MGB: Today's DRC editorial on the state of UNT athletics

Brett Vito

I here you, but with each graduating class you get a few more hardcore fans. Growth occurs just slowly. I'd love to be a "football school". I'd also like to see a new face in RV's comfy chair. My point is we aren't there yet, and at this point it's probably going to take a new coach some time to get acclimated. If you aren't ready to be a die-hard this isn't the place for you AT THE MOMENT. If you want decades of success just hop over to Alabama and they will take care of you. Your disappointing seasons will be 2 losses. The culture is changing in my short window of being here, but the only head coaches i've known are Dodge and McCarney. I'm also a cubs fan, so maybe i've adapted to being a little more patient. I've been here about the same window of time as Munthe, so I don't get what the tantrum is about. Changes are being made now, more need to be made, but quitting being a fan isn't going to change any of that.

Withdrawing monetary support is the only way to affect change. It's the only thing that gets noticed. 

The Cubs try to win. This program rarely has put forth an honest effort to be successful. Huge difference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

They won a Stanley Cup in the late 90s and have done what since then? Go nearly 6 years without a playoff berth? In the NHL nonetheless where playoff berths are pretty much participation?

Yes they won in 99 and lost it in 00 but they were a playoff team in I believe all but 1 maybe 2 seasons from 93 until 2008 when they made that run to the WCF.  The wheels fell off after that organizationally but a few things happened, the team wasn't drafting and scouting well and Tom Hicks failed to spend enough money to get good players in here.  If I recall they would always be a decent amount of money under the salary cap and that's just unacceptable considering Dallas is a top 4 or 5 market.

They got relevant a few years ago although they're still not there quite yet but comparing the Stars to the Texans, Browns etc is rather silly.

• Upvote 1

I love the Stars. And you're delusional if you think they aren't nothing but a massive failure over the last coming-up-on-20-years. They're no different than any of the teams mentioned. Guess what? I like the Mavs, and they're not a failure like the teams above. The Stars have been nothing but disappointment from 2000-Present. This delusion is why DFW and to a larger extent Texas sports are ridiculed in places where teams actually win, like Boston or Pittsburgh or New York.

Yup, and I still feel that way. The only good part of DFW is Denton and Fort Worth inside 820. Guess what? I did move back. And Bob McNair brought football back to Houston so I really couldn't give less of a damn how close to you think he acts to RV when you have an owner who treats his franchise like he's running WalMart.

As always, when we can't actually discuss the problem we get personal.

Probably the dumbest thing ever said.

• Upvote 4

I love the Stars. And you're delusional if you think they aren't nothing but a massive failure over the last coming-up-on-20-years.

Your math is off when you call it nearly 20 years. They won a Stanley Cup in 1999, went to another in 2000, won their division in 2001, 2003 and 2005 and were in the playoffs from 1997 to 2008 except for 2001. None of that is massive failure.

The Stars have been a massive failure for around 8 years. As a big fan I'm hoping this is the year that finally changes.

Nobody cares if you don't win the last game of the year. My sports motto.

So you either win it all or it's a massive failure?

I don't know how you could have that policy and root for teams in Houston. It's like hanging out at Walmart to meet skinny women.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 3

Nobody cares about what you are this year if you don't win the last game. Sorry, had to amend it. The Patriots rule the NFL until they get dethroned in the Super Bowl. So on and so forth. My favorite quote from Moneyball.

A quote from a guy who has never won the last game of the year.

Interesting.

• Upvote 3

I love the Stars. And you're delusional if you think they aren't nothing but a massive failure over the last coming-up-on-20-years. They're no different than any of the teams mentioned. Guess what? I like the Mavs, and they're not a failure like the teams above. The Stars have been nothing but disappointment from 2000-Present. This delusion is why DFW and to a larger extent Texas sports are ridiculed in places where teams actually win, like Boston or Pittsburgh or New York.

Yup, and I still feel that way. The only good part of DFW is Denton and Fort Worth inside 820. Guess what? I did move back. And Bob McNair brought football back to Houston so I really couldn't give less of a damn how close to you think he acts to RV when you have an owner who treats his franchise like he's running WalMart.

As always, when we can't actually discuss the problem we get personal.

Was talking about the Texans GM not owner.  Rick Smith is their RV and McNair allows the losing to continue.  I would take JJ over McNair as an owner any day.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I guess we see just how much sway the DRC has on the UNT 17 and the UNT leadership...

Best editorial ever about UNT Sports in any DFW media, as well as the most up-voted post in GMG.com history.

And it didn't even matter one iota...ladies and gents, your UNT 17 Mean Green!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2