Anyone else feel UTSA's pain?

Harry

No. 

They are doing poorly this year because of injuries and defection of QBs.  Guy starting now wasn't even on their depth chart when the season began. 

Their #2 bailed right after the first game.  The #3, who as a transfer from Michigan, bailed in October a couple of days after their #1 went out with a concussion.  The concussion looks like it will sideline #1 for the rest of the season.

They've lost a couple of close games.  We haven't lost a couple of close games; we get blown out - with no injuries or defections at quarterback to excuse it.  All of our quarterbacks are healthy and eager to play:  "Gamers."

What we will find out Saturday is whether UTSA's not-on-the-depth-chart walk-on quarterback is better than our scholarship quarterbacks.  Unfortunately, he probably is.  So, no...no pity for UTSA. 

• Upvote 3

Dome hosts New Year Day Alamo Bowl with required facilities. Regardless if you like them or not, their stadium, fans, attendance, etc., the facts remain dispite your degrading their accomplishments or justifying your failures. UNT has got to start winning to change the culture. I'm hopeful a HC who can recruit and develop talent that comes in. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dome hosts New Year Day Alamo Bowl with required facilities. Regardless if you like them or not, their stadium, fans, attendance, etc., the facts remain dispite your degrading their accomplishments or justifying your failures. UNT has got to start winning to change the culture. I'm hopeful a HC who can recruit and develop talent that comes in. 

It hosts the Alamo Bowl because SA is a destination city and there is nowhere else to hold it. Every year the media and teams complain about it. What accomplishments? One good season? Sounds a lot like UNT's last few years.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

No. 

They are doing poorly this year because of injuries and defection of QBs.  Guy starting now wasn't even on their depth chart when the season began. 

Their #2 bailed right after the first game.  The #3, who as a transfer from Michigan, bailed in October a couple of days after their #1 went out with a concussion.  The concussion looks like it will sideline #1 for the rest of the season.

They've lost a couple of close games.  We haven't lost a couple of close games; we get blown out - with no injuries or defections at quarterback to excuse it.  All of our quarterbacks are healthy and eager to play:  "Gamers."

What we will find out Saturday is whether UTSA's not-on-the-depth-chart walk-on quarterback is better than our scholarship quarterbacks.  Unfortunately, he probably is.  So, no...no pity for UTSA. 

Just to clarify here:

Do you equate wins & losses to how good a QB is?  As in, there are no other positions on the field that contribute to wins/losses?

Let's see what DS does in this game (you know, an actual game he's going to start where we could win) before we blame him for the loss.

• Upvote 1

Never seen Apogee on a "worst stadium" list. However...

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/worst-college-football-stadiums-america-s-worst-stadiums-to-watch-fbs-college-football
http://therivardreport.com/the-alamodome-wrong-project-at-the-wrong-time/
http://www.footballnation.com/content/college-football-2014-the-10-worst-stadiums-the-land/30125/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/779467-the-30-worst-stadiums-and-arenas-in-american-sports
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/447653-the-25-dumbest-stadiums-ever-built

The Alamodome is nothing but a Red McCombs fleece on the city, and an eyesore. Bad for concerts, useless for NFL, too big for CFB, super cavernous making it a non-factor for homefield, in dire need of renovations (Super Pit style press box? WTF?), horrific scoreboards, hideous design on the outside, poor parking, poor location...it's also *incredibly* far from campus, which is why no students go to the UTSA games.

Insert Horrible Sound System

I would love for Denton to embrace us more as well, but not at the expense of students/alumni.

Downtown Denton Businesses are trying but its time for the citizens of Denton to actually give a shit about the Town they live in and start caring for the University that helps the Denton Economy Grow more and more each year. Thats the main reason why Denton Businesses have stepped up because they know their clientele. Fry Street Bars and Businesses on the square run shuttles to and from games to help get people out there. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink

• Upvote 1

But if/when that happens, you make UNT games a hot ticket. If alumni have a hard time getting tickets because Denton residents are in the stands then great. If students get pushed to the endzone because we have 30K on the reg then great. I would be happy if fans had a hard time getting walk-up tickets. I want traffic jams on game day. I want Denton to see the amazing tailgating on the Hill. 

