The Dude Does Not Abide

I think it got to be like this when it became apparent and undeniable that the athlertic department as a whole is in really bad shape (yes I know there are exceptions: soccer, Tennis, mens Golf maybe some other program, but just simply none of those that really have us abuzz). When Football is horrific, mens Basketball is in a hopeless spot and womens basketball is in year 1 of a rebuild, there is oh so little to keep positive about. And it lays bare all the tensions that were always there but maybe could be painted over a bit. But now there is nothing left. So when somebody is a negative ned in common times he will become even more so and can go to the most unbearable level to vent his frustrations, and when someone tries to be optimistic in this kind of situation it seems just blind to reality and can come across as unwillingness to address the problem.

We really do need this AD to be gone. WE as board members need it. More even than the athletes. because the board will be a better place afterwards and everybody will b having hope and going in the same direction again.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

I think it got to be like this when it became apparent and undeniable that the athlertic department as a whole is in really bad shape (yes I know there are exceptions: soccer, Tennis, mens Golf maybe some other program, but just simply none of those that really have us abuzz). When Football is horrific, mens Basketball is in a hopeless spot and womens basketball is in year 1 of a rebuild, there is oh so little to keep positive about. And it lays bare all the tensions that were always there but maybe could be painted over a bit. But now there is nothing left. So when somebody is a negative ned in common times he will become even more so and can go to the most unbearable level to vent his frustrations, and when someone tries to be optimistic in this kind of situation it seems just blind to reality and can come across as unwillingness to address the problem.

We really do need this AD to be gone. WE as board members need it. More even than the athletes. because the board will be a better place afterwards and everybody will b having hope and going in the same direction again.

I can appreciate that explanation.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

Yep.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

There's a lot of built up anger around here due to all the damn losing. We need release as mean green fans in the form of winning. 

It's like hitting the bar and not getting any real weekend action for months. Lotion and clicking around on tube8 can only take you so far....

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

There's a lot of built up anger around here due to all the damn losing. We need release as mean green fans in the form of winning. 

It's like hitting the bar and not getting any real weekend action for months. Lotion and clicking around on tube8 can only take you so far....

For me, it's not the losing so much as the cause of the losing having zero consequences and rich friends that protect and care more about the cause of losing than the student athletes or UNT.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

I believe it is a lot more hostile around here now. And it's sort of a good thing, and it's RV's fault but maybe not in the way you think initially.

During his tenure, especially the last 6 years a lot of things got in place that most of us thought were needed to actually make this thing a success. New stadium, new conference, actually having big money donors (the 17). Remember when if someone gave a million dollars it was shocking and a rarity? Basketball tourney appearances, FB in 2013.

Well all of that raised expectations. The excuses have been removed. The fact we are terrible at all 3 big sports right now has people freaking out. We thought it was going to be different because everything is there now. You can't blame it on any of those convenient excuses ewe always had. Yet we are probably worse than ever before combined.

So everyone's patience level has changed. Expectations are the difference.

• Upvote 7

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I believe it is a lot more hostile around here now. And it's sort of a good thing, and it's RV's fault but maybe not in the way you think initially.

During his tenure, especially the last 6 years a lot of things got in place that most of us thought were needed to actually make this thing a success. New stadium, new conference, actually having big money donors (the 17). Remember when if someone gave a million dollars it was shocking and a rarity? Basketball tourney appearances, FB in 2013.

Well all of that raised expectations. The excuses have been removed. The fact we are terrible at all 3 big sports right now has people freaking out. We thought it was going to be different because everything is there now. You can't blame it on any of those convenient excuses ewe always had. Yet we are probably worse than ever before combined.

Very solid post.  Expectations have been raised and with good reason.

Empty handed and the dumbass in charge is still in charge. The probable Benford decision to stay or go has left me with no hope around athletics in general. It also just solidifies Neal Smastrek is a gum bumper that only has blanks to shoot. We literally suck at everything except women's soccer and somehow the pathetic little weasel in charge has some sort of invisible forcefield around him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Good post.

I would add that if new facilities (especially Apogee) and upgraded (somewhat) conference affiliation was supposed to get us much more competitive, then why haven't the recruits noticed? From what I observed during this last recruiting round our new (and young and energetic) staff struggled to get three or four or five star recruits to come here to visit much less sign on the dotted line. 

Why is that? If we really wanted to know how to improve our athletic department we ought to make contact with those players that we really wanted and who we thought we had a chance with, but went somewhere else. You can't buy anything on-line these days without that on-line company asking you to evaluate your buying, or near buying experience (I got a thank you from Sams for browsing their web-site) with them. Have we thought about doing the same thing?

Now, HERE is a volunteer project that I would gladly participate in. Give me a list of players and their contact information, that we targeted in the past to sign here but went another direction, and I will get this University some feed-back. 

That's assuming of course that this University, or more to the point, this athletic department, really wants honest feed-back from someone other than frustrated, disheartened and angry alumni.

• Upvote 1