DaMarcus Smith kicked off team

MeanGreenDan

This just confirms what a few of us said about Smith not being anyone you can count on. I remember a few posters talking about how Damarcus Smith will really get the chance to show his talent under Littrell, that the challenge will make him rise to the occasion. There was literally nothing about his background or his time here that suggested this could occur. He ended up here for a reason. You don't choose to be a QB under Dan McCarney if you have decent choices. He didn't.

As for this year, Morris will have to be healthy and damn near all-conference for this thing to get to 3 wins. Its very possible that we match our last season's win total. We have no QB depth or knowledge of if he can even play, we have no depth or size in the front seven, and our OL is still very raw. When you combine those three things together for a football team, then add in a brand new, never-been-a-head-coach-before leader who is installing an offense that is 180 degrees opposite of what the entire roster has been built to run for the last few years, and sprinkle in the absolute hardest Eastern CUSA opponents we could get, it doesn't paint a picture for success on the field.

As I have said many times, 2016 is all about cleaning up the locker room from the quitters that showed up last year and also winning battles in recruiting. If we do that and go 1-11 on the field, it will still be a successful season. If you are gonna measure success only for Littrell's first squad on the scoreboard, its gonna be a colossal failure and people are going to claim he is a bust. There is no way you can know if Littrell is a bust anytime in the next 2 years, for sure, with the absolute dog$hit roster he has inherited, both from a talent standpoint and from a heart standpoint. When you quit on the university and allow yourselves to get beat in the worst loss in modern college football history, you aren't talking about character being a real high quality that can overcome the lack of talent he has inherited.

This is 2013 Southern Miss, version 2.0...just with an incredibly awful AD.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

This just confirms what a few of us said about Smith not being anyone you can count on. I remember a few posters talking about how Damarcus Smith will really get the chance to show his talent under Littrell, that the challenge will make him rise to the occasion. There was literally nothing about his background or his time here that suggested this could occur. He ended up here for a reason. You don't choose to be a QB under Dan McCarney if you have decent choices. He didn't.

As for this year, Morris will have to be healthy and damn near all-conference for this thing to get to 3 wins. Its very possible that we match our last season's win total. We have no QB depth or knowledge of if he can even play, we have no depth or size in the front seven, and our OL is still very raw. When you combine those three things together for a football team, then add in a brand new, never-been-a-head-coach-before leader who is installing an offense that is 180 degrees opposite of what the entire roster has been built to run for the last few years, and sprinkle in the absolute hardest Eastern CUSA opponents we could get, it doesn't paint a picture for success on the field.

This is the scary thing about next season. Every time Morris takes more than 2 seconds to get up after he gets hit will seem like an eternity.

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Think he is saying roster turnover.  With a new staff comes a new culture., new expectations, and new work habits.  Either adjust or move along.  

Yes, but Mccarney was an awful roster manager. Three of the last four classes were small (those three had 16 or less high school signees), including Littrell's 2016 class because of walkons taking up spots.

So here's the concern for the 2017 class. Back with our 2014 class we had to use 4 spots on walkons placed on scholarship before participating for 2 seasons with us as walkon said. Then we had 5 more guys do that the next year, but they didn't count towards the 2015 class, as Mccarey signed a full class. Then this year we were told that we only had 20 spots. 

I think Mccarney may have deferred those walkons to the 2016 class, meaning we might have to defer Gunter, Rice, Fernandes, and Daniel Khan to our 2017 class. It would suck, but I'm scared those guys are going to have to count towards the 2017 class

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Based on his Instagram, looks like he has other priorities...

https://www.instagram.com/damarcussmith10/

Yeah, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he didn't take care of his grades during football season. Other than last spring when he had to sit out and get his grades in order, he was failing classes every semester. A reliable poster said on here that he failed every class at Butler. That's why I always thought it'd be a minor miracle if he played two seasons here. Or at least as drastic an academic turnaround as you'll ever see in college.

• Upvote 1

Kid's had a difficult journey. Been to a bunch of different schools, has a little girl, his best friend who was like a brother to him got murdered right before the game against Marshall last season. Does his little girl live in Louisville or did his girl move down here? 

I doubt this is just a new coach, transfer QB problem kinda situation. 