This.

Just to clarify here:
Do you equate wins & losses to how good a QB is?  As in, there are no other positions on the field that contribute to wins/losses?

Let's see what DS does in this game (you know, an actual game he's going to start where we could win) before we blame him for the loss.

I'm crazier than most fans, so I do believe a quarterback plays an important role in the success of a football team.  The only factor?  No.  A large factor?  Yes.  But, I'm not a Mike Leach type.

DS moves the ball every well at the end of each half when teams are either in a prevent-type (end of first half) or have put thers sends and thirds on the field (when we're behind by 30-40+ points, end of game).  To begin the game, and in between, he's not good. 

DS, like McNulty and Greer before him, is terrible against ones.  It's cute that he piled up a bunch of yards against backups in the blow out loss to WKU.  But, in the end, it meant nothing.  These guys, as I've stated before, would be good FCS quarterbacks, and probably great/possibly All-Conference D-II quarterbacks.  All-American D-III or NAIA quarterbacks.

We don't have a quarterback on the roster suited for FBS football.  And, due to injury and defection, neither does UTSA.  They have a better defense.  We have better special teams.  So, at least the game shouldn't be another blow out against us.

If UTSA does blow us out.  I really see no point in even keeping the coaching staff for the rest of the season.  The players may as well coach themselves if it really is that bad.  We could be the first school in 100 years or so that employ the player-coach concept in football.  

Insert Horrible Sound System

Downtown Denton Businesses are trying but its time for the citizens of Denton to actually give a shit about the Town they live in and start caring for the University that helps the Denton Economy Grow more and more each year. Thats the main reason why Denton Businesses have stepped up because they know their clientele. Fry Street Bars and Businesses on the square run shuttles to and from games to help get people out there. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink

Isn't is a part of a self fulfilling prophecy? (Since we are generalizing the residents of Denton let's generalize the football program too) 

The team is bad and loses a lot to teams no one has heard of. The teams people have heard of never play in Denton and always beat UNT. 

Someone has posted the numbers before. Don't get butthurt that we suck at everything. 

Look, I am not butthurt, as you say, but you throw out some wild stuff from time to time, and I had never heard this.  If you have the facts, I would love to see them.

• Upvote 1

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/worst-college-football-stadiums-america-s-worst-stadiums-to-watch-fbs-college-football
http://www.footballnation.com/content/college-football-2014-the-10-worst-stadiums-the-land/30125/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/779467-the-30-worst-stadiums-and-arenas-in-american-sports

The Alamodome is nothing but a Red McCombs fleece on the city, and an eyesore. Bad for concerts, useless for NFL, too big for CFB, super cavernous making it a non-factor for homefield, in dire need of renovations (Super Pit style press box? WTF?), horrific scoreboards, hideous design on the outside, poor parking, poor location...it's also *incredibly* far from campus, which is why no students go to the UTSA games.

Last post on this assuming that there is governing interest for varacity. The dome was paid for by visitors to the city with hotel tax and was paid in full and the tax recinded, hardly a fleecing. Your comment on no home field advantage is so incorrect that it would sound disingenuous except you don't live here. Several teams have said they practice for the noise when they wouldn't otherwise, other coaches said it created play calling issues on the field at critical times and last year (I think) when asked about the crowd noise in Oregan, the Arizona qb said they played in louder this season (unt? No, utsa) the dome is undergoing major renovations to address your points. Anyway, facilities are an ass whip because no one cares. Does USC or Miami care that they are off campus? No. Regarding student attendance, people bandwagon winners, talk sh*t when their team wins- attendance is and always is tied to winning. Off campus, on campus or across town, a*s kickers put butts in seats and win NSD. Anything else is window dressing and bull s.

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 1

Should SA get an NFL team, there will be a new stadium built for said team.  And once that new stadium is built, the Alamo Bowl will move to that new stadium as the Alamodome lacks many modern amenities.

I'd be shocked to see the Alamadome stick around if a new stadium is built, too.  I just can't see a city putting up the funds necessary to maintain two large capacity football-esque venues.  Houston might be the only city I know of that is doing that and Houston so badly wants to knock down the "8th Wonder of the World" Astrodome.

