North Texas & Memphis One and One?

21 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

So who are we going to bring in, besides the possibility of OK State? (if I'm remembering their schedule openings correctly) We already brought in a P5 into Apogee before. Think TCU's history with G5 opponents.

Lol. We aren't TCU. We bought in the worst P5 in the NCAA that had zero regional connection.

I'm not the AD, but I do know the AD at Arkansas St., SMU, LaLa, La Tech, Old Dominion, Charolette, and any number of other G5s and conference mates have figured out a way to get it done. UNT hasn't.

Rick Villarreal and Neal Smatresk, quickly becoming co-identified as the problem.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

31 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Lol. We aren't TCU. We bought in the worst P5 in the NCAA that had zero regional connection.

I'm not the AD, but I do know the AD at Arkansas St., SMU, LaLa, La Tech, Old Dominion, Charolette, and any number of other G5s and conference mates have figured out a way to get it done. UNT hasn't.

Rick Villarreal and Neal Smatresk, quickly becoming co-identified as the problem.

Lol! SMU... So getting outnumbered by the opposing team's fans in your own stadium is considered figuring it out? Brah, We darn near made their stadium 48 to 50% green last season. And when they play A&M or Baylor, it looks like Waco or College Station's away field.

The problem lines with obviously the lack of productivity in our AD and the fact that UNT isn't a product that the casual fan will be willing to see in our current state. SMU doesn't have that product either. Yes, getting a little more recognizable opponent will help get the respect the program oh so badly needs. But we need a little middle ground to build our foundation on before we start taking on the bigger fish in the sea. Just admit that Memphis was a good grab by RV, I don't like the guy either, but that can be put on his very short list of positives here at NT.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Lol! SMU... So getting outnumbered by the opposing team's fans in your own stadium is considered figuring it out? Brah, We darn near made their stadium 48 to 50% green last season. And when they play A&M or Baylor, it looks like Waco or College Station's away field.

The problem lines with obviously the lack of productivity in our AD and the fact that UNT isn't a product that the casual fan will be willing to see in our current state. SMU doesn't have that product either. Yes, getting a little more recognizable opponent will help get the respect the program oh so badly needs. But we need a little middle ground to build our foundation on before we start taking on the bigger fish in the sea. Just admit that Memphis was a good grab by RV, I don't like the guy either, but that can be put on his very short list of positives here at NT.

Building ground in 2024? Lol!

Typical UNT fan thought process.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

Just now, GreenTexan13 said:

Disagreeing with the one good thing RV does in awhile and constantly looking for a negative in every situation involving UNT

Typical UNT90 thought process

It's a below average thing from a terrible AD. You only view it as good because of all the terrible crap you have had to put up with in the scheduling department, and really everywhere and everything else involving major athletics at UNT over the last 2 years. 

Congrats on being brainwashed to expect less.

4 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I'll give credit where credit is due, this is cool.

You give credit for a very average scheduling get. Let's be clear.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It's a below average thing from a terrible AD. You only view it as good because of all the terrible crap you have had to put up with in the scheduling department, and really everywhere and everything else involving major athletics at UNT over the last 2 years. 

So are you saying that the SMU and Army series is a wash too? The FCS go to's is absolutely the terrible crap you're talking about. RV dug us a bigger crap hole with the Port St loss... But I wouldn't say the SMU and Army series isn't a below average thing for a G5 program. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Nothing short of us getting a home and home with Texas could undo the piss poor planning and scheduling of years past, not to mention broken promises in terms of who would come play at Apogee. This is still a good get IMO.

27 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

So are you saying that the SMU and Army series is a wash too? The FCS go to's is absolutely the terrible crap you're talking about. RV dug us a bigger crap hole with the Port St loss... But I wouldn't say the SMU and Army series isn't a below average thing for a G5 program. 

SMU is too long and worth way less than other nearby G5s because they bring zero fans to Apogee due to apathy and a tiny enrollment. Army is ok. The glaring omission is any P5 program. In the next 10 years. Look at conference mates schedules. 

