MGB: Canales' heartfelt statement at presser

Brett Vito

I agree with UNT86.  He did the best that he could in two tough situations.   He seems like the kind of man that you would like to have as a friend.   I also wish him the best for the future.   He will land on his feet.  He has lots of friends coaching at the college level and will be helped to land his next job.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I agree with UNT86.  He did the best that he could in two tough situations.   He seems like the kind of man that you would like to have as a friend.   I also wish him the best for the future.   He will land on his feet.  He has lots of friends coaching at the college level and will be helped to land his next job.

That is an epidemic problem in coaching. 

The best possible candidate should get X position that is available. In the end, rubbing elbows gets no one nowhere. The schools that endure this are the ones that I feel sorry for.

Look no further than Chris Cosh/Dan Mccarney for an example. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Despite what some think, it would have been worse without Canales to take over.  This is a down beaten bad team with not a lot to play for, IMO anyone expecting more out of an interim coach is being unreasonable. 

NT owes Canales a lot of thanks for his stepping in not once but twice.   I hope he lands somewhere he can succeed and enhance his career. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I wouldn't call 41-7 against a MTSU team that took the foot off the accelerator at halftime "performing better," but whatevs. 

Our incapacity to convert and bring in some 1st downs is what killed us.  Based on the rest of the stats (i.e. other than 1st downs and actual points), one would expect that that game would have been more like 41-27.  There are good and bad parts to take away from it...but staying optimistic about a few good things in an otherwise disastrous season isn't the worst thing that could happen.

• Upvote 1

That is an epidemic problem in coaching. 

The best possible candidate should get X position that is available. In the end, rubbing elbows gets no one nowhere. The schools that endure this are the ones that I feel sorry for.

Look no further than Chris Cosh/Dan Mccarney for an example. 

such is life

Chico was a huge part of the problem.

Wow - Damn near a hero reading this thread.

IMO the comments in this thread relate to Chico the man, his integrity and character. If it was a performance evaluation, one could expect some critical remarks.

• Upvote 6

I have always liked Canales and was happy he was able to have the team fight harder at the end of the year.  I was seriously expecting a 60 or 70 point loss in Knoxville and instead he led that team to compete into the fourth quarter.  It was an incredibly memorable trip into new SEC country for me.  He also beat the dreaded dirty birds of south Texas, so he will always hold a gold star in my book.

Go get'em in the your next chapter Coach.

GMG   

IMO the comments in this thread relate to Chico the man, his integrity and character. If it was a performance evaluation, one could expect some critical remarks.

Because any of us know anything about that?

We aren't personal friends with Chico. We don't know him. We only know the very little he allows us to see. 

What I do know is that his evaluation and development of QBs put this team in a huge hole the last 2 years. Not one FBS QB on the roster after the man responsible has been here for 6 years. 

Yet some would still give him the head coaching job today...

tortured soul 

Well, we are UNT fans.

We aren't personal friends with Chico. We don't know him. We only know the very little he allows us to see. 

What I do know is that his evaluation and development of QBs put this team in a huge hole the last 2 years. Not one FBS QB on the roster after the man responsible has been here for 6 years. 

Well, we are UNT fans.

What you see is what he is. There isn't an ounce of phony in that man, he is the most genuine person you will ever meet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, we are UNT fans.

During Mac's first year, I was helping out the offense during spring practice.  I was working with Chico quite a bit.  So, yes, I do know him.  I know/friends with about 75% of the players that played for Chico.