What's the big obsession with Fritz?

cdizzle86

If Fritz is hired, does RV's leash get a little longer?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. If Fritz is hired, does RV's leash get a little longer?

• Yes
    • No

And since the arms race began or the current age group (millennials) becoming college aged facilities are mattering more and more. Miami can't recruit their own backyard anywhere close to what they use to be able to do and that is the issue with the drop off of their program. Until they get their facilities up to par they will never win another ship again. 

From what I've read, Miami is struggling because they can't (like the administration is actively limiting) the talent from inner-city Miami, where they got so many of their greatest players. It's a weird dynamic they have going on where they want to profit from the past ('We invented swag') but want to clearly distance themselves from it.

I say that to illustrate the point that every school has its own quirk of circumstance that must be navigated. We need a guy that can recruit to while operating within ours. 

• Upvote 1

That's a good point, it does happen but it is rare.  The truth of the matter is I think he will most likely get a lower end P5 job offer this year.   

However even if he doesn't what is his best move to get to that P5 level?  Stay at GaSo where he has built a program, a staff, and relationships with area HS coaches, or go to NT where many HC's have failed before?  We would need to bury him in money in order for him to overcome the desire to stay.

Just a clarification. He hasn't really "built" a program at Ga. Southern. He is in his second year. He has built programs everywhere else and showed the ability to adapt and maximize his talent last year at Ga. Southern. 

• Upvote 1

I'll talk a little bit about what I think and know since I kinda stirred up the pot with the Fritz talk.

The folks that cover GSU have the same views as many do on here. That he would most likely wait for a better offer which could come this year or maybe next year. They eluded too GSU having a better team next year and getting a lot of their tough opponents at home. They dont view North Texas as having enough resources and $ to land Fritz. They arent sure whether he would want to make the leap back to Texas. They dont know why he would leave for NT and have to build up the program when he has one built at GSU.

So look its going to take one helluva a sell job from RV to get his number one target. 

My thinking on how this would work is that Fritz may not be a top tier candidate for every job. He may be that 5th guy on some teams wish list. If he is the #1 on ours now then we have plenty of time to talk with his agent. Let the agent know how much we'd be willing to pay and what not. Really show the love. GSU has had 2 coaches previously hired to bigger programs. Paul Johnson who went on to Navy and Jeff Monken who went on to Army. Maybe the GSU carries a stigma with it of just being an option team. 

Fritz is 55 so he likely to not make many more moves. Does he just wait it out at GSU or does he take the cash and run to NT and live out the rest of his days?

Im not obsessed with Fritz, but I do consider him the surest coach out there within our range. I think he would make North Texas an instant contender for the CUSA title every year. I believe he'd be able to develop his players and I dont think he'd have any problem landing a FBS level QB. There are plenty of read option QBs in Texas who would fit his scheme. Hell he'd have Smith for year one and RBs Wilson and Ivery. With Fritz at the helm NT could be back to leading the nation in rushing.

So while Fritz isnt flashy he is as solid as they come. He is Doc Holliday solid. He'd most likely build it and stay for the rest of his career. 

• Upvote 3

I'll talk a little bit about what I think and know since I kinda stirred up the pot with the Fritz talk.

The folks that cover GSU have the same views as many do on here. That he would most likely wait for a better offer which could come this year or maybe next year. They eluded too GSU having a better team next year and getting a lot of their tough opponents at home. They dont view North Texas as having enough resources and $ to land Fritz. They arent sure whether he would want to make the leap back to Texas. They dont know why he would leave for NT and have to build up the program when he has one built at GSU.

So look its going to take one helluva a sell job from RV to get his number one target.

My thinking on how this would work is that Fritz may not be a top tier candidate for every job. He may be that 5th guy on some teams wish list. If he is the #1 on ours now then we have plenty of time to talk with his agent. Let the agent know how much we'd be willing to pay and what not. Really show the love. GSU has had 2 coaches previously hired to bigger programs. Paul Johnson who went on to Navy and Jeff Monken who went on to Army. Maybe the GSU carries a stigma with it of just being an option team.

Fritz is 55 so he likely to not make many more moves. Does he just wait it out at GSU or does he take the cash and run to NT and live out the rest of his days?

Im not obsessed with Fritz, but I do consider him the surest coach out there within our range. I think he would make North Texas an instant contender for the CUSA title every year. I believe he'd be able to develop his players and I dont think he'd have any problem landing a FBS level QB. There are plenty of read option QBs in Texas who would fit his scheme. Hell he'd have Smith for year one and RBs Wilson and Ivery. With Fritz at the helm NT could be back to leading the nation in rushing.

So while Fritz isnt flashy he is as solid as they come. He is Doc Holliday solid. He'd most likely build it and stay for the rest of his career.

Another thing going for Fritz at Georgia Southern is that recruits know Georgia Southern winning traditions.  There are alot of GS grads that are HS HC's and assistant coaches inside the Eagles main recruiting area which is mainly within 300 miles of Statesboro.  Within this area the Eagles can recruit with anybody not in a P5 conference.

• Upvote 1

They dont view North Texas as having enough resources and $ to land Fritz. They arent sure whether he would want to make the leap back to Texas. They dont know why he would leave for NT and have to build up the program when he has one built at GSU.

He would probably at least double his salary coming here. He would have more money for assistants, a better conference, and a much better chance of being plucked for a P5 program. He doesn't have the connections that the Arkansas State one and dones did with former schools, and Ga. Southern just carries no weight at all.

I can see why he would stay there since it's low expectation, but I think he would be stupid to bypass a UNT offer on the table unless he had a P5 school offer.

He would probably at least double his salary coming here. He would have more money for assistants, a better conference, and a much better chance of being plucked for a P5 program. He doesn't have the connections that the Arkansas State one and dones did with former schools, and Ga. Southern just carries no weight at all.

I can see why he would stay there since it's low expectation, but I think he would be stupid to bypass a UNT offer on the table unless he had a P5 school offer.

I see you know nothing about Georgia Southern.

• Upvote 2

I see you know nothing about Georgia Southern.

I've heard of the FCS success, but the reality is that Georgia Southern is in the Sun Belt now. Low expectation refers to winning that conference, as opposed to winning an FCS championship. It's an even worse situation for him staying there if there's a really high expectation.

Either he stays at a place where he may get fired at any moment, or he goes to UNT, doubles his salary, and has a guaranteed five years of pay. 

Again, if UNT offers him, he's as good as gone from Ga. Southern.

I wouldn't say they have a program "built" at GSU. They got thrashed on national television by a transitional FBS school. Built programs don't do that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He would probably at least double his salary coming here.

Fritz makes $500,000 a year at Georgia Southern with a max bonus of $287,500. He made $35,000 in bonuses in 2014-15.

McCarney made $721,600 a year with a max bonus of $945,000. He made $0 in bonuses in 2014-15.

Source: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/