What happened to DSmith?

Got5onIt

Why is Demarcus not playing?

According the the radio announcers, Smith was recognizing the kinds of blitzes UTEP was expected to and in fact did use. In the post game, Canales said he planed to use all three. He also said he wanted to not use Smith in parts of the game with "lots of moving parts" as that was where he had trouble. This starting McNulty fit into the game plan against a team that's blitzes from a lot of different looks. 

The final stats show that none of the three QBs were particularly good. I don't see Smith as the starter next year unless the new coach can't find anyone any better. 

• Upvote 2

Cannon arm but not a qb.  Bad ball security, no touch on short routes, just not our qb next year.  I guess means will never play either.  Hope the new coach can bring some freshman in and start him right away while there is a honeymoon period.  This is a joke.

I bet the right coach can get him fixed. 

• Upvote 1

I think there is a good shot at this.

King, I'd be willing to bring a handle to your tailgate next season if by week 4, our new coach hadn't tailored an offense to suit him to the T, simple reads, easy calls, multiple formations same concepts. Simplify the game if he can't understand it. It ain't that hard. 

King, I'd be willing to bring a handle to your tailgate next season if by week 4, our new coach hadn't tailored an offense to suit him to the T, simple reads, easy calls, multiple formations same concepts. Simplify the game if he can't understand it. It ain't that hard. 

I think that is exactly what a good coaching staff does, and I will drink from that handle. 

Question is, would the new coach spend the time tailoring the offense and developing a senior QB he inherited, when he could be doing the same thing for a young QB who will be here when he's had a chance to bring in his own players and build the roster back up?

• Upvote 3

Question is, would the new coach spend the time tailoring the offense and developing a senior QB he inherited, when he could be doing the same thing for a young QB who will be here when he's had a chance to bring in his own players and build the roster back up?

hey, if he can bring in a freshman version of him I'm in. It's only 30-40 bucks anyway for a handle. I think they'd be ready to give a previous Elite 11 guy a shot though. How many elite 11 were flops? Question, no answer.

I bet the right coach can get him fixed. 

This, Spring Ball and Fall Camp should cure him or kill him. At least we'll know he had the proper opportunity to show he can or can't play. I want him to succeed because he has the raw material to do it and because this will buy the new coach some time to find and develop the backup.

Edited by EagleMBA

hey, if he can bring in a freshman version of him I'm in. It's only 30-40 bucks anyway for a handle. I think they'd be ready to give a previous Elite 11 guy a shot though. How many elite 11 were flops? Question, no answer.

Or play Smith while sitting a good freshman. Year two that guy is either still a freshman if his redshirt stayed on or a sophomore more ready to step into the starting role.

• Upvote 3