I'm crazier than most fans, so I do believe a quarterback plays an important role in the success of a football team.  The only factor?  No.  A large factor?  Yes.  But, I'm not a Mike Leach type.

DS moves the ball every well at the end of each half when teams are either in a prevent-type (end of first half) or have put thers sends and thirds on the field (when we're behind by 30-40+ points, end of game).  To begin the game, and in between, he's not good. 

DS, like McNulty and Greer before him, is terrible against ones.  It's cute that he piled up a bunch of yards against backups in the blow out loss to WKU.  But, in the end, it meant nothing.  These guys, as I've stated before, would be good FCS quarterbacks, and probably great/possibly All-Conference D-II quarterbacks.  All-American D-III or NAIA quarterbacks.

We don't have a quarterback on the roster suited for FBS football.  And, due to injury and defection, neither does UTSA.  They have a better defense.  We have better special teams.  So, at least the game shouldn't be another blow out against us.

If UTSA does blow us out.  I really see no point in even keeping the coaching staff for the rest of the season.  The players may as well coach themselves if it really is that bad.  We could be the first school in 100 years or so that employ the player-coach concept in football.  

brilliant... 18 D1 schools evaluated Smith as a D1 QB.. The same ones who evaluated bridgewater, doughty, and on and on. Yet you somehow project him as FCS at best. 

• Upvote 1

lol wut

We have the youngest team in all of FBS. This was a rebuilding year all along, even if last season had gone as planned. The young guys look like they have a good future they just need to get some hair on their balls first. If we are starting seasons 1-6 once all these underclassmen become upperclassmen...then I'll start getting worried about becoming another UNT. Until then I like our future.

BTW regarding the Alamodome...I get that Apogee is UNT's and the Dome isn't UTSA's, but aside from that why in the world would y'all compare a little $78 mill facility to a $300+ mill one that is about to get $50 mill in renovations? Seems pretty dumb.

Hey genius, click on that first link and take a look at #8. 

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

brilliant... 18 D1 schools evaluated Smith as a D1 QB.. The same ones who evaluated bridgewater, doughty, and on and on. Yet you somehow project him as FCS at best. 

Out of high school.  Not out of JUCO.  He's never lived up to whatever "potential" he was said to have in high school. 

It appears that we were the only school interested in him out of JUCO:  http://sports.yahoo.com/latech/football/recruiting/player-DaMarcus-Smith-168496

So, as stated before, coaches don't just look at youtube highlights.  Coaches saw enough of whatever JUCO game film there was to decide he wasn't worth the price of a scholarship...except for our coaches. 

And, to me, that's the stink of the whole season - McCarney and Canales knew deep down that McNulty and Greer were so bad, and the rest of the hangers on polluting the roster were no better, that they gambled on Smith.

He burned them by not becoming eligible until summer.  I'm certain that's one of the reason we were his only hope:  so desperate for help at QB that we'd sign a guy we knew wouldn't be ready for spring.

Then, he gets here and doesn't put in the work.  This isn't shocking.  It's not even newsworthy.  Many recruits never live up to their potential because the work to do it at this level is either too difficult for them, they are too lazy, or both.  Smith is just another.  We already saw two blow through here named Brock and Dajon.  Guys who thought they'd live on their youtube highlights forever. 

Man, college football is tough!  These coaches are jerks to want me to lift weights, study defenses, watch game film, learn playbooks!  Haven't they seen my youtube highlights?  Don't they know how many stars yahoo/rivals gave me in high school?  I was ranked right next to Johnny Manziel!

The funny thing is to me is the posters saying to me, in essence, "Forget about Smith's first two starts.  They don't count because the competition was so high.  Judge him for what he does against the 1-5 start-up program UTSA. That's where we find out what he's made of!"

Yeah, okay.  You have set the bar at UTSA.  Not me.  You all set it there.  It's absurd.  Either way, you lose.  The guy, with the bar set where you set it, will be a success if he "beats" UTSA.  He could go 1-6 as the starter.  But, doggone it...only judge him by what he does against UTSA!

McCarney and Canales have no one to blame but themselves.  But, shed no tears.  Even though the screw up in QB recruiting ultimately cost McCarney his job, he is being paid handsomely on his contract. 

