MGB: Keenan Johnson makes the call

Brett Vito

He seems to have some speed.  Still not sure exactly what he was going to be, WR, H-back, DB?  He played QB in HS, but wasn't going to play that here.  Certainly would have preferred he came to UNT, but there are other positions I think we have a greater need.  Still sucks to lose him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems like right now we're taking one step forward and two steps back. I hope our fortune on the recruiting trail changes soon. We need to win these battles against programs like Tulsa, and we need to start stealing a few 3 star guys from some of the P5 programs. If we plan to win on the field, we have to start winning on the recruiting trail. We are about a week out from signing day. This staff needs to be pulling in some big fish.

Patience! It is not all going to happen overnight. Let's see what it looks like after the dust settles on signing day, then take the advice of that old ball coach, Stephen Stills:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Again, like Tulane, Tulsa has much more to sell than us.  The C-USA is an albatross...to go on top of the many losing seasons.  It's a problem, and one that Mr. Littrell apparently doesn't have the magic to cure through recruiting.

It'll all come down to coaching.   

Whelp, can't really disagree with much here.  If  it comes down to coaching then I'll be really curious to watch the Spring game.  If we're seeing disarray and dropsies, look out.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Again, like Tulane, Tulsa has much more to sell than us.  The C-USA is an albatross...to go on top of the many losing seasons.  It's a problem, and one that Mr. Littrell apparently doesn't have the magic to cure through recruiting.

It'll all come down to coaching.   

I disagree, the only advantage those programs have is a slightly better conference.  By the way most other CUSA teams have absolutely killed NT in recruiting, that hard to blame on the league.    Both Tulsa and Tulane are  small private schools with limited diversity.  If NT can't compete with these schools, there are very few that NT can compete with.   

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I disagree, the only advantage those programs have is a slightly better conference.  By the way most other CUSA teams have absolutely killed NT in recruiting, that hard to blame on the league.    Both Tulsa and Tulane are  small private schools with limited diversity.  If NT can't compete with these schools, there are very few that NT can compete with.   

Tulsa, where I went to grad school, does not have limited diversity.  To my knowledge, it is the only university in America with a mosque on its campus.  Go to the engineering building, and you'll see dozens of flags of all the countries represented by its students. 

In fact, about a third of TU's total enrollment is comprised of students from foreign countries.   

Way back in 2000-2003, when I was there, Tulsa had organizations for LGBT, even though it is a "Presbyterian" university.  They've had a women's literature journal since the early 80s.

The law school is home to the Native America Law Center, and you can specialize in Native America law there.  Some of my classmates did, and have gone back to their tribes in Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona to become judges and politicians.

It also has, to my knowledge, the only Masters program for Indian Law: http://masterinlaw.utulsa.edu/indian-law-mjil/

As far as football, Tulsa had black football players in the early 60s, long before most SWC and SEC schools.  In fact, all of the Oklahoma schools were out in front of the Texas schools on that one. I think the state's whole experience as "Indian Territory" made it integration easier for those school.  Not easy, but easier. 

Tulsa, though small and affluent, is voluntarily diverse, and has been for the better part of the past half century.

The amazing thing to me about Tulsa is that with only about 3,100 undergrads, it competes at the FBS level for athletics.  It has never, in spite of its size, had to drop down, as we did at one point. 

1 hour ago, Stan R said:

Whelp, can't really disagree with much here.  If  it comes down to coaching then I'll be really curious to watch the Spring game.  If we're seeing disarray and dropsies, look out.  

I wouldn't panic is we see disarray and dropsies in spring because the offense will be new.  I expect more disarray than less in the spring.  I'd only be worried if the disarray carries deep into fall practices. 

In my mind, here is where the players themselves decide whether they want to be men or boys in FBS football:  summer.  If this summer the majority of the team stays in Denton and works together - as permitted by NCAA rules - we should have few bumps in the road for fall practices.

However, if everyone goes there own way in May, with few players - especially, the skill players - remain over the summer, we could have problems. 

