Interesting Tweet

MeanGreenHoops

This from DFW area HS coach.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I really like Dan McCarney &amp; loved hearing him speak but whoever gets NT job would b wise 2 recruit metroplex more &amp; be relational w coaches</p>&mdash; Randy Jackson (@CoachJacksonTPW) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachJacksonTPW/status/653261074356039680">October 11, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oops sorry, don't know how to embed tweet on here. Basically says it would be good to create relationship with local coaches implying DMac did not.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 2

I was amazed when I read the post about the number of Texas kids on the Iowa roster and decided to see where they came from. As I recall, eight of them were less than an hour's drive from Denton and most were less than that. Now we ain't Iowa, but there must be a ton of talent just in Denton and Collin counties.

• Upvote 1

Yall do know who is in charge of recruiting metroplex right?? Chico, hasn't been by more than once each year I've been in The Colony. We sent several kids to Navy and UNT never even sniffed. Bah humbug. 

• Upvote 4

Yall do know who is in charge of recruiting metroplex right?? Chico, hasn't been by more than once each year I've been in The Colony. We sent several kids to Navy and UNT never even sniffed. Bah humbug. 

Didn't realize this. Noted for future reference! :wow:

Yes....those of us who have been paying attention do.  It's been a joke.   We sent a congratulatory letter to a kid that had died last year for crying out loud.  

Rick

I was amazed when I read the post about the number of Texas kids on the Iowa roster and decided to see where they came from. As I recall, eight of them were less than an hour's drive from Denton and most were less than that. Now we ain't Iowa, but there must be a ton of talent just in Denton and Collin counties.

Maybe Mac was doing some scouting and recruiting for his boy Ferentz.

Yes....those of us who have been paying attention do.  It's been a joke.   We sent a congratulatory letter to a kid that had died last year for crying out loud.  

Rick

wow, that is appalling

From afar, it seems like a lot of local coaches get mad when UNT doesn't continue to beg them for scraps when the local kids continually shun UNT and the coaches clearly are not steering kids our way over other G5 opportunities.

When a salesperson continually gets the cold shoulder from a customer they eventually stop calling on them.  It is a two way street.

"Hey coach!  Yeah, we got a player for you!  What's that? You want to talk to my 3* guy instead?  No, he's not interested in UNT.  He has some offers from some MWC schools and Arkansas is sniffing around.  He's above your school.    Why don't you talk to my guy that's not rated?  I really think he's going to eventually get some offers (from SFA & Lamar), so you better offer him now!"

• Upvote 1

I believe one problem is that a local high school coach may realize that he doesn't have players ready for aTm or Oklahoma, so when those schools pass on them they likely understand.  But, the coach likely believes he has a team full of players ready for a team like North Texas.  When we aren't interested, they are offended.  I am sure that happens often. 

• Upvote 3

We should be recruiting FLORIDA....lots of talent there and, for the most part, the historical negative stigma of UNT doesn't exist with the players and coaches.  Some kids get all amped up at the idea of being recruited to an out-of-state school and the idea of going to play football in Texas (even though it's North Texas) still has a lot of cache.  

To further your point, I heard similar things about Steele, the Cibolo powerhouse. I have heard Chico didn't stop through a few times when in the area.

As a caveat, I will say that I offered possible explanations for this -- he may have already been there, had a guy go to the school, couldn't because of time constraints, or some other plausible good reason. Also, its not like we don't know about the school -- we have guys on the roster from there. Still,  a few folks have pointed out that we don't do the best job on the trail.