DeMarcus Smith

UNT90

He's a serviceable QB that we can win with. They stuck with what was working last night as they should have. His timing, touch and accuracy will all improve. Those are all very coachable. He has great arm strength, quick feet, and the "it" factor and those aren't coachable. He also makes good decisions with the football and good pocket awareness. He is 10 head and shoulders better than AM. Dan Mccarney is crazy, but we all know that. 

*In his 3 starts this year the drops have been astoundingly high. That is something that will stop with him repping with the 1's over the rest of this season, offseason, and spring ball. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

He needs to learn how to hold on to the ball.   He is an exciting qb but you have to worry about him fumbling.

Yes, something I forgot in my post. The fumble at the goal line was really dumb. You can't take three guys on head on and then try to reach the ball over the goal line. Hopefully it's a lessons learned.

Smith has the "it" factor, plays with heart, runs the ball like running back, is extremely athletic, and has a cannon for an arm. He is fast enough to outrun two levels of defense, but not the safeties. His timing and accuracy need to improve, but that is something that can be corrected over time in practice.

Remember, Smith has only played in three games in his entire college career, and he is completely changing the dynamics of our offense and making big-time plays (and big-time mistakes to go along with these). He has already set one UNT all-time record (pass over 200 and run over 100) in his first three starts.  I think we will set next season at QB while we find a new QB to take over for the future with the new head coach. 

• Upvote 6

First full game I have got to see him play.

Not the greatest passer in the world, obviosly. Everything is thrown at one speed, super hot, with no touch. He has accuracy problems, also. 

BUT

He can change the game with his feet, and did just that last night. He is so clearly a better QB than Mini Mac that there is little doubt to the nepotism claims at this point. 

That said, if teams find a way to shut down QB runs, we again become a one dimensional team. He needs to have competition for the QB spot next year. Competition that isn't currently on the roster.

Agree that he should have competition because every spot should have competition. No one should feel safe in their spot. It's how you get better. 

• Upvote 2

I have not watched a lot of football this season. How does he compare two DW?

DW was more accurate in the pocket.  Outside of that Smith is better at everything else.  If we had Smith for 3 more years of development I would be very excited about him.  Since we don't I think his upside is limited. Still is definitely the best QB on the team. 

Connor Means are you going to step up? 

• Upvote 1

With Doughty and Driskel leaving after this year, Smith is a candidate for All CUSA QB next season with the proper development and play calling. Him and Mullens. That is the kind of talent he is IMO. And Dan Mccarney had the audacity to not start him and probably still wouldn't be starting him. And there would be people on this very board still in support of Mccarney. Probably the same people that still support RV. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

His completion percentage went up to 50% this week and he had no picks. I don't think we'll ever see a 60%+ passer but if he can get in the high 50's and add 75+ rushing yards a game, the offense will be competitive.  For fumbles he needs to tuck the ball and not try to do too much. He's got a lot of heart, but live to play one more down. You've got a good RB that can get the tough yards. 

• Upvote 2

Not only is this just his 3rd start and game playing but he has fast the top two teams in CUSA!! (Another top team next week too against LaTech) so much better than any other QB we have on this roster. Coach Mac was obviously close friends with miniMac's dad to continue to let him be the starter. This is just another example of his stubborn personality. The game has changed and he hasn't (offense especially) cost us a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It'll be interesting to see how he does when he gets a full week of practice and doesn't have to deal with 1). Being told his best friend/brother has been killed, and 2). spending the week attending funerals instead of practicing. 

if anyone hasn't seen chico's post game locker room speech GO WATCH IT. He has those kids believing and playing hard for him.... I'm impressed and I am starting to question why he didn't get a shot at being the HC. Please go watch the video on Periscope those kids respond to him.

Yes what has D Smith had now a total of 8 practices in 3 weeks? Hasn't had the easiest road, but definitely needs to make the most of this weeks practice. La Tech will score at will on us and we will have no room for error on offense. It'll have to be score for score.

Not only is this just his 3rd start and game playing but he has fast the top two teams in CUSA!! (Another top team next week too against LaTech) so much better than any other QB we have on this roster. Coach Mac was obviously close friends with miniMac's dad to continue to let him be the starter. This is just another example of his stubborn personality. The game has changed and he hasn't (offense especially) cost us a lot.

McCarney believed in a seniority system. Hell, Wilson was having to split reps with Jimmerson. 

He didn't put the best players on the field and it cost him his job. 

But if you don't put the best coaches on the field, you get to keep your job for 18 years...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

The thing I like the most about Smith is his competitive spirit. I just like the way he goes out there and lays all on the line. The block he threw for Wilson when JW reversed his field man that was fun to watch. 

Obvisouly I'd like him to protect himself more, but damn I admire the competitiveness. 

He is certainly a guy we can win with. 

• Upvote 2

I am really excited about next season with Smith at the helm. Student interest is always restored for the first game of the season, and since it's a very winnable game in SMU, we could have a very nice bounce-back year. I do agree with all that has been said. He needs to tuck the ball when he runs. I'm kind of surprised his fumble wasn't reviewed to see if the ball had ever broken the plane but our team made up for it. The team as a whole has really cut the turnovers down, I think the only one last week was an INT that had been deflected behind the line of scrimmage. Last night seemed to be the first night that him and Carlos Harris got into a rhythm, which was very nice to see. I wish he wasn't always so quick to dart from the pocket. But I'm only a sophomore here, when's the last time we had a dual-threat QB running things (Besides Dajon)?

• Upvote 2

He was switching hands to protect the ball and just lost it. It shouldn't happen, but not something that is coachable.

Chico said on the post-game show that DaMarcus was wearing a long-sleeved undershirt that contributed to the fumble. He said that they cut the sleeves off a halftime.

• Upvote 4

I really would like for Mac to go off into the sun set and have our memories of him be that magic 2014 bowl and the other good things he did like GPA's etc.

After last night, I can't help but be disappointed that we did not start DaMarcus Smith at the beginning of this season.  It really set the program back.  He is so clearly the most talented guy.  Hopefully time will help me forget some of my anger in regards to this regrettable decision.

I really would like for Mac to go off into the sun set and have our memories of him be that magic 2014 bowl and the other good things he did like GPA's etc.

After last night, I can't help but be disappointed that we did not start DaMarcus Smith at the beginning of this season.  It really set the program back.  He is so clearly the most talented guy.  Hopefully time will help me forget some of my anger in regards to this regrettable decision.

I tried to tell people that, kicking and screaming. Then the Thursday before the SMU game you created the "get behind McNulty" thread. 

Dan Mccarney threw this season away, single handedly. I have 0 respect for him. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1