The fact that the schedule is already so game locked and this is another non P5 make this a particularly bad series. 

Remember, I'm the guy that warned you about 2015's schedule way back in 2012...

Scheduling football games is the single worst thing this AD does, and there are lots of things to choose from.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

IG6Utx.gif

• Upvote 6

This series must be a really good thing or there would not be such desperation by one poster to discredit it, at least from the quoted posts that I see. It's possible this isn't true in the unquoted parts.

I've seen a number of new series announcements from other schools, both P5 and G5, all in the 2020 to 2025 range. That appears to be the norm in today's FBS world. I also notice that while some P5 conferences are discouraging the scheduling of FCS schools, there are some still happening and I haven't seen  any canceling any previously scheduled games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

This series must be a really good thing or there would not be such desperation by one poster to discredit it, at least from the quoted posts that I see. It's possible this isn't true in the unquoted parts.

I've seen a number of new series announcements from other schools, both P5 and G5, all in the 2020 to 2025 range. That appears to be the norm in today's FBS world. I also notice that while some P5 conferences are discouraging the scheduling of FCS schools, there are some still happening and I haven't seen  any canceling any previously scheduled games. 

Right, because your "trust RV about 2015" worked out so well, didn't it? 

You really have zero expectations for UNT athletics, which I'm kinda envious of because it really is the way you should approach being a UNT fan if you don't want to go crazy. It's beyond clear that UNT itself has zero commitment to athletic success.

I'd think my knowledge and predictive ability on this subject would cause you some pause. Then again, I think if I said it was sunny outside today, you would disagree because I said it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

Memphis is a mid-level school with whom UNT shares some history.  I'm fine with this series.

They will be the best home opponent in OOC at Apogee since we opened the place up in 2011. The problem with that is that we were told several times that Apogee would open up lots of better OOC games for the fans to see. Instead, our last opponent at Fouts remains light years ahead of anyone else that has come to Denton. Memphis is a fine game to schedule and I am glad we have that deal signed. And Army and SMU are fine, but the series are too long. And SMU will buy this one out if they get any good--its their MO. Right now, they need the game at home for attendance and its a game their fans expect to win. When we throw a wrench into that setup by winning against them or lowering their strength of schedule when they get good again (if??) they will buy this thing out very quickly. And then we can see who RV will schedule to replace them--after watching us handle Tulsa leaving, I wouldn't expect anything good.

Memphis is about as good as RV can do--so I applaud him for actually accomplishing something better than Butt Cookman or Incarnate Word...

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Guys, a 1-for-1 with Memphis is just fine and dandy, but this should be the base-line for our scheduling, not the crown jewel.

Yes you are correct.  But let us not  diminish this series based on the sins of the past.

And because we just loooooove to compare ourselves. How about some standouts through 2024 from our conference brethren. And this is just home games.

FIU - Indiana, Maryland, UCF [!!]
Marshall - Louisville
Western Kentucky - Vanderbilt
Rice - Baylor
UTSA - Arizona State
UNT - SMU

[also I note that Army seems to have  a series with a lot of CUSA teams...]

MUTS - Vanderbilt
Old Dominion - North Carolina
LaTech - Mississippi State
Rice - Stanford
SoMiss - Kentucky
UTEP - Arizona
UTSA - Houston
UNT - Army

FIU - Indiana
Old Dominion - Virginia Tech
Rice - Houston
UTSA - Baylor
UNT - SMU

FAU
 - UCF
FIU - Miami (FL)
Marshall - Cincinnati
MUTS - Duke
Rice - Wake Forest, Baylor
UNT - Army

FAU
 - USF
Marshall - Pittsburgh, Boise State
Old Dominion - Wake Forest, Virginia
UTEP - Texas Tech
UNT - SMU

Charlotte
 - Duke
WKU - Indiana
LaTech - Baylor
Rice - Houston
UTSA - Memphis
UNT - Army

Charlotte
 - Maryland
MUTS - Missouri
UTEP - Boise State
UNT - SMU

WKU - USF
UTSA - Houston
UNT - Memphis

Old Dominion - Virginia Tech [what is this? an extended P5 series with a recent FCS -jumper?!]
Rice - Boise State
UNT - SMU

If people can't find the disparity in there, especially with Rice, then I don't know what to tell you.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

How about some standouts through 2024 from our conference brethren. And this is just home games.

r1HGFou3mUwMw.gif

So could we please all stop digging our heels and just expect better?

