any candidates known for DL coach?

southsideguy

It's certainly come up as a possibility before and we all love and admire the hell out of this guy.  I don't know if that is something he would want to do.  I do know he is the greatest player to ever play his position in the history of the game and I am damn proud he's one of us.  I think it would be fantastic if we could involve him in the program or the University in any way quite frankly.

No disrespect for Joe Green but I think his time for coaching has passed.  Hell, I had the pleasure of watching him play at North Texas during his time in Denton, and that makes him old, like me!  He was the greatest at his position at the college and professional levels.  Could we use him in a "pep talk" capacity?  Absolutely!

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty said:

Nelson Barnes?

http://www.okstate.com/news/2006/8/7/Nelson_Barnes.aspx

Not sure we can pry him away from OSU and Perkins cash.

Wonder if Mean Joe would consider a position in the Athletic Department.  UT takes care of all of their old players, and Mr. Greene is our most public ambassador.

My short list:
Carl Pelini - long on DL coaching experience, currently at Youngstown State, who had a stellar defense coordinated by him and Bob Stoops' older brother, Ron.
Jordan Gigli - DL coach at North Dakota.  Beat FBS Wyoming at Wyoming, holding them to 13 points...Beat Portland State at Portland State, holding a team that scored 60+ on us the very next weekend to 17 points.  North Dakota was one of the top defenses against the rush in FCS.
Mark Ivey - DL coach at Appalachian State.  They were Top 20 in FBS in sacks, tackles for loss, and total defense with Ivey.  Impressive, to me, to have that level defense in the short time that they've made the jump from FCS to FBS. 
Kwahn Drake - former DL coach at Tulane, staff was fired after the season, but Drake helped the Green Wave to a Top 12 FBS finish in tackles for loss.  Was coaching former UNT commit Royce LaFrance, who was on the pre-season Lombardi Award list.

My personal favorite:
Brandon Lacy - DL/Recruiting Coordinator at Southeastern Louisiana.  SE Louisiana was Top 10 on tackles for loss in FCS.  I personally like Lacy because they year I lived in OKC, we were up by Edmond, where he is from.  He was in the process of transferring from UT-Martin to Kansas and we lifted weights at the same gym that summer.  He was a good kid, and I've followed his playing and coaching career since then.  He was impressive then even as a college kid.  Was Big 12 All-Academic selection for two years at Kansas, where he majored in Economics, not some P.E./Coaching degree.  Would love to see this kid here.   http://www.lionsports.net/coaches.aspx?rc=577&path=football  

One of his charges won the Piesman Award for best run by a defensive lineman.  Yes, it's really an award now:  http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/collegefootball/mr-piesman-jenks-alumnus-ashton-henderson-becomes-first-recipient-of/article_dddbd795-30cc-54f2-9758-23291b3f3bea.html?mode=jqm  

Obviously, my list is based on coaches that are either at our competition level or just lower at FCS.  I'm assuming that we won't be able to steal a DL coach from Oklahoma, Alabama, and so forth. 

I realize Pelini comes with a little bit of baggage.  His thing is experience, both as a DL coach, defensive coordinator, and head coach.  Gigli, Ivey, and Drake are good young coaches.  Lacy is a little longer in the tooth than everyone except Pelini.  I like that he also has experience as recruiting coordinator - in a state where we have had some recruiting success, Louisiana.  Plus, having lifted weights with him for a summer and talking to him, I'm biased.  I'm also biased toward football players who get degrees in something other than the normal P.E./Sociology/Communication/African-American Studies route.  And, from Kansas, which isn't too shabby an academic outpost. 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
Butterflies flutter by.
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

My personal favorite:
Brandon Lacy - DL/Recruiting Coordinator at Southeastern Louisiana.  SE Louisiana was Top 10 on tackles for loss in FCS.  I personally like Lacy because they year I lived in OKC, we were up by Edmond, where he is from.  He was in the process of transferring from UT-Martin to Kansas and we lifted weights at the same gym that summer.  He was a good kid, and I've followed his playing and coaching career since then.  He was impressive then even as a college kid.  Was Big 12 All-Academic selection for two years at Kansas, where he majored in Economics, not some P.E./Coaching degree.  Would love to see this kid here.   http://www.lionsports.net/coaches.aspx?rc=577&path=football  

Obviously, my list is based on coaches that are either at our competition level or just lower at FCS.  I'm assuming that we won't be able to steal a DL coach from Oklahoma, Alabama, and so forth. 

I realize Pelini comes with a little bit of baggage.  His thing is experience, both as a DL coach, defensive coordinator, and head coach.  Gigli, Ivey, and Drake are good young coaches.  Lacy is a little longer in the tooth that everyone except Pelini.  I like that he also has experience as recruiting coordinator - in a state where we have had some recruiting success, Louisiana.  Plus, having lifted weights with him for a summer and talking to him, I'm biased.  I'm also biased toward football players who get degrees in something other than the normal P.E./Sociology/Communication/African-American Studies route.  And, from Kansas, which isn't too shabby an academic outpost. 

Had not thought about Lacy. He was my son's DL coach at Angelo State. My son loved him & still keeps in touch with him. Lacy is a great guy & coach, would be a nice hire IMO.

