Bryce English - 2016 status

gangrene

From what I understand, the NCAA has eliminated the hardship waiver that allowed players to immediately play at the new school.  Instead, players must sit out a year, but may be granted an additional year of eligibility.

Based on the above, there is absolutely zero chance Bryce English sees the field in 2016.  I just wanted to post this because there seems to be some confusion still about his 2016 status, as evidenced in the article recently published on TexasFootball.com.

English received offers from numerous P5 programs, eventually signing with Kansas State. His stay was short in Manhattan, transferring to North Texas to redshirt in 2015. Bryce’s father played running back at North Texas, rushing for over 1,000 yards in his career. His father, Lee, is now going through medical complications and the NCAA should allow English a hardship waiver to prevent a forced year of lost eligibility. English should be able to play right away in 2016, retaining all four years of eligibility.

And, again, in this initial story on the MGB: Football: UNT transfer follows father’s footsteps

English spent his lone season at Kansas State as a redshirt. A UNT source said the school has yet to make a decision on if it will pursue a hardship waiver that would allow English to be eligible in his first season at UNT in 2016.

The above quotes are inaccurate, per the following:

NCAA.org - Council recommends transfer policy change

The Leadership Council has recommended that student-athletes who are transferring due to difficult life circumstances will have another year to complete their eligibility. This option would eliminate the ability for transfers to receive waivers to play immediately.

Sporting News - NCAA eliminates hardship waivers for transfers

The NCAA will no longer allow transfers to apply for a hardship waiver to become immediately eligible at their new school.

Tulsa had to deal with this last year: NCAA's elimination of hardship waivers devastating news for Khari Harding's family

Harding transferred from Auburn to Tulsa to be closer to his father, who is battling cancer for the second time.

So, if anyone was hoping to have Bryce English this fall (I was), you can forget about it.

I hope Bryce's father doing well in his battle against cancer.

• Upvote 5

Gang is right, however I have been told there have been exceptions.  I tend to agree with gang that the chances of this are remote. 

On the good side, he's a program changing talent and he raises the level of every player on our team.  So even if he can't play this year he is a valuable part of the program.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Gang is right, however I have been told there have been exceptions.  I tend to agree with gang that the chances of this are remote. 

On the good side, he's a program changing talent and he raises the level of every player on our team.  So even if he can't play this year he is a valuable part of the program.

Yep.

And if he's ineligible this year, he's going to make Rentfro, Rice, & Henson better players while eating their lunch during practices.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, gangrene said:

From what I understand, the NCAA has eliminated the hardship waiver that allowed players to immediately play at the new school.  Instead, players must sit out a year, but may be granted an additional year of eligibility.

Based on the above, there is absolutely zero chance Bryce English sees the field in 2016.  I just wanted to post this because there seems to be some confusion still about his 2016 status, as evidenced in the article recently published on TexasFootball.com.

And, again, in this initial story on the MGB: Football: UNT transfer follows father’s footsteps

Tulsa had to deal with this last year: NCAA's elimination of hardship waivers devastating news for Khari Harding's family

So, if anyone was hoping to have Bryce English this fall (I was), you can forget about it.

Is this 90 in drag?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, gangrene said:

Just goes to show that a lot of so called 'experts' don't really know or keep up with things.  Even our coaching staff seemed confused (or they know something we all don't know). 

When you want to know the real scoop, come to GMG.com.  There were people on here sharing reality just after the announcement.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

And by exceptions you mean "if you go to a major p5 team", right? ?

• Upvote 2

There are no exceptions, even for P5s. He won't be eligible this year, but also won't lose that year of eligibility. 

The NCAA specifically made a rule directly on point to his situation. Appeal all you want, you ain't winning. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

^. Having him just being in the program for an extra year even while sitting out raises the standard at North Texas. Bet your ass he will be an intricate part of UNT Football moving forward, particularly in helping to reach out during prime recruiting months. 

• Upvote 2