Raise your expectations.

Memphis is just ok. We can do better. Can't we? Can't we.

• Upvote 4

I like the alternating series of Army & SMU.  They're both names that are recognizable by the average fan & they both should be beatable.  In addition SMU is an easy away trip & Army is an opportunity to thank our veterans.  I don't think this is bad scheduling at all.  Thanks Rick! (He says with synchopanthic (is that the right word & spelling '90?) fervor).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

And because we just loooooove to compare ourselves. How about some standouts through 2024 from our conference brethren. And this is just home games.

FIU - Indiana, Maryland, UCF [!!]
Marshall - Louisville
Western Kentucky - Vanderbilt
Rice - Baylor
UTSA - Arizona State
UNT - SMU

[also I note that Army seems to have  a series with a lot of CUSA teams...]

MUTS - Vanderbilt
Old Dominion - North Carolina
LaTech - Mississippi State
Rice - Stanford
SoMiss - Kentucky
UTEP - Arizona
UTSA - Houston
UNT - Army

FIU - Indiana
Rice - Houston
UTSA - Baylor
UNT - SMU

FAU
 - UCF
FIU - Miami (FL)
Marshall - Cincinnati
MUTS - Duke
Rice - Wake Forest, Baylor
UNT - Army

FAU
 - USF
Marshall - Pittsburgh, Boise State
Old Dominion - Wake Forest, Virginia
UTEP - Texas Tech
UNT - SMU

Charlotte
 - Duke
WKU - Indiana
LaTech - Baylor
Rice - Houston
UTSA - Memphis
UNT - Army

Charlotte
 - Maryland
MUTS - Missouri
UTEP - Boise State
UNT - SMU

WKU - USF
UTSA - Houston
UNT - Memphis

Old Dominion - Virginia Tech [what is this? an extended P5 series with a recent FCS -jumper?!]
Rice - Boise State
UNT - SMU

If people can't find the disparity in there, especially with Rice, then I don't know what to tell you.

UTSA and Rice are getting Baylor..... I can see the issue of the DFW market already being taken up by Jerry World games and TCU. Obviously that should not be an excuse... But I think it will be kind of hard to get most of the Big 12 team to come play us in Apogee, if we have nothing more to offer then the other DFW games. No reason why RV shouldn't be able to bring a team like Kansas or Iowa to come play us. It seems like the Pac 12 have come played the yard birds in San Antone... What is RV's big excuse this time? 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenTexan13 said:

UTSA and Rice are getting Baylor..... I can see the issue of the DFW market already being taken up by Jerry World games and TCU. Obviously that should not be an excuse... But I think it will be kind of hard to get most of the Big 12 team to come play us in Apogee, if we have nothing more to offer then the other DFW games. No reason why RV shouldn't be able to bring a team like Kansas or Iowa to come play us. It seems like the Pac 12 have come played the yard birds in San Antone... What is RV's big excuse this time? 

The Jerryworld excuse is crap. Rice has Houston to compete with. 

Great illustration by Chris about the suck that is Rick Villarreal football scheduling, but by all means UNT fans, keep expecting less.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, GreenTexan13 said:

It might be easier to get P5 schools to play in Apogee if we bite the bullet and allow 2-for-1 arrangements. If that shift in scheduling philosophy does happen, we shouldn't complain when we end up with 5 home game seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

The Jerryworld excuse is crap. Rice has Houston to compete with. 

No offense, but Rice generally gets more and better P5 teams at home than UH because: 

1)  They'll do 2-for-1 and 3-for-1 and/or have their "home" games at NRG stadium.

2)  They're generally considered an easier win.

Even the OU-Houston game at NRG is considered a neutral site game, while Rice games at NRG are considered home games.

• Upvote 3