Anyone else feel UTSA's pain?

Harry

Don't get me wrong, I really want to beat them every chance we get.  Losing to them 2 straight years was one of the lowest points I have felt since becoming a fan.  I never really felt like Mac understood the importance of this series.  We;re Texans dammit!  This is state pride.  This is an important game no matter what the records are.

But looking at their current situation, a part of me feels a little sorry for them.  So much initial excitement with a new program.  Former national championship coach, rising AD, Media coverage, leap frogging conferences, beating teams they weren't supposed to beat.  Getting big teams at home.  Great attendance.

Then, after some setbacks they find themselves in a place all too familiar to us. 

I remember when we moved back up to I-A how visions of sugar plums danced in my head.  Every game was on national television, we were playing big time schools.  We were coming off of a great season in I-AA.  With every loss and every year that passed the excitement and hope started to dwindle.  The realization that our facilities were crap and the impact on recruiting became evident.

When I saw the UTSA's initial enthusiasm on the internet it reminded me of when we moved up and how naive we were as to what a hard road it would be.  Sure you get an initial boost when you show up on the scene, but as the losses pile up, the enthusiasm starts to fizzle.  The realities of facilities and funding start to creep in.  The beloved coach starts getting criticism from the fans.   The schedule, which initially looked so impressive, starts to look more like a funding mechanism more than anything else.  Friends, neighbors who were so interested in the program initially start to spend their time doing other things.

UTSA fans were quick to point out to us how much they had accomplished in a short period of time, and compared against us that is certainly true.  But competing at this level for the long term with limited funding is tough.  They seem to be making strides in that area but as we know it can take time.

I think we have the makings of great rivalry and hope that both programs will soon rise up from the doldrums we find ourselves in now.

Love ya Harry but ridiculous thread.  Does Bama feel bad for Auburn in down years?  As soon as they win again they are going to elevate over us in conference stature.  

If we are both good then fantastic.  If we are both bad that sucks, because I would prefer only they suck.

GMG

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Don't get me wrong, I really want to beat them every chance we get.  Losing to them 2 straight years was one of the lowest points I have felt since becoming a fan.  I never really felt like Mac understood the importance of this series.  We;re Texans dammit!  This is state pride.  This is an important game no matter what the records are.

But looking at their current situation, a part of me feels a little sorry for them.  So much initial excitement with a new program.  Former national championship coach, rising AD, Media coverage, leap frogging conferences, beating teams they weren't supposed to beat.  Getting big teams at home.  Great attendance.

Then, after some setbacks they find themselves in a place all too familiar to us. 

I remember when we moved back up to I-A how visions of sugar plums danced in my head.  Every game was on national television, we were playing big time schools.  We were coming off of a great season in I-AA.  With every loss and every year that passed the excitement and hope started to dwindle.  The realization that our facilities were crap and the impact on recruiting became evident.

When I saw the UTSA's initial enthusiasm on the internet it reminded me of when we moved up and how naive we were as to what a hard road it would be.  Sure you get an initial boost when you show up on the scene, but as the losses pile up, the enthusiasm starts to fizzle.  The realities of facilities and funding start to creep in.  The beloved coach starts getting criticism from the fans.   The schedule, which initially looked so impressive, starts to look more like a funding mechanism more than anything else.  Friends, neighbors who were so interested in the program initially start to spend their time doing other things.

UTSA fans were quick to point out to us how much they had accomplished in a short period of time, and compared against us that is certainly true.  But competing at this level for the long term with limited funding is tough.  They seem to be making strides in that area but as we know it can take time.

I think we have the makings of great rivalry and hope that both programs will soon rise up from the doldrums we find ourselves in now.

Do you think there's any chance we could hire their AD from them to hire our next football HC?

I wonder if they feel sorry for us. Nice stadium with a defeated football team, and an AD that is set in his ways.

I wouldn't say I feel "sorry" for  y'all but I don't like seeing those things happen to another team in our conference. 

I want C-USA to stand out in a good way.  That happens by having respectable, competitive and successful sports programs. 

I wish y'all and all the other teams the best...except when you're playing the Roadrunners...then I want you to get a beat down. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

no, most see a 65k seat p5 venue as +. A campus venue would be a waste of $. Focus is indoor facility for recruiting. As a rule they think its funny Nt doesnt  like them.

Did you just call the hellhole that is the Alamodome a P5 venue?

Of course we don't like UTSA. It's a commuter college playing in a dumpy stadium with ugly uniforms and a coach known for letting his players be a-holes that we unfortunately share a conference with backed by a bunch of drunk desperate football fans with no connections to the school they claim to root for. Meanwhile they talk about how great their attendance is, when it's 24,000 for the only football in the middle of one of the nation's largest cities...meaning it's actually quite pathetic. UNT meanwhile is an hour away from the metro area, and has to compete with actual football. UTSA is pretty pathetic in the grand scheme of things. So I find the talk funny.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Did you just call the hellhole that is the Alamodome a P5 venue?

Of course we don't like UTSA. It's a commuter college playing in a dumpy stadium with ugly uniforms and a coach known for letting his players be a-holes that we unfortunately share a conference with backed by a bunch of drunk desperate football fans with no connections to the school they claim to root for. Meanwhile they talk about how great their attendance is, when it's 24,000 for the only football in the middle of one of the nation's largest cities...meaning it's actually quite pathetic. UNT meanwhile is an hour away from the metro area, and has to compete with actual football. UTSA is pretty pathetic in the grand scheme of things. So I find the talk funny.

I agree with everything except the unaffiliated city fans part. I would love for Denton to embrace us and come to the games. We need all the exposure and revenue we can get.

I would love for Denton to embrace us more as well, but not at the expense of students/alumni.

But if/when that happens, you make UNT games a hot ticket. If alumni have a hard time getting tickets because Denton residents are in the stands then great. If students get pushed to the endzone because we have 30K on the reg then great. I would be happy if fans had a hard time getting walk-up tickets. I want traffic jams on game day. I want Denton to see the amazing tailgating on the Hill. 

• Upvote 6