Canales...well...he was a good soldier.  Followed McCarney's command to the hilt, to the point where his QB choices are McNulty, Greer, or Smith.  He could literally put their names in a hat, shake it up, and pull one out every series to see who plays; it wouldn't make a difference.  He'd just have to remember to stick Smith in there with a minute or two left so we could ring up our traditional late touchdown against the scrubs.  

He's done it to himself, Canales.  The other option would have been the route Mark Mangino just took - defy your failing head coach...and get fired.  Canales isn't that type.  So, he'll seek out greener pastures after Thanksgiving.

Here's the deal...

UTSA made a great hire in Larry Coker.  Coker went door to door talking to prospects and was able to visit with everyone he wanted because of his national championship ring.  What else did UTSA have to offer a recruit ?  They had no tradition.   They had no "last year's record",  They couldn't even show recruits the on-campus stadium.  There was no stadium to show. 

What they did have was a coach sitting in a kid's living room that had won a national championship paying attention to that kid.  That and a real opportunity to play.  Of course they had success.

But now, the new has worn off the program.  More and more kids don't know what Larry Coker did at Miami back in 2001.  There's still no on-campus stadium, and although the Roadrunners were able to skip many of the dues paid by most schools, reality has hit them right between the eyes.  Welcome to mid-major status. 

Am I jealous of what they've done in 5 seasons ?  You bet. 

Do I feel sorry for them ?  Absolutely not. 

So, if UTSA beats us again this season, I have to reconcile to myself that NT is always going to be a sure win for whoever our opponent is.  I will always love the school and I'm very fond of the fans both here on GMG as well as those I visit with at Apogee. 

I'd like to hire Tom Landry or Knute Rockne or Vince Lombardi or Nick Sabin.  I expect we'll hire the football equalivant to Tony Benford.

But forever...GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Oh, the list that had Fouts in it originally and then confused? I compared them because the Alamodome is a black eye on your city.

Oh yeah, they changed it from Fouts to Apogee in the 24 hrs since you posted that link. 

Claims he has never seen Apogee on a worst stadiums list, proceeds to post a link with Apogee at #8, 6 spots above the stadium he is trying to put down. 

The Alamodome has hosted events Apogee could only dream of hosting. Far from a black eye. Apogee might be a gem in the HS ranks, right up there with Allen High School's stadium, but in the college world there's absolutely nothing special about it. 

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Oh yeah, they changed it from Fouts to Apogee in the 24 hrs since you posted that link. 

Claims he has never seen Apogee on a worst stadiums list, proceeds to post a link with Apogee at #8, 6 spots above the stadium he is trying to put down. 

The Alamodome has hosted events Apogee could only dream of hosting. Far from a black eye. Apogee might be a gem in the HS ranks, right up there with Allen High School's stadium, but in the college world there's absolutely nothing special about it. 

Dear GMG.com family:

Before you blow a carotid thinking of something quippy to say in reply, please remember, it's dudes like this that are fueling your "hatred" for UTSA.
This is the only reason you 'hate' them.

Your friend,
MeanGreenTexan - realist, esq.

• Upvote 1

Dear GMG.com family:
Before you blow a carotid thinking of something quippy to say in reply, please remember, it's dudes like this that are fueling your "hatred" for UTSA.
This is the only reason you 'hate' them.

Your friend,
MeanGreenTexan - realist, esq.

seriously, no these dudes just make me smh, as does all terrible internetting. 

I only hate because we lost and it felt really bad to lose and I want our guys to win. And I live in SA and I hate to hear bragging about them beating my team. 

• Upvote 1

Of course it can host events that Apogee can't. It's a dome stupid!  BTW: How much of the revenue from these events is nUTSAck receiving? Zero. 

Gil Brandt on Apogee:

"It's a Taj Mahal. It is an unbelievable facility. I think I've been to every college stadium that's ever been built and this is really, really something special. I came up here a week ago, to just see it, and the attention to detail is unbelievable. We have a female official out there tonight. They have two official locker rooms. So that they have one for the male officials and one for the female officials. That's why I say everything has been thought out."

8e43ab13e4efd7950e92d212a3f03e05.jpg

• Upvote 2