22 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

My short list:
Carl Pelini - long on DL coaching experience, currently at Youngstown State, who had a stellar defense coordinated by him and Bob Stoops' older brother, Ron.
Jordan Gigli - DL coach at North Dakota.  Beat FBS Wyoming at Wyoming, holding them to 13 points...Beat Portland State at Portland State, holding a team that scored 60+ on us the very next weekend to 17 points.  North Dakota was one of the top defenses against the rush in FCS.
Mark Ivey - DL coach at Appalachian State.  They were Top 20 in FBS in sacks, tackles for loss, and total defense with Ivey.  Impressive, to me, to have that level defense in the short time that they've made the jump from FCS to FBS. 
Kwahn Drake - former DL coach at Tulane, staff was fired after the season, but Drake helped the Green Wave to a Top 12 FBS finish in tackles for loss.  Was coaching former UNT commit Royce LaFrance, who was on the pre-season Lombardi Award list.

My personal favorite:

One of his charges won the Piesman Award for best run by a defensive lineman.  Yes, it's really an award now:  http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/collegefootball/mr-piesman-jenks-alumnus-ashton-henderson-becomes-first-recipient-of/article_dddbd795-30cc-54f2-9758-23291b3f3bea.html?mode=jqm  

I realize Pelini comes with a little bit of baggage.  His thing is experience, both as a DL coach, defensive coordinator, and head coach.  Gigli, Ivey, and Drake are good young coaches.  Lacy is a little longer in the tooth that everyone except Pelini.  I like that he also has experience as recruiting coordinator - in a state where we have had some recruiting success, Louisiana.  Plus, having lifted weights with him for a summer and talking to him, I'm biased.  I'm also biased toward football players who get degrees in something other than the normal P.E./Sociology/Communication/African-American Studies route.  And, from Kansas, which isn't too shabby an academic outpost. 

Ah yes, Carl Pelini. Better hide all the hookers and blow in the area... Cause he will find them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Marty said:

Had not thought about Lacy. He was my son's DL coach at Angelo State. My son loved him & still keeps in touch with him. Lacy is a great guy & coach, would be a nice hire IMO.

Being an Oklahoma guy - who played against Littrell in early 00's OU-KU tilts - surely Littrell has him on his radar.  Glad to hear your son had a good experience with him.  Not surprised.   

Also, former UNT DC Clint Bowen was an assistant coach at KU while Lacy was there.  Means nothing now, I know.  Just interesting.  Another name in the profession that would likely give a good word about him. 

Lacy was quiet.  There were a lot of mouthy, loud kids in the weight room, of course.  Brandon would come in and just start lifting.  He'd ask me to spot him on his bench presses.  We talked football.  Again, back then at 19/20 years old, you got the sense he was more squared away than other kids.  Edmond, OK, though, is a pretty squared away suburb of  OKC.  To me, it was like 80s Plano or Richardson.   

On another note, the year we lived over there, we were up there street from OKC Heritage Hall.  That was Wes Welker's senior year.  He was a local hero in the OKC media, and Bob Stoops was in his first year at OU.  People kind of assumed Stoops would offer the kid a scholie, but he never did. 

At the time, Stoops had another small school kid in his roster, Reggie Skinner who had set the national record for TDs in 8-man football as a prep.  He was a holdover from the previous staff.  Folks around there figured Stoops had worked with him, so he could work with another small school kid in Welker. 

Probably best for Welker that he was passed over; likely wouldn't have played as a freshman at OU in 2000 like he was able to at Tech.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller

Just now, Cr1028 said:

I like Hagen but don't know if he'd leave for us.

Agreed. He's making $285,000 at A&M. We can't compete with the $$$. Just a name to throw out if Sumlin gets canned or Chavis wants to go a new direction.

Dierson on the other hand is making $95K at NIU. We could throw him $105 and call it a day.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Agreed. He's making $285,000 at A&M. We can't compete with the $$$. Just a name to throw out if Sumlin gets canned or Chavis wants to go a new direction.

Dierson on the other hand is making $95K at NIU. We could throw him $105 and call it a day.

They could also remind him that Texas doesn't have state income tax.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think out of everyone mentioned here, I like Kwahn Drake the best.  Need more young/hungry coaches.

Plus as a GA at Tulane, was coaching against CUSA offenses. Always been around LA area and must know the recruiting there. Maybe even recruiting into East Texas or Houston? (No idea on that, but would at least be familiar with it from the location of Tulane.)

• Upvote 2

On 1/12/2016 at 8:48 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

Man I wish we sign coach Roark from UTSA. Supposedly he is like there KP. Great recruiter fan favorite type.

Not to mention. He just started seth littrell  

Looks like Roark is now available...

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2016/01/roark-says-hes-been-released-from-utsa-football-staff/

UTSA announced Sunday that five of six remaining assistant coaches on the football staff have been released.

Roark, hired in April 2009, coached the defensive line.  He said in a statement Saturday night that he is moving on.

“I leave with nothing but great memories of my tenure at UTSA,” Roark said in a text Saturday night. “The important thing is God’s will and not the circumstances that I presently am in.  Life is not for us to figure out.  Life is for us to trust and believe in Him always.”

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1