NT daily article on banner

BillySee58

good article...i like that football records of his hires were added...seeing those numbers, in an aritcle, is a good thing

edit:  i started a thread on the csnbbs cusa conference messageboard with a link to the article and a quick description...might as well spread the word throughout the conference...

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 3

The Daily has taken some (much deserved) flak over the years, but their more recent work shows they've stepped up their game.

The only quibble I have with this piece is it seems to indicate that RV built Apogee on his own. He played an important role, but he wasn't the only one playing a major role.

I'm sure explaining that would have required more space than they had.

I would have preferred not to comment at all, but the negative perception of "no comment" worried me.

If any of the other contributors want to comment, PM me and I'll forward the info along and see if he is interested in talking to you.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I understand. There was some context that was left out of that comment, but not horribly so. I didn't want this portrayed as me having any ax to grind at all, because I don't. And I wanted to emphasize that I was merely a facilitator for the him about the poll, but that didn't make it in the article. 

I'd rather be on the safe side than sound like a raving madman.  

I think the importance of this cannot be overstated. If we begin to look like "raving madmen," our motion will have lost all momentum and those wanting to separate RV from the university will once again be marginalized. I think you chose the best tactic. 

• Upvote 2

I think the importance of this cannot be overstated. If we begin to look like "raving madmen," our motion will have lost all momentum and those wanting to separate RV from the university will once again be marginalized. I think you chose the best tactic. 

Banner haters are going to call us raving madmen, but we aren't. We're just people who have supported this program for a long time and would like to not be a regular Bottom 10 punch line at some point during our lifespan.

Remember when longtime New York Jets owner Leon Hess gave that tragic speech in his 80s where he said "I just want the Jets to win again before I die"? That's us. Following the Mean Green during Rick Villarreal's time as AD has artificially aged us, so we have taken to the skies.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 5

Yup. Unbiased reading of their comments, who sounds more sane: RV or 90? 

• Upvote 2

You are right. Two weeks is not 2 days, nor is it 24 hours. I am just frustrated over the entire banner situation. For every action there is a reaction, sometimes unexpected. After Haden Fry left his heir apparent was Bill Brasher, whom I did not know. He was endorsed by the president,Jitter Nolan, Mean Green Club, and the players. However, a friend and I decided that we needed a bigger splash in order to keep our dream of admission to the Southwest Conference alive. So we took out an ad in the DMN sports page stating that we needed a "name coach, not a no name coach", and if you agreed you could call Jitter Nolan. We provided both his home and office phone number, and signed the article Concerned Alumni For Athletics.As a result, North Texas decided to hire an athletic director first, which so angered coach Brasher that he withdrew his name from consideration and went to Iowa with coach Fry. The DMN then wrote a long article about "these guys aren't kidding. They have a lot of money, and are talking about hiring Ara Parsegan[sic] form Notre Dame." In fact it was just me,$500,  and another dumb friend who did not did not think our actions thru.I ran my own business for 30 years and have done my share of terminating employees. However, to this day I still feel embarrassed and ashamed for what I did nearly 40 years ago. I have never shared this story  with anyone other that a few close friends, but thought it might make those hell bent of flying this banner stop and give pause.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

You are right. Two weeks is not 2 days, nor is it 24 hours. I am just frustrated over the entire banner situation. For every action there is a reaction, sometimes unexpected. After Haden Fry left his heir apparent was Bill Brasher, whom I did not know. He was endorsed by the president,Jitter Nolan, Mean Green Club, and the players. However, a friend and I decided that we needed a bigger splash in order to keep our dream of admission to the Southwest Conference alive. So we took out an ad in the DMN sports page stating that we needed a "name coach, not a no name coach", and if you agreed you could call Jitter Nolan. We provided both his home and office phone number, and signed the article Concerned Alumni For Athletics.As a result, North Texas decided to hire an athletic director first, which so angered coach Brasher that he withdrew his name from consideration and went to Iowa with coach Fry. The DMN then wrote a long article about "these guys aren't kidding. They have a lot of money, and are talking about hiring Ara Parsegan[sic] form Notre Dame." In fact it was just me,$500,  and another dumb friend who did not did not think our actions thru.I ran my own business for 30 years and have done my share of terminating employees. However, to this day I still feel embarrassed and ashamed for what I did nearly 40 years ago. I have never shared this story  with anyone other that a few close friends, but thought it might make those hell bent of flying this banner stop and give pause.

You do know that is not why a coach would leave. I know there were some serious problems as Fry left with support from the University itself.  Besides what coach kind of coach would get rattled from a private ad in the paper? A coach has to have a thicker skin than that. 

Wardly: I appreciate you telling that story, but were you wrong to be fighting for a big-name hire in a push to get UNT into the Southwest Conference in 1979? History has shown that was a big inflection point for this program. We didn't get in, Jerry Moore left us after two years for Texas Tech, our leaders dropped us to I-AA and we're still paying a price three decades later.

The story I heard on Brasher was that he dropped out of the running because we insisted that he interview for the job like all the other candidates.

I'm sure explaining that would have required more space than they had.

I would have preferred not to comment at all, but the negative perception of "no comment" worried me.

If any of the other contributors want to comment, PM me and I'll forward the info along and see if he is interested in talking to you.

Your words were spot on in the article. thanks for speaking up!!