DaMarcus Smith

adman

0-2 as a starter. 

Oh, and Canales has no "handcuffs" now. 

Neg on. 

Well, if you go from third string one week to first string the next, in game 6 of a season as bad as any of us remember, what do you really expect?  Maybe that the coaches were secretly spending a lot of time getting him practice reps during the week to get him up to speed while publicly throwing him under the bus at every opportunity?  Or that the receivers were being coached on how to catch a ball with any zip on it?  Neg on???  What is your point, really?

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 3

Well, if you go from third string one week to first string the next, in game 6 of a season as bad as any of us remember, what do you really expect?  Maybe that the coaches were secretly spending a lot of time getting him practice reps during the week to get him up to speed while publicly throwing him under the bus at every opportunity?  Or that the receivers were being coached on how to catch a ball with any zip on it?  Neg on???  What is your point, really?

week on which you have a Thursday game so 2 says of real practice the. Walk through Wednesday... The. Friday - Sunday off and 4 days of practice the following week, and Friday off come on guys.. He's going to be a bit green

What's your point? 

I think his point is that there isn't a legit FBS QB anywhere on this roster. 

And that is completely on Canales. Those that think he should be GIVEN this job (because he certainly hasn't earned it) have serious college football IQ issues, or are just so beaten down by years of losing they have learned to accept it, even embrace it. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

Those that think he should be GIVEN this job 

That's not even a remote possibility.  At all.  Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.  

I think I like Canales as a person.  He seems genuine to me, at least now more than back in 2010 when he was so openly campaigning for himself.  He knows this is his last hurrah at UNT, and I think he's handling it with class and grace.  

But whatever I may think, whatever you may think, whatever the active Canales supporters think, his last day on the job will be November 28, 2015.

• Upvote 2

Bullshit.  Smith was an Elite 11 out of high school and is a D1/FBS quarterback, but he needs some time.  I think McNulty is a great young man, but the reps should have been given to Smith from Day 1 this fall.  His ability and potential is so much greater than anybody else's on the roster andthere isn't a close second.

I am beginning to believe that Canales was being held back by Mac's old school ways.  I look at how the team responded to him after Dodge was fired and now after Mac was fired and these kids respond to him.  The recruitment od Chris Riddle leads me to believe Mac was hampering him.  Just look at the commemts from Riddle's dad.  He mentioned earlier that Canales wanted to offer, but Mac wasn't ready or would not let him.  How many other offers were stopped by Mac?  I would just like to see how the team and program would respond under his leadership for a spring, summer and fall instead of gauging his success being thrown in the fire with just a couple of weeks to prepare for the 2 best teams in CUSA.

Are you arguing that there is a legit FBS QB on the roster RIGHT NOW? Because statistics disagree with you. A lot. 

Because that is the point. Canales has been here 5 years. And here we sit without a QB that can't complete 50% of his passes (any QB). 

Whatever Smith may or may not turn into isn't the point, although I have serious doubts if he will turn into a legit FBS QB. But that's just me.

And yes, he should be starting because he is the best we have. We are just terrible at the position. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

90, come on man. D. smith is an FBS QB. He played Juco ball for 2 years where he could do the stuff he has (tried) to do vs d1 talent and it doesn't work on this level. He's also gone against the two best teams in CUSA, both of which have competed with some of the top programs in the country and gave them fits for quite a bit of time. Not excusing his lack of execution, but no first team or second team reps for 7/8 weeks, 3 days of practice, a Thursday game vs former school, Friday- Sunday off practice Monday-Thursday walk through Friday, plane gets in at midnight night of a 2:30 kickoff, kid hasn't exactly been eased into D1 football.  The play calls could probably change a bit to get him more in a rhythm and keep the defense on its heals...all in all I think he shows HUGE promise, he just needs coaching, and game reps. He clearly has the talent. 

• Upvote 5

I'll give you the same tap the brakes I did on Dajon. 

Until I see this kid complete 60% of his passes without an interception in a game, my opinion won't change, and I have zero faith in Chico to develop what he does have. 

He has a strong arm, but is inaccurate and doesn't make the best decisions. 

Decision making could improve. I don't think accuracy will under Chico. 

But lije I said, he is the best we have, so along with you, I hope for the best. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

What I find maddening is Smith's inaccuracy. He threw a 5 yard out in the dirt then came back on the next play and threw the same pattern over the TE's head. It Does Not get any more basic then that pattern. Less than 50% completion percentage is unacceptable for any qb. 

• Upvote 2

What I find maddening is Smith's inaccuracy. He threw a 5 yard out in the dirt then came back on the next play and threw the same pattern over the TE's head. It Does Not get any more basic then that pattern. Less than 50% completion percentage is unacceptable for any qb. 

Marshall was the best pass defense in CUSA. They've been allowing less than 50% completion percentage all year. It's pretty tough when your 1st 2 starts are against 2 of the best defenses we've faced all year. He is an above 50% passer it's just going to take a lil time to get rhythm and chemistry with the WRs. 

He has FBS level tools. I think they are asking too much of him. Lean more on Wilson and Ivery. 

• Upvote 6

I believe that part of his low completion rate is due to lack of reps that he's received thus far this year.  I believe that some of his incompletions are throw aways but perhaps close enough that only his receivers have much of a chance at the ball.  Notice that he has fewer interceptions and a higher passing rating than McNulty who has a better completion percentage.  Plus, he has often been blitzed and has had to throw on the run.  Seldom does he get to set up and throw to an open receiver.

I also hope that Chico will design some plays that take advantage of his strengths.

• Upvote 1

Marshall was the best pass defense in CUSA. They've been allowing less than 50% completion percentage all year. It's pretty tough when your 1st 2 starts are against 2 of the best defenses we've faced all year. He is an above 50% passer it's just going to take a lil time to get rhythm and chemistry with the WRs. 

He has FBS level tools. I think they are asking too much of him. Lean more on Wilson and Ivery. 

I believe that part of his low completion rate is due to lack of reps that he's received thus far this year.  I believe that some of his incompletions are throw aways but perhaps close enough that only his receivers have much of a chance at the ball.  Notice that he has fewer interceptions and a higher passing rating than McNulty who has a better completion percentage.  Plus, he has often been blitzed and has had to throw on the run.  Seldom does he get to set up and throw to an open receiver.

I also hope that Chico will design some plays that take advantage of his strengths.

Come on guys I don't care how good their secondary is and it's not a matter of how many reps he's had. He's been playing the position long enough to complete a non-contested five yard out.  Make better throws. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

0-2 as a starter. 

Oh, and Canales has no "handcuffs" now. 

Neg on. 

In the same boat with you.  Have said it before:  schools always need quarterbacks...yet, somehow, he passed down to us.  And, coaches watch more than just youtube highlights.  Something on complete game films kept schools from offering him the second time around out of Butler.

Canales does share some of the blame, though, because he is supposed to evaluate these guys during recruiting.  And, the off the field evaluation should have tipped us as well - didn't qualify out of high school to get into UCF.  Didn't qualify to participate in spring with us.

So, it wasn't shocking to learn that he wasn't putting in film time.  This isn't a kid that lights his own fire.  And, four years after high school, he's way behind the curve.  Marshall started a freshman yesterday.  He was on a different level than Smith.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1