This is the "what do you do when no one is watching" scenario.  Do you want to win?  Put in the work without the coaches.  Study the new offenses and defenses, without the coaches, all summer long.  Be in the weightroom and running the bleachers without the coaches all summer long.

Will Littrell & Company be able to impress that upon this group?  Let's hope so.

15 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Tulsa, where I went to grad school, does not have limited diversity.  To my knowledge, it is the only university in America with a mosque on its campus.  Go to the engineering building, and you'll see dozens of flags of all the countries represented by its students. 

In fact, about a third of TU's total enrollment is comprised of students from foreign countries.   

Way back in 2000-2003, when I was there, Tulsa had organizations for LGBT, even though it is a "Presbyterian" university.  They've had a women's literature journal since the early 80s.

The law school is home to the Native America Law Center, and you can specialize in Native America law there.  Some of my classmates did, and have gone back to their tribes in Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona to become judges and politicians.

It also has, to my knowledge, the only Masters program for Indian Law: http://masterinlaw.utulsa.edu/indian-law-mjil/

As far as football, Tulsa had black football players in the early 60s, long before most SWC and SEC schools.  In fact, all of the Oklahoma schools were out in front of the Texas schools on that one. I think the state's whole experience as "Indian Territory" made it integration easier for those school.  Not easy, but easier. 

Tulsa, though small and affluent, is voluntarily diverse, and has been for the better part of the past half century.

The amazing thing to me about Tulsa is that with only about 3,100 undergrads, it competes at the FBS level for athletics.  It has never, in spite of its size, had to drop down, as we did at one point. 

I wouldn't panic is we see disarray and dropsies in spring because the offense will be new.  I expect more disarray than less in the spring.  I'd only be worried if the disarray carries deep into fall practices. 

In my mind, here is where the players themselves decide whether they want to be men or boys in FBS football:  summer.  If this summer the majority of the team stays in Denton and works together - as permitted by NCAA rules - we should have few bumps in the road for fall practices.

However, if everyone goes there own way in May, with few players - especially, the skill players - remain over the summer, we could have problems. 

This is the "what do you do when no one is watching" scenario.  Do you want to win?  Put in the work without the coaches.  Study the new offenses and defenses, without the coaches, all summer long.  Be in the weightroom and running the bleachers without the coaches all summer long.

Will Littrell & Company be able to impress that upon this group?  Let's hope so.

I will stick with my statement, enrollment of Afro-Americans Tulsa 153 (wonder what this would be if athletes eliminated) North Texas 5098.  Maybe a bigger factor: percentage of females Tulsa 42%, NT 52%.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

And much better football and history over the last 20 years. You know, winning. Tulane might suck right now, but they were in the national conversation not too long ago, and have had 12 NFL players drafted since 2000, including a couple of first rounders. Sad as it may seem, we aren't in the same league with them until we prove otherwise.

Tulsa's only had 6, and mostly late rounders, although Charles Clay is a top TE in the league. However, they're in a better conference, and, since 2000, they're a .500 team. Keep in mind that that's counting their worst stretch, 2000-2002, where they went 7-28. Over the last 10 years, they are 74-55.

Over the last 10 years, North Texas is ..... abysmal. Dan McCarney was our most successful head coach, and he got blown out by 60 points to Portland State. We've had ONE player drafted since 2000, Cody Spencer, in the 6th round. The simple fact is we aren't even in the same league as they are, or most of our conference-mates when it comes to things that top tier football recruits really look at. We SHOULD be. But we aren't.

Diversity, enrollment, location, amenities, uniforms, chicks, cool buildings, stadium, etc. are all things you can sell to a recruit when all football things are equal.

18 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Seems like right now we're taking one step forward and two steps back. I hope our fortune on the recruiting trail changes soon. We need to win these battles against programs like Tulsa, and we need to start stealing a few 3 star guys from some of the P5 programs. If we plan to win on the field, we have to start winning on the recruiting trail. We are about a week out from signing day. This staff needs to be pulling in some big fish.

