MGB: UNT's options dwindle as Smith departs

Brett Vito

MAYBE...Littrell has done his player evaluations with Harrell and feels that one or more of the three left will do a good job of backing up Morris without him having to throw Fine to the wolves. We'll know after the Spring Game when we see what his offense asks the QB to do, IMO. I've wondered what we might have in the quarterbacks that have spent time folded and stacked on the shelf while we endured the Hawkeye Wonderboy and a QB I supported who turned out not to be able to hit a bull in the ass with a brushpile if he was close.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 6

Smith was our safety net and now we have none. Or at least not one with any PT. I'm starting to warm up to Shanbour for assuming that role. He's got some years on him, and unlike Fine, he's currently got a D1 football body as far as weight is concerned. Maturity and arm strength can mean everything in this kind of system, and I sure hope to get a much better look at him this spring.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

MAYBE...Littrell has done his player evaluations with Harrell and feels that one or more of the three left will do a good job of backing up Morris without him having to throw Fine to the wolves. We'll know after the Spring Game when we see what his offense asks the QB to do, IMO. I've wondered what we might have in the quarterbacks that have spent time folded and stacked on the shelf while we endured the Hawkeye Wonderboy and a QB I supported who turned out not to be able to hit a bull in the ass with a brushpile if he was close.

giphy.gif

Love it.

• Upvote 1

UNT will now continue its search for a solution at quarterback with Smith out of the picture. That search hasn’t been fruitful since Derek Thompson helped lead the Mean Green to a win over UNLV in the 2013 Heart of Dallas Bowl.

It wouldn't be a Vito Article with out him mentioning DT and the HOD Bowl. Thank you Vito for your continued sacrifice

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I do appreciate the coverage that Vito does for UNT athletics. However, I am frankly tired of his writing style. Maybe I've been reading his articles too long, but his redundancy in his writing (e.g., Derek Thompson, etc.) is really boring and tiresome. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

Smith was our safety net and now we have none. Or at least not one with any PT. I'm starting to warm up to Shanbour for assuming that role. He's got some years on him, and unlike Fine, he's currently got a D1 football body as far as weight is concerned. Maturity and arm strength can mean everything in this kind of system, and I sure hope to get a much better look at him this spring.

Safety net?? With the way he performed last season I would just as soon see us use one of the other players or maybe even the incoming Freshman

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1