Seth Litrell's new DL coach Derrick Leblanc

Tyler Maryak

14 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

I know nothing about Pearl River CC, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. Good get? I mean...getting a DC as a DL coach is good, right?

OK.  He is a Louisiana guy, so hopefully it opens some doors down there, and in the MACJC conference, which churns out some nice players every year.   Worked at LSU as a Strength/Conditioning assistant & then Wyoming as a DL coach and Southern Miss as a DL coach.

EDIT:   Also, thread title is confusing as we already have a DC in Ekeler.   This would be the DL coach.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I like it. Staff is versatile, good P5 and G5 experience. Good mix of age and youth. I think we'll be alright this season, and for many to come

Exactly my thoughts as well.  I like they have a great mix of Texas ties. But also Oklahoma , Georgia , and Louisiana ties. And on the defensive side of the ball you have 3 guys with DC experience. 

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, untcampbell said:

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/college/southern-miss/football/2014/12/01/leblanc-out-at-usm/19739101/

I don't understand why we would want a guy who was the only guy on staff fired from a 3-9 USM team that went 9-5 the year after he left(this year).

Kwahn Drake, Eric Roark, and Marc Yellock are all out there looking for jobs. Color me underwhelmed.

Wow, -1's for not being excited to hire a guy who was fired from his last CUSA job and not because the staff got fired, he was the only one fired. I guess the JUCO DC part is what rocks your socks. You guys have me feeling like @UNT90 here. Sunshine pumping and all.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.  He is a Louisiana guy, so hopefully it opens some doors down there, and in the MACJC conference, which churns out some nice players every year.   Worked at LSU as a Strength/Conditioning assistant & then Wyoming as a DL coach and Southern Miss as a DL coach.

EDIT:   Also, thread title is confusing as we already have a DC in Ekeler.   This would be the DL coach.

I think you'll see us recruiting Louisiana quite a bit with some of these new guys like Reffett, Brown, and this guy. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Coach O recruiting said it was a big hire. 

What if he brought this guy with him as a package deal??? 

http://247sports.com/Player/Maquedius-Bain-13906

Decommitted last week from UAB

Good gravy, look at this guy's offer list out of H.S.:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Maquedius-Bain-131770

Landing him would instantly make the DL a strength once English is eligible... whenever that may be.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think you'll see us recruiting Louisiana quite a bit with some of these new guys like Reffett, Brown, and this guy. 

Would be nice to find a few needles in the hay stack! Covering SW and some of the SE for recruiting could be exciting! He may have a few guys in his back pocket?

UAB is allowed to sign JUCO players this class who don't have their grades in order and give them a year to get it straight without losing eligibility. That's why they have a plethora of former SEC signees who transferred to JUCOs and are now committed to them.

JMO, Maybe he will consider us but I wouldn't read too much in to the decommitt.

• Upvote 6

I am ambivalent on the hire. The first thing: It is good we finally have a DL-coach. Since I believe that is the position SL probably knows the least about, I figured we needed someone fast, but also someone with experience and prior success and good recruiting there. I guess LeBlanc checks some of the boxes but not all of them.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

UAB is allowed to sign JUCO players this class who don't have their grades in order and give them a year to get it straight without losing eligibility. That's why they have a plethora of former SEC signees who transferred to JUCOs and are now committed to them.

JMO, Maybe he will consider us but I wouldn't read too much in to the decommitt.

Wow man that is a huge advantage for UAB!

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/college/southern-miss/football/2014/12/01/leblanc-out-at-usm/19739101/

I don't understand why we would want a guy who was the only guy on staff fired from a 3-9 USM team that went 9-5 the year after he left(this year).

Kwahn Drake, Eric Roark, and Marc Yellock are all out there looking for jobs. Color me underwhelmed.

USM? This reeks of RV cronyism.  UNT90's response in 3, 2, 1...

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, gangrene said:

USM? This reeks of RV cronyism.  UNT90's response in 3, 2, 1...

Meh... RV doesn't get involved in staff decisions. 

See Todd Dodge...

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Wow man that is a huge advantage for UAB!

Unless they don't get their act together grade wise.

Its a very high risk/high reward move.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Recruiting Oklahoma and Louisiana isn't a bad idea at all in my opinion. Wish we had done it more previously. 

We've always recruited Oklahoma with some success.  If memory serves, we hit Louisiana heavily under the previous regime with really bad results. 

• Upvote 1