It's not looking real good. NT needs to comb the JuCo ranks heavily. We're staring at a month old open box of cheerios, no milk in the refrigerator, and have $1 scratchoff lottory ticket. It's dinner time so grab that penny and cross your fingers.... 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

And much better football and history over the last 20 years. You know, winning. Tulane might suck right now, but they were in the national conversation not too long ago, and have had 12 NFL players drafted since 2000, including a couple of first rounders. Sad as it may seem, we aren't in the same league with them until we prove otherwise.

Tulsa's only had 6, and mostly late rounders, although Charles Clay is a top TE in the league. However, they're in a better conference, and, since 2000, they're a .500 team. Keep in mind that that's counting their worst stretch, 2000-2002, where they went 7-28. Over the last 10 years, they are 74-55.

Over the last 10 years, North Texas is ..... abysmal. Dan McCarney was our most successful head coach, and he got blown out by 60 points to Portland State. We've had ONE player drafted since 2000, Cody Spencer, in the 6th round. The simple fact is we aren't even in the same league as they are, or most of our conference-mates when it comes to things that top tier football recruits really look at. We SHOULD be. But we aren't.

Diversity, enrollment, location, amenities, uniforms, chicks, cool buildings, stadium, etc. are all things you can sell to a recruit when all football things are equal.

I guess all teams with bad records need to give up then.  By the way Tulane hasn't been in the national conversation since the undefeated Tommy Bowden team in 1998.  

Recruits chose schools based on all kinds of reasons, but mostly based on the perceived status of the program.  Yes, that perception is what NT has to fight.  Perception is mostly drivien by recent performance and all losing programs have to overcome that.  This perception is only changed by winning and/or a strong pitch from an energetic coaching staff.  

Many new coaching staffs can initially beat that perception by selling the new program under their leadership.  Look around a lot of new coaches show an immediate bump up in recruiting selling the future.  In fact I think the majority do even with a short recruiting window.  Selling the future becomes more difficult, not less after the first year unless there is an immediate turnaround in the program. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

This is what makes me the most upset with the lack luster achievement around here ever since UNT step back up to the FBS level.  First you don't give Dickey the resources to maintain or build upon the first sustain period of mediocre success at UNT since it was called NTSU.  Then you think you are going to hit the lottery and hire a high school head coach with no college experience as the head man.  Then you go all in "financially" on a coach with no Texas ties.   It like the goal is to be mediocre not great.

8 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Monkeypox hit the nail on the head.  I think so many of us discount that.  Based on the history what geographical rivals are we better than or equal to?  It is a very short list and it main consist of programs that did even exist before 2000 or play at the FBS level before 2000.  I think Seth is a really good hire but his name does not transcend the historical reputation of the UNT program.   I wasn't expecting much from this year's recruiting class with any coach who hasn't been in the national spot light as a successful FBS head coach at another school.  That is why I wanted a "Steve Spurier" type or a close protege getting head coaching job with master taking the AD job to guide him.   Seth is going to have to coach his but off and win then he will win some of these recruiting battles.  It about finding diamonds in the rough here right now like it or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

This is what makes me the most upset with the lack luster achievement around here ever since UNT step back up to the FBS level.  First you don't give Dickey the resources to maintain or build upon the first sustain period of mediocre success at UNT since it was called NTSU.  Then you think you are going to hit the lottery and hire a high school head coach with no college experience as the head man.  Then you go all in "financially" on a coach with no Texas ties.   It like the goal is to be mediocre not great.

Monkeypox hit the nail on the head.  I think so many of us discount that.  Based on the history what geographical rivals are we better than or equal to?  It is a very short list and it main consist of programs that did even exist before 2000 or play at the FBS level before 2000.  I think Seth is a really good hire but his name does not transcend the historical reputation of the UNT program.   I wasn't expecting much from this year's recruiting class with any coach who hasn't been in the national spot light as a successful FBS head coach at another school.  That is why I wanted a "Steve Spurier" type or a close protege getting head coaching job with master taking the AD job to guide him.   Seth is going to have to coach his but off and win then he will win some of these recruiting battles.  It about finding diamonds in the rough here right now like it or not.

This too is why I wanted a name that jumped off the page at people rather than a gem hidden in the shadows. A name such as Littrell's doesn't strike a tune with the current recruits. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1