Reason Littrell Scares Me

Matt Turney

Really?  To diminish Littrell's hire because he's "not a coordinator"?  Regardless of the O.P.'s contributions on the field, it's a very uninformed and misleading post.  There's nothing valid about it whatsoever.

This.  We obviously all respect and value his on the field contributions.  But it is uniformed, inaccurate, and anyone else and we'd all be torching him for not reading any of the other posts on the board that have already discussed all these same points...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This.  We obviously all respect and value his on the field contributions.  But it is uniformed, inaccurate, and anyone else and we'd all be torching him for not reading any of the other posts on the board that have already discussed all these same points...

He's being torched anyway.

Not everyone who posts is on here every day like the 20-30 of us who are.   I'm sure Mr. Turney is fully-educated now on the difference between UNC's OC's and Littrell's odd title.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's a bit of a stretch but I am afraid this is a comfortable hire for Rick V. Fedora was at S Miss and thus has ties to Rick. I mean really how did Luttrell even get on the radar????  

I keep hearing this is the presidents hire but any ties to current ad scare me. 

Luttrell is not a coordinator. He's not associate head coach. He's the "assistant head coach for offense" everyone on the UNC has a blown up title. 

Rest easy, RV was not a Fedora guy, he was a Jeff Bower guy. RV was long gone before Fedora stepped foot in Hattiesburg.

Regardless of title, Littrell calls the plays at UNC.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

Really?  To diminish Littrell's hire because he's "not a coordinator"?  Regardless of the O.P.'s contributions on the field, it's a very uninformed and misleading post.  There's nothing valid about it whatsoever.

It's valid because it comes from the perspective of someone who has been through the recruiting process as an athlete. Perception from the point of view of the athletes that we hope to recruit is very important. How is it misleading? I trust Matt's opinion regarding a recruits thought process.

• Upvote 2

I have read the majority of the BS on here. Most of which is crap. I have more invested in this football program than 90% of the couch potatoes on here. Sit behind your screen name, in your cubicle, read and post all you want. My opinion is just my opinion  

However my perspective is much more informed than most. Having played at UNT, been recruited at UNT, having been through some of the tough times and the glory days.

There are  people on this board I consider friends because of their unwavering support of UNT. I have coached high school for 12+ years and seen it from that side as well. 

So you just sit there and look at things through your little peephole at the program and criticize away. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

I think the biggest concerns are not in his title.

I think the biggest concerns are that a young coordinator/play caller/ assistant head coach is about to have control over a full program for the first time.

Can he fill a quality staff? I'm pretty sure his offensive staff is going to be a group of fantastic offensive minds, but where does he lean on defense? 

Of course we would all like to know whether he is an RV or President guy so we can sleep better at night. However, I'm more worried about him being the right guy rather than who found him. I will say he does not feel like a comfort hire. It feels like a guy we had to do our home work on. Especially when you think about the other names involved with him. A comfort hire to me would've been Meacham. 

We are about to land the guy who is calling and designing plays for the most explosive offense in the country. FACT

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 4

It's valid because it comes from the perspective of someone who has been through the recruiting process as an athlete. Perception from the point of view of the athletes that we hope to recruit is very important. How is it misleading? I trust Matt's opinion regarding a recruits thought process.

Not everything is simply a matter of perspective.  The O.P.'s claims that Littrell is "not a coordinator" and only "has a blown up title" insinuate that Littrell's responsibilities are nothing more than those of a position coach.  However, as pretty much everyone else on this board is already aware, Littrell's responsibilities are fully those of what is typically called an offensive coordinator.  That's not perspective, that's simple fact.  To say otherwise is misleading at best.

