How do we feel about Lincoln Riley?

All About UNT

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/28/lincoln-riley-to-make-1-million-over-two-years-as-oklahomas-oc/

"it was revealed Wednesday that new offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley has inked a two-year contract that will pay him $500,000 annually. His contract was approved during an OU Board of Regents meeting."

so his buyout is just 500k?  He only makes 500k per year so roughly doubling that would surely be enticing to him.  Also... consider that he would not have to move but two hours away and would still recruit the same areas.

Makes a ton of sense to go after him pretty strongly.

RV wants an offensive coach that can recruit in the area and has strong Texas ties.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2316211-meet-lincoln-riley-fast-rising-mastermind-of-east-carolinas-high-octane-attack

Baker Mayfield has the highest QBR rating in the top 20 QBs (by passing yards)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/year/2015/group/80

With them playing ISU, Baylor and TCU you can guarantee that points will be scored aplenty and pushing them well into the top 10 offenses (scoring) in the nation

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total

http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/forums/2445-football-recruiting/14208275-lincoln-riley-could-be-a-candidate-for-north-texas-coaching-job

I believe someone leaked on here a long time ago that Riley was interested in UNT's OC opening when Chico was hired.  That was the same time that the pirate was fired and he did not have employment lined up for the next year.  Called a heckuva game for Tech in their bowl game that year, and when Ruffin McNeil (Tech's DC) was hired as HC at East Carolina, Riley tagged along as his OC.

Surely if he were interested then, he'd be interested now.

• Upvote 1

I believe someone leaked on here a long time ago that Riley was interested in UNT's OC opening when Chico was hired.  That was the same time that the pirate was fired and he did not have employment lined up for the next year.  Called a heckuva game for Tech in their bowl game that year, and when Ruffin McNeil (Tech's DC) was hired as HC at East Carolina, Riley tagged along as his OC.

Surely if he were interested then, he'd be interested now.

Could be, he just seems to be the seem thing everyone else is looking for right now. Young, offensive minded, recruiter. The OU fans on their fan forum may be right that he may hold out for better offers. I would love to get him though.  

Not saying he wouldn't hake a great hire, but 26 years old seems very young for someone to  build a staff that could  turn around one of the worst programs in D1. This may well be R.V.'s last head football hire  and I don't see him taking a big risk on someone who has so little experience.

Not saying he wouldn't hake a great hire, but 26 years old seems very young for someone to  build a staff that could  turn around one of the worst programs in D1. This may well be R.V.'s last head football hire  and I don't see him taking a big risk on someone who has so little experience.

he's 32 Wardly.  Sometimes people are wise and mature beyond their years.  Take Mark Zuckerburg for instance.  Riley seems like he's 45 from a maturity level.  Tutored under Mike Leach, Ruffin McNeil, Bob Stoops.  Had no coaching ties to his family.  Was a walk-on at Tech.  Self made, extremely intelligent, well spoken.  Watch the entire press conference link above when Stoops announced him as their OC.  Very impressive young man.

he's 32 Wardly.  Sometimes people are wise and mature beyond their years.  Take Mark Zuckerburg for instance.  Riley seems like he's 45 from a maturity level.  Tutored under Mike Leach, Ruffin McNeil, Bob Stoops.  Had no coaching ties to his family.  Was a walk-on at Tech.  Self made, extremely intelligent, well spoken.  Watch the entire press conference link above when Stoops announced him as their OC.  Very impressive young man.

Now this guy at 32, I would consider before Briles.  But in a perfect world, I would like an older coach to mentor him with the understanding that mentor would give way to the protege as head coach in 4 years.  Maybe something progressive like an 8 year escalating contract.  Makes sense of the up and coming coach for stability and makes since for UNT cause we can build in buyout clauses when a P5 makes a run at him.  Basically what I think UNT needs is an older coach to play politics, manage the AD situation and put a legitimate older trusted winner face on the program.   I would want a Riley type guy to be OC, focus on recruiting, offensive strategy, and getting young lower level staff/grad assistances that will be in their coaching prime when he assumes the reigns at HC at UNT.  If this plan is executed properly we are looking at UNT as a CUSA powerhouse.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Didn't know he was from Muleshoe. The gem of West Texas 

in deed he is. Home town of yours truely and Lincoln. He graduated with my brother and is top notch. Guy has a photographic memory and was on my original list. I actually tried to pull any strings I had to get dodge to hire him when they were all let go at Tech.  I'll promise you this, if we don't hire him, we will look back at him like we do harbaugh one day. 

