; they just have athletes in greater abundance so they will stay on top unlike an Allen who you can now see slipping

If Desoto and Cedar Hill hadn't been put in the same division of 6A they might both be state champs this year.

Wasn't Cedar Hill the HS that had like 20 D1 guys sign a few years ago in one senior class? May have been Oak Cliff. 

Woodlands/Katy is Houston's version of Allen/SL. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2016 at 11:00 PM, emmitt01 said:

No to Katy.  Many more school in greater Houston area schools with D1 talent.  Manvel, Alief Taylor, and North Shore are probably the biggest in the area.  Katy would be probably in the 15-20 range just in the Houston Area if u had to guess. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 8/27/2016 at 11:00 PM, emmitt01 said:

We once signed 7 from Dallas Carter HS one Winter.  

Add:

Aledo, Port Arthur Lincoln & Houston Stratford 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

So question because I don't really follow high school or recruiting and I honestly don't know.  

How well does the uber well funded high school athlete in an elite (cough..recruited semi-pro...cough) program like Allen tend to perform in college?  

Money impacts high school in the following ways:

1. Better Coaching

2. More Coaching (camps)

3. More opportunities

Basically the 10,000 hours theory.

• Upvote 1