That is no personal attack on the individual who posted it--I know he was a fine football player, and I'm sure he is a fine human being--but the post itself ought to be deleted or edited so as not to spread the false notions it currently purports as true.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not everything is simply a matter of perspective.  The O.P.'s claims that Littrell is "not a coordinator" and only "has a blown up title" insinuate that Littrell's responsibilities are nothing more than those of a position coach.  However, as pretty much everyone else on this board is already aware, Littrell's responsibilities are fully those of what is typically called an offensive coordinator.  That's not perspective, that's simple fact.  To say otherwise is misleading at best.

That is no personal attack on the individual who posted it--I know he was a fine football player, and I'm sure he is a fine human being--but the post itself ought to be deleted or edited so as not to spread the false notions it currently purports as true.

I hear what your saying and we'll leave it at that. GMG

There is no KNOWN UNT football panacea just waiting for their phone to ring.  Every hire requires a certain amount of faith and the money required to buy them out.  Littrell looks great on paper to most people and a risk worth taking.  So did Benford. Coaching hires is at best an imperfect science.  Thus the most important thing an AD needs to do is raise funds.  When the Benford and Dodge hires happen you need to be able to buy them out and keep pushing until you find the right guy.  I really like the look of this Littrell hire.  I thought the same about Benford and we know how that is going.

• Upvote 1

There is no KNOWN UNT football panacea just waiting for their phone to ring.  Every hire requires a certain amount of faith and the money required to buy them out.  Littrell looks great on paper to most people and a risk worth taking.  So did Benford. Coaching hires is at best an imperfect science.  Thus the most important thing an AD needs to do is raise funds.  When the Benford and Dodge hires happen you need to be able to buy them out and keep pushing until you find the right guy.  I really like the look of this Littrell hire.  I thought the same about Benford and we know how that is going.

Benford inherited bmw of a team featuring a bevy of goof players including one year of tony Mitchell and instead of at least making a shallow c-usa tourney run he crashed his bmw into a tree . His team has like macs football team gotten worse progressively yearly unable to shoot 3's and when challenged not able to shoot at all and as jones played no defense. This year the blew out 2 naia teams and lose their first four or five division 1 teams. Littrell will arrive with with almost bed rock low expectations and is a known good recruiter  unlike benford. As a footnote the woman's hoops had beaten OU and SMU what ever else happens a team that won 5 games last year has 2 key wins.

Thanks for bringing back those memories Rick. Now maybe you could give me a paper cut and pour some lemon juice on it? Oh those were great days for Bowl trips. We had such a great times, and now we are starting over.. AGAIN.

I feel sick.

GMG

cheer up better things than dickys four years of winning the kiddy conference to those who wait patiently. The MEANGREEN will rise!

"Sing glory to the green. Sing glory to the white, for our university striving for the right. And through the cooridor of years we won't forget our joys and tears, at NorthTexas, NorthTexas, WE LOVE!!!"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

cheer up better things than dickys four years of winning the kiddy conference to those who wait patiently. The MEANGREEN will rise!

"Sing glory to the green. Sing glory to the white, for our university striving for the right. And through the cooridor of years we won't forget our joys and tears, at NorthTexas, NorthTexas, WE LOVE!!!"

Haha..thanks, that helps a little. The new Union is greatness, and that also helps a little. Glimmers of sunshine on an otherwise dismal season. Signing Coach Litrell will turn the tables for all of us! I cannot wait!

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Haha..thanks, that helps a little. The new Union is greatness, and that also helps a little. Glimmers of sunshine on an otherwise dismal season. Signing Coach Litrell will turn the tables for all of us! I cannot wait!

GMG

our first real man of a coach since Hayden Fry. Think about the Todd Dodge offense forget the Todd Dodge defense, we scored td's if we had a speck of defense.... The spread is coming back and I feel he well replace kosh with a defensive coordinator who actually coaches defense.

I'm sure RV happily provided him with Canales' cell number. 

don't say that name on this blog he threw the UTEP game away on his way out the door good send off for the seniors great message for the team , recruits supposing we had some. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Seth can find better without much effort though I feel he will do his  do diligence .

• Upvote 1