• Upvote 2

...Basically what I think UNT needs is an older coach to play politics, manage the AD situation and put a legitimate older trusted winner face on the program...

Isn't that who we hired last time?  I would disagree about the "winner face on the program," but the powers that be thought Mac had that quality.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1

Could be, he just seems to be the seem thing everyone else is looking for right now. Young, offensive minded, recruiter. The OU fans on their fan forum may be right that he may hold out for better offers. I would love to get him though.  

Every fan of a good P5 program will scoff at the possibility of one of their assistants leaving for little ole UNT. In the end, that's their ego talking and they are as clueless as the rest of us. 

in deed he is. Home town of yours truely and Lincoln. He graduated with my brother and is top notch. Guy has a photographic memory and was on my original list. I actually tried to pull any strings I had to get dodge to hire him when they were all let go at Tech.  I'll promise you this, if we don't hire him, we will look back at him like we do harbaugh one day. 

Always good to meet a fellow West Texan, I was born and raised in Midland. I can understand where you're coming from. I would much rather him than lil' Briles

• Upvote 1

Isn't that who we hired last time?  I would disagree about the "winner face on the program," but the powers that be thought Mac had that quality.

Ignoring the fact that he had a losing record as head coach when he got here (27-68)?  Very few if any of the average fans knew much about Mac when he arrived.  And I am sure most recruits had the same reaction.  (That is by definition not a winning face)   The people making the decision gave him a pass because Iowa State is tough place to win at.  However with all his connection there he still had a losing record but they thought without Texas connections it would be easier here?... Dysfunctional and just plain dumb.    I like his speeches and rah, rah and hope for the best without looking at his head coaching record.    Which is part the reason Mac was surprised by the difficulty he had recruiting here.   And it not the age of the face is the experience they have whether they are 35 or 55 years old.  If Mac's record was closer to .500 when he arrived from coaching at places tough to recruit to with virtually no tradition of winning anything and had strong Texas connections it would be a very good hire in my opinion.  Look, Mac was a great, likable guy with great coach speak so we hoped for the best and moving on from the Dodge era his approach was refreshingly different,  What else could a good alumni do except support the new hire?  

• Downvote 1

Ignoring the fact that he had a losing record as head coach when he got here (27-68)?  Very few if any of the average fans knew much about Mac when he arrived.  And I am sure most recruits had the same reaction.  (That is by definition not a winning face)   The people making the decision gave him a pass because Iowa State is tough place to win at.  However with all his connection there he still had a losing record but they thought without Texas connections it would be easier here?... Dysfunctional and just plain dumb.    I like his speeches and rah, rah and hope for the best without looking at his head coaching record.    Which is part the reason Mac was surprised by the difficulty he had recruiting here.   And it not the age of the face is the experience they have whether they are 35 or 55 years old.  If Mac's record was closer to .500 when he arrived from coaching at places tough to recruit to with virtually no tradition of winning anything and had strong Texas connections it would be a very good hire in my opinion.  Look, Mac was a great, likable guy with great coach speak so we hoped for the best and moving on from the Dodge era his approach was refreshingly different,  What else could a good alumni do except support the new

Nope, don't think I'm ignoring it since I addressed it in my response.  The university sold him as a "winner" who can turn a program around because of the winning seasons he had at Iowa St.

Sorry guys. I thought I read somewhere that he was 26. My bad.

You read it here, but it's from 2010.  I thought the same thing until Harry pointed out he's 32.

Every fan of a good P5 program will scoff at the possibility of one of their assistants leaving for little ole UNT. 

We'll since we've already interviewed him,  they might want to get used to the idea. 

Always good to meet a fellow West Texan, I was born and raised in Midland. I can understand where you're coming from. I would much rather him than lil' Briles

West Texas Represent.  OHS here.