• Upvote 2

On March 10, 2016 at 9:10 AM, GMG24 said:

Think he is saying roster turnover.  With a new staff comes a new culture., new expectations, and new work habits.  Either adjust or move along.  One thing I will say to all the D.  Smith told you so people, just remember this guys brother was shot and killed about 6 months ago.   He has had an up and down ride. I hope he can go somewhere work hard and become the player he is capable of. Shame on his PARENTS for letting him get by all that time without forcing him to work.  Possibly ( yes a very long shot) cost this kid a shot at the NFL.

Fixed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

4 hours ago, TheWestie said:

Kid's had a difficult journey. Been to a bunch of different schools, has a little girl, his best friend who was like a brother to him got murdered right before the game against Marshall last season. Does his little girl live in Louisville or did his girl move down here? 

I doubt this is just a new coach, transfer QB problem kinda situation. 

Don't let "life" convince some of these people otherwise. Mamma and daddy kept a nice bubble around them through their youth and life has been one easy going ride for them. Studying for an SAT and interviewing for their first job was the hardest thing they ever faced. Asking them  to understand is like asking them to move a mountain. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Just now, GMG24 said:

Seem to remember an interview where he mentioned no father, and his coaches bringing him up, etc. I could be wrong. 

Right. Coaches shouldn't be raising people's kids. Shocking, but sometimes coaches put their own needs above those of their players. Parents should be involved to keep that in check. 

Dont rely on someone else to raise  your kids.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Right. Coaches shouldn't be raising people's kids. Shocking, but sometimes coaches put their own needs above those of their players. Parents should be involved to keep that in check. 

Dont rely on someone else to raise  your kids.

Don't disagree, but a lot of times coaches spend as much or more time with those kids.  It is definitely nice having parents involved and you're just support.  However, that isn't always the case which is why 99% of people who coach do what they do.  They care about kids and want to help.  My coaches impact on my life is the SOLE reason I got into coaching.  I wanted to make the same impact on others lives that my coaches made on mine.  Particularly when my family went through some rough stuff.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Don't disagree, but a lot of times coaches spend as much or more time with those kids.  It is definitely nice having parents involved and you're just support.  However, that isn't always the case which is why 99% of people who coach do what they do.  They care about kids and want to help.  My coaches impact on my life is the SOLE reason I got into coaching.  I wanted to make the same impact on others lives that my coaches made on mine.  Particularly when my family went through some rough stuff.  

I get it, and you were lucky to have and to be that influence. But as a parent, you shouldn't rely on that to automatically be there. It's your responsibility to raise your children, not a high school coach's. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

I get it, and you were lucky to have and to be that influence. But as a parent, you shouldn't rely on that to automatically be there. That's all I'm saying.

No doubt. 

Edit: shouldn't we be name calling and such? 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

On March 10, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Eagle-96 said:

OR

Smith and the staff mutually agreed to part ways due to reasons that none of us do or should know. I love it when people automatically assume its due to grades, attitude, work ethic, etc...It's even better when people come on here and say emphatically that they KNOW it was because of these reasons. Better yet they heard it from the coach! IF, and that's a BIG IF, Coach Littrell told anyone outside of the staff that Smith was released due to grades, work ethic, etc... then Coach Littrell is doing a huge disservice to himself, the university, and the athletic department by airing this to anyone that does not have a need to know. And yes, the 17 don't need to know.

Bravo!!

• Downvote 1

I know you guys are home team fans, but Mason is going from a low division Oklahoma high school team to FBS football. The game speed is going to be dizzying to him for a while. Plus, he needs to put on some muscle to hold up to hits from 300 pound linemen. A redshirt year is best for both him and UNT.

That said, nothing would make UNT fans happier than to have a productive true freshman at QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I know you guys are home team fans, but Mason is going from a low division Oklahoma high school team to FBS football. The game speed is going to be dizzying to him for a while. Plus, he needs to put on some muscle to hold up to hits from 300 pound linemen. A redshirt year is best for both him and UNT.

That said, nothing would make UNT fans happier than to have a productive true freshman at QB. 

^What he said^ See Riley Dodge.

Riley%20Dodge-M.jpg

• Upvote 1