NT daily article on banner

BillySee58

I'm guessing here...but I can see how Brashier would get upset and leave if he perhaps was told he had a shot at also being the AD as well?  Can't see the article having a thing to do with it...but of course I wasn't there.  But there still wasn't fan support to begin with and that surely played into the decisions to drop us down.  Bad timing and luck.

Rick

I understand. There was some context that was left out of that comment, but not horribly so. I didn't want this portrayed as me having any ax to grind at all, because I don't. And I wanted to emphasize that I was merely a facilitator. I also told him about the poll but that didn't make it in the article. 

I'd rather be on the safe side than sound like a raving madman.  

If you walk outside today, I would walk in a serpentine pattern so as to not give God a clean shot.

• Upvote 1

I sure hope this works and doesn't backfire.   Similar to the office of the President of the USA not ever wanting to be seen as bowing down to terrorism, I could see the office of the President of UNT not ever wanting to be seen as bowing down to flying banner campaigns.  Even if Smatresk had been considering getting rid of RV, we could be tying his hands.  Otherwise he could start seeing flying banners for other random things people don't like about UNT.  "STOP STUDENT ATHLETIC FEES", "WIND TURBINES KILL BIRDS", "THE MEATLOAF AT KERR SUCKS",etc.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 4

Hayden Fry left because he knew NT would NEVER be invited into The SWC conference because three of the four private schools were against it!!!!!  I have always felt my college experience was enhance because of Hayden Fry and what he accomplished at NT.

• Upvote 2

I sure hope this works and doesn't backfire.   Similar to the office of the President of the USA not ever wanting to be seen as bowing down to terrorism, I could see the office of the President of UNT not ever wanting to be seen as bowing down to flying banner campaigns.  Even if Smatresk had been considering getting rid of RV, we could be tying his hands.  Otherwise he could start seeing flying banners for other random things people don't like about UNT.  "STOP STUDENT ATHLETIC FEES", "WIND TURBINES KILL BIRDS", "THE MEATLOAF AT KERR SUCKS",etc.

That didn't happen at UT. 

• Upvote 1

If you walk outside today, I would walk in a serpentine pattern so as to not give God a clean shot.

Whatever dude. 

This is about job performance on multiple levels. If expecting a person to do well at their job is "an ax to grind," you got me. 

Good.

Lord. 

• Upvote 1

Whatever dude. 

This is about job performance on multiple levels. If expecting a person to do well at their job is "an ax to grind," you got me. 

You seem to be a little on edge lately. 

Every post, every thread, every day. Same message. Yes, I would call it an ax(e). 

Whatever floats your boat. You got passion, at least on this topic.  Good luck?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pre-game banner or not, I bet we get a nice bump in attendance because of this. Could be more exciting than the game itself. Nice promo!

We need any boost we can get. Two years ago, when we were coming into our Halloween game with a three-game win streak and a chance to clinch bowl eligibility, the attendance was 22,835. My how the tables have turned. There's a good chance we will be 0-7 and I assume this year the students would rather hit up the parties than even catch a whiff of UNT/UTSA. Over 9,000 students, one of the school's largest freshman classes ever, has yet to see a Mean Green victory.

We need any boost we can get. Two years ago, when we were coming into our Halloween game with a three-game win streak and a chance to clinch bowl eligibility, the attendance was 22,835. My how the tables have turned. There's a good chance we will be 0-7 and I assume this year the students would rather hit up the parties than even catch a whiff of UNT/UTSA. Over 9,000 students, one of the school's largest freshman classes ever, has yet to see a Mean Green victory.

Might be the saddest part of this entire debacle. The fans we are losing...is baffling. 

You are right. Two weeks is not 2 days, nor is it 24 hours. I am just frustrated over the entire banner situation. For every action there is a reaction, sometimes unexpected. After Haden Fry left his heir apparent was Bill Brasher, whom I did not know. He was endorsed by the president,Jitter Nolan, Mean Green Club, and the players. However, a friend and I decided that we needed a bigger splash in order to keep our dream of admission to the Southwest Conference alive. So we took out an ad in the DMN sports page stating that we needed a "name coach, not a no name coach", and if you agreed you could call Jitter Nolan. We provided both his home and office phone number, and signed the article Concerned Alumni For Athletics.As a result, North Texas decided to hire an athletic director first, which so angered coach Brasher that he withdrew his name from consideration and went to Iowa with coach Fry. The DMN then wrote a long article about "these guys aren't kidding. They have a lot of money, and are talking about hiring Ara Parsegan[sic] form Notre Dame." In fact it was just me,$500,  and another dumb friend who did not did not think our actions thru.I ran my own business for 30 years and have done my share of terminating employees. However, to this day I still feel embarrassed and ashamed for what I did nearly 40 years ago. I have never shared this story  with anyone other that a few close friends, but thought it might make those hell bent of flying this banner stop and give pause.

Giving out the President's home number was definitely not cool, but there was nothing else you did that was wrong (or should be ashamed about).

The banner is a just another result of RV's failings.  That is so important to understand.   He is okay at raising a little money from donors, but can't put butts in seats and he can't produce competitive teams in the money sports.  The product he is selling just isn't good enough.  It's not good enough for the University of North Texas.  It just isn't.

You seem to be a little on edge lately. 

Every post, every thread, every day. Same message. Yes, I would call it an ax(e). 

Whatever floats your boat. You got passion, at least on this topic.  Good luck?

Na, just know snarkiness when it rears its ugly little head. 

Edited by UNT90

IT WAS ALREADY WINDY ENOUGH BEFORE YOU PUT THOSE FANS IN!

This reminds me of something my wife said before the Portland State game.  I saw the turbines weren't working and I light heartedly said "Look, someone turned the fans off." My wife quickly responded with "I thought North Texas turned off the fans weeks ago."