MGB: Day 1 practice report (clarification on English situation)

Brett Vito

Chumley moved to WR woohoo!! Finally a staff not afraid to move kids where they need to be. 

Poor Quinn Vito has had cross hairs on him since he came on campus.  

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 7

I would be curious to see if anyone is able to get a waiver this year for a scenario similar to English's.  As has been discussed previously on the site by a few different posters, the NCAA changed the rule a couple years back, effective starting this year that they do not grant waivers for this type of situation to allow the player to play immediately.  

What they did to compensate is to not charge the player with a year of eligibility.  English redshirted last year, he will be granted some sort of hardship waiver for this year and will still have 4 years left to play 4.

Feel free to interject if I have misstated anything.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Chumley moved to WR woohoo!! Finally a staff not afraid to move kids where they need to be. 

Lol so right on both accounts.

Chumley was a 3* athlete out of high school and was recruited by bigger schools to play TE. McCarney was doing his damnest to to fit a square peg in a round hole. Littrell isn't quite that senile yet.

Shanbour throws one bad pass, Vito: "well looks like that midget sucks again. It's a wonder the coaches give him a roster spot. Can't wait to see every other QB, including Chumley, pass him up on the roster, because he's clearly awful"

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Regarding English, UNT just can't get a break from the NCAA.

Not even. The NCAA made a rule to specifically address English's situation. The waiver was never going to be granted and neither will the appeal.

He won't lose a year of eligibility, and since it's pretty evident this team will be very bad this year, I think it's a good thing his eligibility will be delayed for one year. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

So I'm assuming that the athletic department's recap of the practice, which also described Morris as a vocal leader of this team, is part of the anti-Shanbour conspiracy too?  

Wait... You are actually a fav of the starting QB? 

So confused...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

56 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Not even. The NCAA made a rule to specifically address English's situation. The waiver was never going to be granted and neither will the appeal.

He won't lose a year of eligibility, and since it's pretty evident this team will be very bad this year, I think it's a good thing his eligibility will be delayed for one year. 

This.  The new rule is black and white, and doesn't allow for any waivers.  The only school English could have played for this year is K-State.

That said, the dude ought to be a beast once he gets to his extra year of eligibility, assuming he keeps working hard.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

So I'm assuming that the athletic department's recap of the practice, which also described Morris as a vocal leader of this team, is part of the anti-Shanbour conspiracy too?  

Well, the AD's recap did not include a comment about Shanbour, like Vito's, did it?

13 hours ago, GMG24 said:

11 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Lol so right on both accounts.

Chumley was a 3* athlete out of high school and was recruited by bigger schools to play TE. McCarney was doing his damnest to to fit a square peg in a round hole. Littrell isn't quite that senile yet.

Shanbour throws one bad pass, Vito: "well looks like that midget sucks again. It's a wonder the coaches give him a roster spot. Can't wait to see every other QB, including Chumley, pass him up on the roster, because he's clearly awful"

We got Chumley because we were going to give him a chance at QB. He likely wouldn't have come here as a TE. He got his chance with two different staffs and now makes the move. I think he got a fair shake and we held up our end of the agreement.

As for Vito-Shanbour, maybe Vito is just trying to pick on someone (closer to) his own size...

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

We got Chumley because we were going to give him a chance at QB. He likely wouldn't have come here as a TE. He got his chance with two different staffs and now makes the move. I think he got a fair shake and we held up our end of the agreement.

Agree.   He had 2 years to prove himself.  Didn't happen.  
Now, he'll have another chance to prove himself as a pass catcher, and I bet he'll do well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree.   He had 2 years to prove himself.  Didn't happen.  
Now, he'll have another chance to prove himself as a pass catcher, and I bet he'll do well.

Between getting a whopping 2 reps in the spring game and the staff bringing in O'Hara he had to have known they were moving him. He's a good athlete, just not a good QB.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Shanbour fans:

I really don't think there is a "Shanbour should start over Morris" movement, so that's a strawman argument.  I think there IS a "why the hell didn't Mac/Chico give him a shot with what we rolled out last year?" movement.   But that is in the past, I don't know if anyone actually expects Shanbour to start...

Except Silver, Shanbour may be his love child.  

There is always some back-up that the fans want.  But, there is a reason the back-ups are back-ups...coach after coach, school after school, in the case of transfers - they aren't good enough to start.

The flavor of the moment for the Back-Up Is A Hero crowd is Shanbour.  He wasn't ever going to cut it at Oklahoma State, and he isn't going to here either.  As stated months ago, there's no shame in that.  The percentage of high school quarterbacks able to become starting FBS quarterback is very small. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2