DRC: Apogee five years later Part I

Brett Vito

DRC: North Texas will reach the five-year anniversary of its first game at Apogee Stadium this fall. Over the next three days, the Denton Record-Chronicle will examine the state of UNT’s program as it reaches a milestone that coincides with a critical point in program history. Today’s story focuses on the facilities arms race among UNT and the schools it competes with in the region.

• Upvote 3

Dickenson plays a key role in scheduling and says UNT is in a tough spot.

“I would love to see some bigger-name opponents coming in here, but it’s going to take more people coming to games on a regular basis to makes those things happen,” Dickenson said.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Thank you Hank for again demonstrating why you shouldn't be Athetic Director. 

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

“I would love to see some bigger-name opponents coming in here, but it’s going to take more people coming to games on a regular basis to makes those things happen,” Dickenson said.

The statement came from a parrot...not an eagle.

200.gif

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

There is no reason that Apogee has not hosted a sell out or two over the past five years.  Work needs to be done to fill the stadium, and the athletic department could make that happen with innovative ideas and hard work.

• Upvote 5

Hank's excuse is Exhibit A in why we must not hire an AD who worked in our athletics department under RV. If all you know is an AD who made excuses for failure and never held himself accountable for anything, you aren't the person to turn it around.

UNT needs somebody who freaks out like Jimmy Johnson whenever someone in the department makes an excuse.

"You have asthma? Get your [bleep] over to the asthma field and have some asthma! The asthma field is over there!"

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

What r u going to do about the attendance? Get off the butt and think outside the box! Maybe post game events or concerts! How about a mudder course event after the game with student teams. I am so sick of this old school crap! This is why I would like the see a younger AD with marketing experience! Cowboys are looser so why go , because it is more than just about the game!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know I've brought this up before,  but doesn't winning fix this? Someone posted that beating scrubs doesn't work, so you have to schedule p5 and build? I'm not sure counting on the visiting team for attendance is necessarily a good long term solution.

54 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

That guy should have already been fired. It's just more and more excuses from these guys. 13th out of 14 teams in CUSA in season ticket sales the year after the Heart of Dallas Bowl win reeks of outright laziness by the athletic department. A TOTAL of 3,900 season tickets last year. Name another large state university where season ticket sales of 12% of stadium capacity would be accepted?

Get both these guys out of Denton. The quicker the better.

How did the team do on the field after the bowl win? Where there a lot of graduations after the win?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

I know I've brought this up before,  but doesn't winning fix this? Someone posted that beating scrubs doesn't work, so you have to schedule p5 and build? I'm not sure counting on the visiting team for attendance is necessarily a good long term solution.

How did the team do on the field after the bowl win? Where there a lot of graduations after the win?

Usually when you have unprecedented success like winning a New Years Day bowl game after doing nothing the previous 10 years, you see a large increase in season ticket sales the next year, no matter who is graduating and who isn't. Because let's be honest, there are about 50 of us that keep up with that crap.

At UNT they were 13 of 14 in CUSA in season ticket sales immediately following that unprecedented success. And season ticket sales actually DECLINED from 2013. That's laziness. That's having a ticket office that doesn't answer the freaking telephone. That is a joke of an athletic department. 

But according to Hank, that is your and my fault.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Tom Herman's quote was so cringey. I'm starting to think I'm becoming disillusioned with college football. If our facilities are only middle of the road, I'm not sure I want to support state of the art.

When you only know middle of the road, apparently you think it's great. 

No showers in the new basketball facility. 

• Upvote 6