'16 S Patrick Peek (Aledo)

MEEN2018

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

McClain will be back, but you are correct in that we are thin back there.

Right, but Gray will be a Senior.  I can see how my sentence construction would cause confusion...  I'm not Bill Shakespeare!    
Hopefully Ced Fernandes comes back healthy and ready to play again too.  I liked him.

• Upvote 1

Thats a pretty good list of offers, not necessarily ULM but Mizzou and Fresno. Go get this kid and keep him home.

2016 All State in 5A Texas Football is getting it done!

After watching his film, this kids a ball player. Constantly has his head on a swivel, hes a ball hawk, comes downhill hard and punishes people on the tackle. I bet that kid didnt miss many tackles this year just based on watching his technique during his tackles.

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Thats a pretty good list of offers, not necessarily ULM but Mizzou and Fresno. Go get this kid and keep him home.

2016 All State in 5A Texas Football is getting it done!

After watching his film, this kids a ball player. Constantly has his head on a swivel, hes a ball hawk, comes downhill hard and punishes people on the tackle. I bet that kid didnt miss many tackles this year just based on watching his technique during his tackles.

It's Missouri State.

2 hours ago, MEEN2018 said:

Fresno (where?) has some nice Tex commits TE out of Mesquite! Go after them!!!

On 1/8/2016 at 9:22 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right, but Gray will be a Senior.  I can see how my sentence construction would cause confusion...  I'm not Bill Shakespeare!    
Hopefully Ced Fernandes comes back healthy and ready to play again too.  I liked him.

And it looks like UNT may run nickel a lot.  Either a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5.  Will need more safties.  Buyers can most likely fill that role this year.  In the future, they may look at a safety/LB hybrid type like some teams do.

43 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

And it looks like UNT may run nickel a lot.  Either a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5.  Will need more safties.  Buyers can most likely fill that role this year.  In the future, they may look at a safety/LB hybrid type like some teams do.

I much prefer 4-2-5 to the stack... Keeps bigs on bigs and let's your LBs run free

Edited by GMG24

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

I much prefer 4-2-5 to the stack... Keeps bigs on bigs and let's your LBs run free

Based on the makeup of our team, it seems like a 4-2-5 makes sense.  That was probably our most successful defense last year when we had a few good moments.  Whitfield was the nickel.  Seems like we will have DEs for a 4 man front.  Not a 3 man.

I would think to run a 3-3-5, you would need a big dominating front 3, and we don't come close to having that. I think we have a few tweeners that can go from DE to LB that could be moved around though.  That won't be enough cause the DL is undersized.  Not sure how that would work.

Even with a 4-2-5, our front 4 will have to play a lot better with just 2 LBs.  The 3 safeties should get to the ball faster though.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Based on the makeup of our team, it seems like a 4-2-5 makes sense.  That was probably our most successful defense last year when we had a few good moments.  Whitfield was the nickel.  Seems like we will have DEs for a 4 man front.  Not a 3 man.

I would think to run a 3-3-5, you would need a big dominating front 3, and we don't come close to having that. I think we have a few tweeners that can go from DE to LB that could be moved around though.  That won't be enough cause the DL is undersized.  Not sure how that would work.

Even with a 4-2-5, our front 4 will have to play a lot better with just 2 LBs.  The 3 safeties should get to the ball faster though.  

That's basically the premise behind 4-2-5. Allows multiple coverage and stunt looks while being solid vs the run game (gap wise). You always have 6 in the box, and 2 high safeties able to trigger freely on runs. 

5 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

That's basically the premise behind 4-2-5. Allows multiple coverage and stunt looks while being solid vs the run game (gap wise). You always have 6 in the box, and 2 high safeties able to trigger freely on runs. 

And with two high safeties that should mean tighter coverage for our corners.

Just unbelievable the way they lined up.  Even the technique was bad.  And this was the way they were taught to play.  A zone defense can work if you can get pressure.  You sit in your zone and wait for a mistake.  You give a QB time, any zone can be picked apart.

Even the technique of covering man to man was bad.  Playing the wr and facing him. When he looks up or reaches for the ball, then you make a play.  I know this technique is used by DBs, but as a last resort. If you are beat or don't know where the ball is, then you read the wrs eyes.  This technique will not result in many ints.  In an ideal situation, you want a DB finding the ball early to make a play on it.  

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Yes.

Bob Davie out recruiting Littrell. lol

I mean, New Mexico had a pretty decent year finishing 7-6 and played Arizona very well in the bowl game (lost 45-37). For anybody who didn't watch that game, they have a very explosive running game running some kind of option football with three athletes in a straight line behind the QB. Rushed for 42 TDs and almost 3300 yards last year. Honestly can't fault him for going there. They seem to be doing some good things and their QB was only a sophomore (ran in 3 TDs against Arizona and threw for another). Key win last year against Boise State too.

Edited by GMG_Dallas