MGB Friday football notes

Brett Vito

We are viewed as the poor kids DFW public schools University. Which is fine with me because I fit both those categories. I expect nothing less from a Southlake kid which is why I'm glad I came here and not SMU or TCU.  When those kids hit the real world they'll realize no one gives a shit where you went if you are competent and work hard. The big Boss in my department of Tech, UT, and TCU grads is a North Texas grad. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK @Brett Vito, I spent alot of time the other day defending you.

Don't pay be back with this.  Just because something is true (your Southlake player's tale) doesn't mean you gotta write it.

I'll just shrug my shoulders and smirk without saying I told you so. 

Dude obviously has some kind of vendetta. A parking pass is not that serious. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I'm from the Permian Basin and I came here because 1) NT and Purdue where considered the top two computer graphics programs at the time, and 2) my wife wanted into the very highly rated Behavioral Analysis masters program.    

ETA:  I think sometimes we under rate the academics at NT.  

This cannot be upvoted enough.  

Everyone wants to cite music & education... and rightly so.  But there are some other stellar academic focus areas at NT.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, forevereagle said:

So he just writes for us, the up to date and closely following fan. Not a chance that he could be writing for others who don't follow the program as closely.

Hate to say it, but we ARE his audience. Not many other humans follow UNT. Yet.

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Check.

But what people are ashamed of is not the degree itself, it's the culture (or lack thereof) associated with it.

Fair assessment. But I think Littrell is changing that. He HAS to or there may not be a next time for us.

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I'm from the Permian Basin and I came here because 1) NT and Purdue where considered the top two computer graphics programs at the time, and 2) my wife wanted into the very highly rated Behavioral Analysis masters program.    

I'm from the Permian Basin and came to UNT because I wanted to get the F*** out of the desert.

• Upvote 2

My 30 yeas of experience it the DFW business world is that locally degrees from Texas,Texas A&M,SMU[in Dallas], and TCU[in Ft. Worth] can open doors. UNT is just not there yet, as undergraduate degrees from the above mentioned Universities are perceived to have more value and certainly have a more established networking system, This is not a knock on North Texas, but just sharing my personal experiences.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Not sure if I've ever read an informative article from Vito.  They are generally bland and boring, or continuing to bash an already down program.  You don't think everyone around here knows we suck at getting recruits?  You write about sports for UNT, not ESPN.   Give us something with substance that your readers what to read.  Breakdown what Littrell & Co. do next.  Any recruits you think they'll turn to? You think they're losing steam? Gaining steam? Be a damn reporter for once.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Goes to show the importance of quality athletics and marketing.  aTm for instance is not discernibly more difficult to get into than UNT.  Yet no one considers the two schools to be peer institutions. Ole Miss, Alabama..... the list goes on and on. Tons of non-selective schools that are considered better mainly due to Athletics and marketing.  We are to blame for that and no one else.

• Upvote 2

And finally, don’t expect UNT to name its final assistant coach until after national signing day.

This troubles me. I worry about HS D-line recruits not knowing who their position coach will be and looking elsewhere.

As for Vito and his dugup SLake comment.

giphy.gif

I've been on the hiring team at my office and where a degree was from had absolutely zero impact on our consideration of the employee. The only time a degree was looked upon as suspect is when it was from an online institution.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I know someone from the computer program department who has done very well. You're right, certain programs draw statewide or nationwide attention. Obviously my Political Science degree isn't the most marketable by itself but if you're going to get one you'd be hard pressed to find better professors than UNT's PoliSci group.

12 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Goes to show the importance of quality athletics and marketing.  aTm for instance is not discernibly more difficult to get into than UNT.  Yet no one considers the two schools to be peer institutions. Ole Miss, Alabama..... the list goes on and on. Tons of non-selective schools that are considered better mainly due to Athletics and marketing.  We are to blame for that and no one else.

That isn't true about A&M anymore. Used to be, but like Texas they have filled the majority of their spots now with top 10% and have had to increase their SAT requirements. Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU, you're right. I was offered scholarships to LSU and UNT but was wait listed by UT and A&M. Texas and California have difficult big public school admissions compared to other states since the top 10% rule was implemented and whatever form California uses. 

• Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

@Brett Vito, it's coming down the pike, not pipe. Geez, did you get your degree from A&M or something?

At A&M, here's what comes down the pipe. At nUTSAck its what comes down the river.

200.gif

57 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Love it.  Also, #1 Emergency Planning program (Masters of Public Administration) in Texas (#8 in the US).  Just throwing that out there...

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Boring? really?  How many times do we need to be told that our CULTURE SUCKS before everyone wakes up and starts listening. That Southlake player is a perfect example of what this crazy old man has been ranting about for years. He would rather go to A$M, walk on, and pay his own way than get a ship and a diploma from North Texas. WHY? 

BECAUSE (SPORTS ASIDE) A$M HAS A CULTURE THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE WANT TO BE PART OF AND ASSOCIATED WITH. 

NORTH TEXAS HAS NO DISCERNIBLE CULTURE......SPORTS OR OTHERWISE.

WE ARE AN UNORGANIZED, UNATTACHED COLLECTION OF WOULD BE FANS WHO ARE OFTEN TIMES ASHAMED TO ADMIT THAT THEY ARE NORTH TEXAS GRADUATES. 

WHAT HISTORY AND TRADITIONS WE MIGHT HAVE ARE FORGOTTEN, TOSSED ASIDE ON A WHIM, OR MISREPRESENTED BY HIRED INTERLOPERS. 

MOST OF THE TIME WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY.

Can't hear you over the shouting.

• Upvote 2