10 things from the 2016 UNT Spring scrimmage

Harry

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think people attach to him because he's an underdog story. He's an undersized, walk-on football player playing QB. Though good in some areas, he has issues in others. He had 3 or 4 balls batted at the LOS yesterday against 2nd team D. Though this can't be proven due to 0 playing time, but I would say he is an injury prone player waiting to happen. He has a little bit of wheels on him that he seemingly likes to use and that will not bode well for him on just one bad decision cut-back. Just looking at him I would say he's 5'10" 190lbs. IF they are going to use him they will need to over-utilize RB's and TE's in the passing game. Dump offs/flat throws and big targets are a short QB's best friend.  But, hey, if he gives us the best shot at dub's then throw him out there. Makes no difference to me. Just win. 

Also, Goree needs to put on weight. He looks like he is 1 missed meal away from being in the 160's and he's a Jr off the field. Kind of unacceptable at this point. 

I watched most of the scrimmage on my phone yesterday and saw a couple of his long runs. He's faster than I expected and I was told that, when healthy, he is very fast. 5'10"X190 is stouter than Riley Dodge (not a good example Dodge was hurt a lot), but I find it interesting that everyone is concerned about him taking hits. and I don't hear any of the same concerns about Marcel Porter who is playing RB and is all of 5'7" X 177. 

The trick is to never give anyone a head-on clear shot at you. This is where good peripheral vision comes in handy. Good/superior peripheral vision is absolutely essential for the good health and well being of QB's and RB's.  

• Upvote 5

Just now, SilverEagle said:

I watched most of the scrimmage on my phone yesterday and saw a couple of his long runs. He's faster than I expected and I was told that, when healthy, he is very fast. 5'10"X190 is stouter than Riley Dodge (not a good example Dodge was hurt a lot), but I find it interesting that everyone is concerned about him taking hits. and I don't hear any of the same concerns about Marcel Porter who is playing RB and is all of 5'7" X 177. 

The trick is to never give anyone a head-on clear shot at you. This is where good peripheral vision comes in handy. Good/superior peripheral vision is absolutely essential for the good health and well being of QB's and RB's.  

RB's know how to bob and weave out of 100% impact hits. QB's usually don't and that is where the problem will lie. Regardless of who starts, both QB's need to be facilitators and must do it quicker. We have playmakers, they must get them the ball in space while going 100mph. 

• Downvote 1

SilverEagle--I am curious, did you use to coach football?--you are extremely smart when it comes to football. I like how you break the players down and give us your assessment. Who do you think is our best QB , WR, LB, DB, RB, and overall player and why.  What is your prediction next year wins- losses etc. I was talking to a former player from last year (yesterday) and he says we are miles ahead of where they were in Spring Ball last year. He says they are getting coached up unlike the previous regime ---what is your take on the coaching that you have seen in the spring practices. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

RB's know how to bob and weave out of 100% impact hits. QB's usually don't and that is where the problem will lie. 

It's not just a matter of "knowing how."  A QB standing tall in the pocket is much more vulnerable than an RB staying low with his momentum going forward.

really liked what I saw from the defense. Overload pressures, pressures from multiple positions. Man coverage. It was a lot of fun watching those guys pin their ears back and get after the QB. O-line is a worry, but I have faith in Littrell and staff. 

I hope we mix in some pistol looks to get the run game and Wilson more involved. Ivery will be a key weapon that we need back as well. The slot position will be the key in the success of the passing game and I like what I saw from 87. Hopefully Dillman gets more looks. If we have consistency between the hashes, the outside will open up more.

Shanbour was, in my opinion, much better than Morris. He found an open read and ripped it, also showing good awareness to pull the ball and take off as needed. Morris has about a DT level arm from what I can tell. An upgrade from McNuggets no doubt, but hardly a world beater. If we played smu next week I would give Shanbour the nod. Hopefully this lights a fire under Morris' ass to get better

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Couldn't make it to the game.  Read this whole thread though, & not a single mention of Dillman ...with many commenting that there wasn't much WR depth behind Goree.  Was he not out there, or was he just that underwhelming?

Good observation.  I watched the stream and didn't notice him or hear his name called.

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Good observation.  I watched the stream and didn't notice him or hear his name called.

So I did watch him.  He was mostly blocking out of the h-back position.  He physically looks good, 6-4 258?  Anyhow, he has good speed to the block.  Still a ways away from being a dominate blocker but I saw some good promise Ina couple of plays where he had to kick out the end.   We have to keep in mind that he's still just a freshman and he's changing positions.   Should be an interesting guy to watch.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

So I did watch him.  He was mostly blocking out of the h-back position.  He physically looks good, 6-4 258?  Anyhow, he has good speed to the block.  Still a ways away from being a dominate blocker but I saw some good promise Ina couple of plays where he had to kick out the end.   We have to keep in mind that he's still just a freshman and he's changing positions.   Should be an interesting guy to watch.

There you go--leave it to Harry to come through. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Thanks Harry.   Hope he gets a little more use than just a blocking H-back.

When Coach Ruffin and Lincoln Riley brought the Air Raid/Spread to ECU it took a full 3 years for us to see the results we were hoping for when the system was introduced. Everything about NOrth Texas will have to be oriented towards this type of Offense. This includes finding the right type of players to play OL, WR, RB and Qb. There are body types and speed guys that Littrell is going to need to recruit to make this system work.

Be patient as I believe LIttrell knows what he is doing. The Ol for example will need tall guys that pass block first, run block second. Wr's will need to be speed guys who are good at YAC. WR's are given lots of freedom in this offense so he will need to recruit smart guys as well. RB's need to be able to run stretch plays, dart plays, and counter plays. 

The offense wil require to Littrell to rebuild the bones of the Offense. This includes players and mindset.

• Upvote 3