DRC Monday column: UNT can't afford to miss on coach

Brett Vito

What makes this hire any different than any of the previous ones we missed on? We can afford to miss on it because we have already proven we can get by just fine in the eyes of the BOR an administration, as long as we stay within their guidelines of staying profitable and out of trouble. If any of this was about actually winning, then I'd disagree with Vito's premise--but its clearly not. We just saw an average attendance for a FBS team in freaking Texas, of all places, not reach 14k. We saw our team win all of 1 game, only because the other team had to run out their JV-equivalent QBs and lost by a TD in the 4th quarter.

When people value access and cost over winning, this is what you get--and its what you accept as affordable. It goes back to the reality of the situation here. You either accept it or go away--it doesn't matter which way you go, either. Because its the MO of a place that doesn't put an emphasis on winning at sports as the primary window to the school.

When you let the AD be involved in any capacity at hiring the next coach for football, after boosters came in and bought out a $2 million dollar mistake, it just adds to the reality that we can easily afford to not get this right again--because what we won't accept as affordable is to be out of budget in any way, shape, or form. The university won't buyout RV because he has years to go on his contract and the RV 17 simply wont let him get away.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Maybe RV should look in the mirror if he can't figure out what's missing or wrong with the athletic department.

To be fair, he does.  Every morning after putting on his sweater vest, he looks in the mirror and says, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I just want a team that wins. That may not be enough for many but for me I would be in the seats at apogee. If we were winning I wouldn't mind traveling back for home games and cheering on the home team.

• Upvote 1

Something that bugged me past weekend was the fact that our conference flags weren't even flying above the Wing Zone.  As a standards guy that is unacceptable.  I deserve a gameday experience and more importantly this is about STANDARDS.  Flags were already packed up for the season.  You can never take a play off when performing at the top level.  What lazy butt in the athletic department decided, "We don't need these flags today."  I was ticked that Canales decided "Everyone needs to play," instead of "We need to beat another in state rival today."  I train top experiences around the world and a common theme is that you never take a play off.  You don't take the shortcut because everyone is worthy of your best.  UNT acted like people didn't pay to be there this past weekend.  You show that gameday experience to the visiting fans.  Now all of this minus the play is on RV and dang do I want a guy or gal in there with energy, high standards and a relentless attitude to put on a beautiful gameday face whether we are 1-10 or 10-1.

GMG

So instead of NT putting on the "contracted event" that I've noticed since 1990 (and before) are you saying that if NT is going to have a D-1 football game, then they should put their best foot forward and have a REAL football game day experience? With traditions, spirit icons, and everything? Hmmm.

You mean possibly something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-iG_MR01aE

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Again, RV is not meeting the most modest of expectations. Let's be 100% honest. At any point, has he gone out of his way to even remotely put together an atmosphere which is conducive to bringing fans in with excitement? Oh, I forgot, it's not his department. He isn't responsible for that. The stadium itself will bring people out.

I went with some friends to a VA Tech game on Thursday night in Lane Stadium a few years ago. That was an experience. At some point RV has to understand that it can't just be a game, it has to be an event. I got chills when 64,000+ were chanting "let's go" "Hokies" alternating sides of the stadium, not to mention Enter Sandman and the fireworks. Intensity personified, and you could see just how intimidated the visiting team was dealing with the crowd. It won't be a home field advantage until he realizes he has to create that kind of atmosphere.

We have the acoustics in our stadium to do it. If we can create something like that on a smaller scale, it would be something special.

So instead of NT putting on the "contracted event" that I've noticed since 1990 (and before) are you saying that if NT is going to have a D-1 football game, then they should put their best foot forward and have a REAL football game day experience? With traditions, spirit icons, and everything? Hmmm.

You mean possibly something like this?

• Upvote 2

This quote by RV sums it up:

“We have tried to provide everything that is necessary,” Villarreal said. “When I look around I don’t see things that are missing. We have what is necessary to recruit the best players and compete in this league and in the state of Texas.” - See more at: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20151129-brett-vito-unt-brass-cannot-afford-to-make-a-mistake-on-upcoming-coaching-hire.ece#sthash.RFsYqzXB.dpuf

this is unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anything says tradition at North Texas like finishing up another losing season with a post-Thanksgiving weekend final home game (the last of five scheduled) with 2000-3000 of your best friends. It has been on my calendar for many years. 

Fan of North Texas will know he is not on the bottom of the CFB scrotum, er totem, pole when we put an AD in place that can negotiate a schedule of six or more home games, most on Saturdays, spread relatively equally in September, October and November at fan-friendly start times that allow for a little pre-game tailgating and don't require a Halloween costume to fit in with the band "uniforms."

GMG

• Upvote 7

Something that bugged me past weekend was the fact that our conference flags weren't even flying above the Wing Zone.  As a standards guy that is unacceptable.  I deserve a gameday experience and more importantly this is about STANDARDS.  Flags were already packed up for the season.  You can never take a play off when performing at the top level.  What lazy butt in the athletic department decided, "We don't need these flags today."  I was ticked that Canales decided "Everyone needs to play," instead of "We need to beat another in state rival today."  I train top experiences around the world and a common theme is that you never take a play off.  You don't take the shortcut because everyone is worthy of your best.  UNT acted like people didn't pay to be there this past weekend.  You show that gameday experience to the visiting fans.  Now all of this minus the play is on RV and dang do I want a guy or gal in there with energy, high standards and a relentless attitude to put on a beautiful gameday face whether we are 1-10 or 10-1.

GMG

Wow I think this post sums up so much of my angst towards this athletic department and really, sums up my feelings toward some other departments at UNT as well.  This may have been good enough back in the days of Fouts field or in the D1AA (reality - it is never ok) but it is sure as hell NOT ok now.  I am so fed up with the gameday atmosphere laziness. As a season ticket holder (8 season tickets actually) It probably bothers me more than even the losses - ok it is a close second. 

I have heard people say things like "well this is how the state of Texas wants to keep UNT" or "The BOR has a mandate to provide cheap education to people in our region" blah blah blah.  

There is a difference, a HUGE difference between "cheap" and "value".  To me, you don't compromise your principles just because something costs less.  The more I've lived in the corporate world around all levels of management, the more I realize that leadership at the top is PARAMOUNT.  If you don't show your A game all of the time, why should any of your employees?  Students? Faculty? 

UNT90 gets it.  NM Green gets it.  Others like them demanding excellence GET IT.  I do believe that our new President does get it but I am concerned.  I'm withholding judgement for a few more months but if RV is still around after that, I have real issues with the entire leadership of our university, including at the state government levels

Show some principles UNT.  You are beginning to get there but the Athl. Dept. needs a complete overhaul.  But this works from the bottom up as well.  The alumni of UNT can make a loud noise and demand that these changes do take place.  

We are doing it, and thank goodness for UNT90's and his crew for their relentless efforts to get real change to take place.  I may not like your methods always, but you have the right idea man.  Relentless pressure in the media of all types WILL make change.  It is painful for us but that is because all real change is painful by nature.  

• Upvote 7

How many times over the last 20 years has someone wrote basically the same article about this program.  First is was moving up to FBS.  Then it was moving conferences.  Next it was scheduling more regional teams. Then it was moving to a better conference.  Then it was winning a Bowl Game.  Then it was the coaches, or the type of offense we run.   Through all this is has the athletic department been cleaned from top to bottom during that time?   Because the culture that is okay with mediocrity seems be a constant regardless of who the leader is.

• Upvote 1