November 2010 to present; what has really changed?

UNT90

This is my 54th year of watching EAGLE football, and by far the most embarrassing and disappointing . The loss to Portland State was a new all time low for the program. However, outside of hard core North Texas fans no one, not even in the metroplex, really cares.We have a core fan base of about 12,000 or so who in the past have supported our football program year in and year out. I have been one of them, but at nearly 73 am running out of hope. We have a mixed bag. Five bowl appearances in 15 years coupled with 11 losing seasons and 3 fired coaches equals a mess.The next hire may be my last, and for personal reasons as well as for the university I hope we get it right, regardless of who makes the hiring decision. We need to find a coach who is willing to take a chance on us as much as we are him. I personally don't want a retread. I would rather go down swinging with a hot shot offensive minded assistant coach with strong Texas high school ties that a head coach from out of state. But that's just an old man's opinion. Regardless,GO EAGLES! 

• Upvote 2

Maybe we just need to accept the fact we were best off in the Sun Belt.  

Our yearly CUSA TV payout was ~$80,000, our yearly CUSA TV payout is ~$1,100,000.  That by itself is a good enough reason to prefer CUSA.

We ALREADY HAVE THE RESOURCES to win consistently in CUSA, we just haven't hired the right people to do it.  Get the hires right and this program will dominate.  

ETA: As to what is difference between 2010 and now?  My hair is a little thinner and my gut is a little thicker.  

Edited by Cerebus

Our yearly CUSA TV payout was ~$80,000, our yearly CUSA TV payout is ~$1,100,000.  That by itself is a good enough reason to prefer CUSA.

We ALREADY HAVE THE RESOURCES to win consistently in CUSA, we just haven't hired the right people to do it.  Get the hires right and this program will dominate.  

The person who has done the hiring in the last 15 years is still going to be hiring the next coach in football and mens hoops in the next 6 months. And then he will probably get to hire the next set of coaches after that, because he is completely shielded from expectations by the BOR's apathy and the UNT 17's friendship.

There's no way we get these next hires right with the current AD picking them. He's proven that over 15 years of hires in the three revenue sports , he cannot do it. You can think that "this time he is gonna get it right" like some Cubs fan would think about them winning a pennant someday, but 15 years is quite the feat to be here with the losing he has overseen. Expecting anything different--after so many disastrous hires under his watch--just seems very ostrich-like when factoring in the reality of the situation.

I know that you feel the same way, Cerebus, based on your research and posts, concerning the poor job RV does. I just don't see how its ever going to get better with RV having that kind of job security around here. That's why my UNT fandom ends until he is gone, so basically I figure that I won't see another UNT game for at least 10 years, if not longer.

This is my 54th year of watching EAGLE football, and by far the most embarrassing and disappointing . The loss to Portland State was a new all time low for the program. However, outside of hard core North Texas fans no one, not even in the metroplex, really cares.We have a core fan base of about 12,000 or so who in the past have supported our football program year in and year out. I have been one of them, but at nearly 73 am running out of hope. We have a mixed bag. Five bowl appearances in 15 years coupled with 11 losing seasons and 3 fired coaches equals a mess.The next hire may be my last, and for personal reasons as well as for the university I hope we get it right, regardless of who makes the hiring decision. We need to find a coach who is willing to take a chance on us as much as we are him. I personally don't want a retread. I would rather go down swinging with a hot shot offensive minded assistant coach with strong Texas high school ties that a head coach from out of state. But that's just an old man's opinion. Regardless,GO EAGLES! 

Amen! I closely identify with your thoughts, even though I'm much younger (well, about 2 years).

ETA: As to what is difference between 2010 and now?  My hair is a little thinner and my gut is a little thicker.  

And...? Go on...what else?

i know it is easy to hammer RV for the hires but hiring the right person is not that easy.  Look at all of 1st round draft picks that bomb.  The NFL teams have more resources than we do and they still get it wrong.  I wish i could promise the next hire will be good but you never know until things play out.  I admit I thought benford would be a good hire but i was wrong.  He can recruit but not coach.  I think RV needs to go to CUSA and ask for help in making his football schedules maybe they can help.

• Downvote 2

i know it is easy to hammer RV for the hires but hiring the right person is not that easy.  Look at all of 1st round draft picks that bomb.  The NFL teams have more resources than we do and they still get it wrong.  I wish i could promise the next hire will be good but you never know until things play out.  I admit I thought benford would be a good hire but i was wrong.  He can recruit but not coach.  I think RV needs to go to CUSA and ask for help in making his football schedules maybe they can help.

You clearly don't understand how college football scheduling works.

Just like RV.