MGB: A look at UNT's QB situation with O'Hara

Brett Vito

Vito triples down.

Lol.

I wonder if Vito realizes that Mason Fine is the same size as Sanbour and had basically the same exact offers, albeit a lone UNT offer because UNT was desperate as hell at the QB position and better recruits UNT wanted didn't want UNT. Absent that one lone offer, Fine is a walk on at a Big 12 program, just like Shanbour...

Vito should also get that Means is most likely on his way out and that leaves UNT short in QB depth. UNT actually needs to add one more because Chumley isn't going to play QB at this level. The quicker Littrell moves him to TE or DE the better.  

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I can't believe I even clicked on his link... SMH IMO he has that order a bit out of whack.  Morris, Shanbour (he knows what the heck we are doing and has spring and summer to work it) O'hara coming in 3rd and Fine will be 4th.  Means and Chumley may as well transfer or be ready for position change.  I would love to see Means put his hand in the ground and get after the passer.  Chumley same thing.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, eagle2014 said:

O'Hara will be the number two by the time the season starts not Shanbour.

AHHHH I feel another bet. 

Not feeling so confident??

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

This will be something fun to watch.  If Littrell has closed practices then it'll be a fun fall of "I heard so and so had a good week".  

Lol yah... Shanbour has 2 HUGE advantages. 1 spent all spring learning the 6-7 concepts they'll run in Passing game, and he'll get to spend ALL summer working on that. 2. He knows exactly what Graham and co. Expect and will be plenty prepared to come through. He will end fall camp No 2. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Lol yah... Shanbour has 2 HUGE advantages. 1 spent all spring learning the 6-7 concepts they'll run in Passing game, and he'll get to spend ALL summer working on that. 2. He knows exactly what Graham and co. Expect and will be plenty prepared to come through. He will end fall camp No 2. 

I agree.  However, if the new kid comes in and wins the No. 2 job then that's a really good sign for him.  I'd bet on Shanbour being No. 2 at the end of camp .  Hopefully whoever is No. 2 has earned it rather than being handed the job due to lack of options. 

• Upvote 1

I really don't understand any controversy about signing another QB.  If Littrell doesn't play his best players than NT has a real problem.  QB is not only a thin position, but it is by far the most important position on this team.  

NT has also signed late jucos at offensive line, defensive end, and running back.  Don't see a lot of posts lamenting all those position players that now have new competition.  

As an aside, it is interesting that all those late signing that Mac use to reward walk-ons or now being directed at transfers.   

• Upvote 3

Honestly, I don't see how anyone, Vito included, can have that much to say about 3 quarterbacks who have thrown a total of 1 pass in a collegiate game, and one who has really great stats and highlights from jc (see previous 3 jc transfers).

Based on what has happened at other places, and the continuing adventures of Johnny Manziel, I'm willing to accept the possibility of any of the 4 guys who have been mentioned, with the strong caveat of keeping them away from alcohol and places it is served, until their eligibility is used up anyway.

And I have watched at least two of those mentioned throw passes in practice, and they looked much more like what we have been told a pass should look like than I have seem in the last 2 years of either floaters or fastballs.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

You normally don't see a QB go to the DEFENSIVE LINE.

If anything he will slide into the "big receiver role" plus it wouldn't hurt having another "football smart" kid on the field.

Football smarts= ability to identify coverages and defensive schemes.  Decipher the play signals quicker and understand the situations on the field.  "Normally" QB's are better at this than other skilled positions.

28 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

If anything he will slide into the "big receiver role" plus it wouldn't hurt having another "football smart" kid on the field.

Football smarts= ability to identify coverages and defensive schemes.  Decipher the play signals quicker and understand the situations on the field.  "Normally" QB's are better at this than other skilled positions.

Chumley had 7-8 offers at TE coming out of HS.  Since we don't really use a true TE (I am not sure he could cut it at H) then may as well give him a shot.  Means runs mean enough I say go for it.  Worst thing that happens they suck for a week and we say back to offense you go?

38 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Chumley had 7-8 offers at TE coming out of HS.  Since we don't really use a true TE (I am not sure he could cut it at H) then may as well give him a shot.  Means runs mean enough I say go for it.  Worst thing that happens they suck for a week and we say back to offense you go?

I can totally see Chumley working out on the defensive side of the ball.  You just have to worry is he one of those "look like Tarzan" "Play like Jane" type of kids.  Does he like contact?  That is the question.  Being as big as he is you would  think he would not turn away from it.  Only 1 spot on defense that you can play and not like contact.  The ball hawk free safety type of player.

I just think Means is to small to play on the D-Line considering his weight especially since we are moving to the 3 man front.  He will be having to play a head up 4 tech and a shade 5.  With his weight he will just be driven back into your LB's.  Raveon will make the perfect DE for this defense, as well as Jaried Combs.

2 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Stranger things have happened.

Just now, Harry said:

Maybe his height but Chum may be 30 pounds heavier than this guy. 

Thats exactly why i think CHum can make the move to the defensive side of the ball.  Still I am worried about his aggression and ability to hit people.

There is a big difference between an offense minded player versus a defensive minded player.

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Maybe not an H out of the backfield, but maybe an H in 2x2 receiver sets? A lot of our old TEs ran out of the Y in 3 receiver sets during the spring game.

He's a big mismatch vs LBs and has good hands.

----------------

Going into the Fall with two startable QBs is not enough. You need a third. And I'm sure this isn't personal to QS or AM5 2.0, as competition is needed on a good FBS team.

Our QB depth is looking more "appropriate".

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Milton Collins; NT's most heralded football signing ever, went from running back to starting in the defensive line.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Milton Collins; NT's most heralded football signing ever, went from running back to starting in the defensive line.  

RB to a position that bangs a lot is understandable.  YOu obviously dont mind contact if you are playing running back.. 11 defenders are trying to tackle you.  QB's on the other hand dont have near as much contact so thats what will be tough for this transition.

2 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

RB to a position that bangs a lot is understandable.  YOu obviously dont mind contact if you are playing running back.. 11 defenders are trying to tackle you.  QB's on the other hand dont have near as much contact so thats what will be tough for this transition.

Not sure how many NT games you watched if you think QB's don't get a lot of contact.  Watch Vizza or Dodge when they were here, they barely survived.  

I do understand your point, rbs expect to get hit.  The conversion wouldn't be easy, but someone with the size and agility of Chumley could do it if they have intangibles to make the change.  

Chumley was a high rated recruit as an athlete projected as either a tight end or a defensive player (most likely DE).  Apparently only NT offered him as a QB.  

Remember, that Brad Kasell, one of the best linebackers ever at NT was a high school QB.