Updated Roster

BillySee58

6 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

They are preferred walkons. They are guaranteed a roster spot. The walkons who are not guaranteed a roster spot will not be put on the roster until they officially make the roster

They are not the only 2 preferred walkons, yet they are the only 2 walkons on the roster at this point.  It just struck me as kind of peculiar.  Probably nothing.

I think the thought process with these Juco's is to go better than 1-11 in a year so you seem more desirable of a team to high school recruits.  Not sure how many 4* recruits would actually be interested in a team that went 1-11.  Get to a point were you seem competitive then start reaping the benefits of better talented high school athletes wanting to attend a competitive school.

• Upvote 1

When I was a Hall Director, there were so many new players that weren't on the roster yet that were walking in my halls and going to the practices. I wasn't allowed to say anything here to ease your minds during those times because of privacy stuff... But, that could be the case.

Though, I don't know if that is the case at the moment. I have been out of that gig for over 3 years.

There were some perks being on the inside. And some things I wish I didn't know about too.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Okay, but answer me this, do we want to give 6 or 7 JUCOs blue shirts/gray shirts/whatever?   I mean, shouldn't that be reserved for projects coming out of high school who can be developed over four years instead of guys who might be here only one or two seasons?

If the ultimate goal of a program is to have quality depth in the future, it seems to me that you wouldn't be blue/gray-shirting so many JUCOs.

I would guess Littrell prefers high school players over jucos.  However, not projects as you suggested.  Why tie up a ship with a project hs player rather than a juco even with some baggage?  The juco without doubt should be more immediate help and if you miss doesn't tie up a ship for four to five years.   

I actually think Littrell and staff are a lot more confident that they can turn this program quickly around than the average fan.  However, if you look at NT's current hs recruiting; on paper it is no better than McCarney.   I believe that the plan is to get the program in motion using transfers as the bridge waiting for the time that NT has more to sell to hs players.  

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Okay, but answer me this, do we want to give 6 or 7 JUCOs blue shirts/gray shirts/whatever?   I mean, shouldn't that be reserved for projects coming out of high school who can be developed over four years instead of guys who might be here only one or two seasons?

If the ultimate goal of a program is to have quality depth in the future, it seems to me that you wouldn't be blue/gray-shirting so many JUCOs.

I may be off base here, but I look at the blue shirts as kind of no risk.  We had already filled our 2016 class, but still had holes to fill in the roster.   We offered some high ability guys that, for one reason or another, were still available.  The upside is that they have the potential to fill immediate needs.  The downside is that they may not end up qualifying.

In my mind, it is a no lose situation.  If they get here, great.  If they don't, then you are no worse off than you already were.  Worth the gamble if you think they can contribute.

A slightly different situation is the guys that signed in Feb.  You are definitely counting on them getting to campus and it hurts your 2016 class if they don't because the thought is you have an unused spot in the class.  However, with a group of blue shirt candidates waiting in the wings, you can simply slide one of them into the 2016 class and open up another spot in the 2017 class.  Seems like a decent strategy to me, at least while you are trying to get this thing turned around.  

The vast majority of our juco guys so far have been defense plus a few offensive lineman.  Mostly these are positions that rely on strength and are frequent redshirt candidates to allow their bodies to mature.  Pulling these guys from juco, where they have been on the field, seems just as reasonable as bringing guys up from HS who may not have seen the field much in their first 2 years.

Either way, we are about to find out.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I would guess Littrell prefers high school players over jucos.  However, not projects as you suggested.  Why tie up a ship with a project hs player rather than a juco even with some baggage?  The juco without doubt should be more immediate help and if you miss doesn't tie up a ship for four to five years.   

I actually think Littrell and staff are a lot more confident that they can turn this program quickly around than the average fan.  However, if you look at NT's current hs recruiting; on paper it is no better than McCarney.   I believe that the plan is to get the program in motion using transfers as the bridge waiting for the time that NT has more to sell to hs players.  

Okay, but if we're talking immediate help, blue/grayshirts shouldn't come into play.  That's my point.  If a player is blue/grayshirting, they aren't helping immediately, high school or JUCO, right?

So, all things being equal on the not contributing immediately front, why not spend the time on kids that might be in the program longer?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Okay, but if we're talking immediate help, blue/grayshirts shouldn't come into play.  That's my point.  If a player is blue/grayshirting, they aren't helping immediately, high school or JUCO, right?

So, all things being equal on the not contributing immediately front, why not spend the time on kids that might be in the program longer?

The  blueshirts play right away but count against the next year's class. gray shirts do not play in the first fall semester but are put on scholarship in january. two different concepts. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Ah, good to know.  They've got so many different shirts these days.  Seems like they'd just go back to the old Prop 48 days when they said you have X number on non-qualifiers.  I mean, isn't that what they're doing now anyways with these blue and gray shirts?

Well, technically non qualifiers out of high school have to go to juco so there are no non qualifiers.  These techniques could be used to work with late qualifiers, but not exclusively so.

5 hours ago, Travis said:

When I was a Hall Director, there were so many new players that weren't on the roster yet that were walking in my halls and going to the practices. I wasn't allowed to say anything here to ease your minds during those times because of privacy stuff... But, that could be the case.

Though, I don't know if that is the case at the moment. I have been out of that gig for over 3 years.

There were some perks being on the inside. And some things I wish I didn't know about too.

Make some phone calls I will send you a $20. Never mind I will just contact the NSA! I love inside info!

On July 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

No win now! Just don't cheat. Fix the roster later. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

now the question is... Is William Johnson with them or back in AZ??? would message these guys but not sure if that is allowed.. Hoping we can get word from someone on here about the status of Haynes and Johnson.. 

He could still be taking a class as summer 2 just started a week ago...  good question though --we really need Johnson in the fold this season.

agreed, and don't get why he would take a class(if he is, unless it is an attempt to get into UNT)... Just worried bc I believe Dee posted up a picture on twitter of him and some of the other JUCO guys... Johnson nor Haynes were it in, but neither was Hoston or the RB and few others...

Was hoping we could get some info from someone linked to Johnson about if he has made it or not is all :/ wasn't sure if someone like one the forum like Vito, etc. talked to them or could get a hold of them to find out...

A few roster updates. JUCO QB Devin O'Hara has been added to the roster, JUCO OL Jalen Thomas has been added to the roster (with a sweet jersey number of *), PWO Corey Mann has been added, and former tight end Wylie Reinhardt has been moved to offensive lineman.

This is interesting to me. O'Hara and Thomas were late additions who were blueshirt candidates. The fact that they are listed on the roster doesn't rule them out as blueshirts, but that theoretically means if they are then they are paying their own rent right now since they can't be put on scholarship until the beginning of fall camp.

Also seems weird that Baulkman and Mylam Peters aren't on the roster since they are supposedly in Denton. Baulkman took an official visit and was introduced as a signing of NSD, so he can't be a blueshirt. Peters I believe is a blueshirt candidate. So still too early to know what to make of everything, but just an update.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3