Accountability

texmusic

3 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

Doesn't matter. RV brown noses the only 15 donors he has cultivated in15 years and bullshits them about a grand vision that doesn't exist.

Fixed

I know it is true but these guys are holding us back, and god almighty it shows how freaking small minded we are. Yet we are such a large University something like the top 20 with a D1a football team we should be in the top 25 regularly 

Edited by KingDL1

Well, I think it's credible that Canales will be gone after this season.  Which at least should give us the opportunity to see whether it makes any difference.

We may test your theory but I really don't think Canales is the real problem. My Dad used to tell me that a fish rots from the head.

IMO, Canales is a symptom...the cause is likely a couple of levels higher.

• Upvote 2

I do not care how much this costs the University!!! Someone needs to be held accountable for this season.  

Disaster!

If we were any good at accounting, we wouldn't have been off by $23 million when we checked our own books. 

Now that we finally spent some money to improve our account ability? Maybe... MAYBE, there can be accountability. 

EDIT: Whoops! Thought that number seemed small... Make it $75 million

Could be worse... We could be Sam Houston State

Edited by TheTastyGreek

I am still shell-shocked about that dude who got the job at Sam Houston State!   Yikes.

Look we have to be strategic here.  I would fire Mac right now and have Canales take over immediately.  Watch another run ensue and then make him compete for the gig full time.  Meanwhile we work to lure The Pirate back to Texas.  We need a complete change and being in the best recruiting bed in Texas, he certainly won't have to go to Iowa to get a quarterback and receivers.  

We need to get our arse in gear to compete with the local programs.

GMG

P.S. - You fire Mac before Benford because this is Texas.  It's like that post from earlier - you know the intensity you are stepping into in this State in this sport.  Bring it or get out of the kitchen.

• Upvote 1

That's all great, but we all know Mac has 5 years on his deal right? And I think our AD has a similar deal. You can't buy out both, or any of them really. But nobody wants RV to hire the next guy. I think Dan might make a decent AD considering what we could get, and we only have to buy off 1 guy instead of 2. 

I am still shell-shocked about that dude who got the job at Sam Houston State!   Yikes.

Look we have to be strategic here.  I would fire Mac right now and have Canales take over immediately.  Watch another run ensue and then make him compete for the gig full time.  Meanwhile we work to lure The Pirate back to Texas.  We need a complete change and being in the best recruiting bed in Texas, he certainly won't have to go to Iowa to get a quarterback and receivers.  

We need to get our arse in gear to compete with the local programs.

GMG

P.S. - You fire Mac before Benford because this is Texas.  It's like that post from earlier - you know the intensity you are stepping into in this State in this sport.  Bring it or get out of the kitchen.

Leach would have been great 5 years ago I am not sure he is the guy any more. Canales is the absolute worst choice. But we need to get rid of RV first or he be part of the hiring process and that is just plain bad. 

That's all great, but we all know Mac has 5 years on his deal right? And I think our AD has a similar deal. You can't buy out both, or any of them really. But nobody wants RV to hire the next guy. I think Dan might make a decent AD considering what we could get, and we only have to buy off 1 guy instead of 2. 

We can cover the cost is what I have been told, money is not really the issue more of an excuse. I agree RV needs to go first, but no to Dan as a AD

Leach would have been great 5 years ago I am not sure he is the guy any more. Canales is the absolute worst choice. But we need to get rid of RV first or he be part of the hiring process and that is just plain bad. 

Leach, absolutely wasn't coming here 5 years ago. We didn't have the $. Still don't, really, even if we didn't have to pay off Dan. Hell, WSU can't afford the Leach buyout right now. Leach is still a dream. A dream I would fully endorse. But not likely. We can't eat 2 contracts, so fire RV and move dan to AD. 

Edited by James329

Leach, absolutely wasn't coming here 5 years ago. We didn't have the $. Still don't, really, even if we didn't have to pay off Dan. Hell, WSU can't afford the Leach buyout right now. Leach is still a dream. A dream I would fully endorse. But not likely. We can't eat 2 contracts, so fire RV and move dan to AD. 

Do you know something I don't about money available? 

Really? Benford or any other coaching situation should make that clear. We can't Schedule correctly because of money. We sure as hell cant buy out 5 years of the most expensive coaching contract we've ever had.

That is a hell of a reach,  RV is just an idiot that wants to prove he made good choices but has not.  

Edited by KingDL1

That is a hell of a reach,  RV is just an idiot that wants to prove he made good choices but has not.  

How is that a reach sir? You aren't new here. I too, do not buy RVs money excuse for his poor scheduling. I might be the biggest schedule hater on the board. Look at my posts. But as far as having money to buy out Mac, it will take a donor with deep pockets who wants to pay for him to go away for that to happen. My hope would be for Smatresk to get involved, fire RV move Mac to AD and have help from a firm to hire a head coach. That way the university absolves some of that money and we can afford a decent coach. Outside of an angry donor paying for it we can't do it. 

How is that a reach sir? You aren't new here. I too, do not buy RVs money excuse for his poor scheduling. I might be the biggest schedule hater on the board. Look at my posts. But as far as having money to buy out Mac, it will take a donor with deep pockets who wants to pay for him to go away for that to happen. My hope would be for Smatresk to get involved, fire RV move Mac to AD and have help from a firm to hire a head coach. That way the university absolves some of that money and we can afford a decent coach. Outside of an angry donor paying for it we can't do it. 

What makes you think we are that poor? I been told otherwise by those I think should know,  but I do not know the money situation or how it has changed that has changed from donors, total ticket sales, body bag games, student fees, money for renting the stadium out, renting rooms out, vendor sales, money from C-USA and more, and any endowments we have. 

What makes you think we are that poor? I been told otherwise by those I think should know,  but I do not know the money situation or how it has changed that has changed from donors, total ticket sales, body bag games, student fees, money for renting the stadium out, renting rooms out, vendor sales, money from C-USA and more, and any endowments we have. 

I'm assuming you are of the money giving ilk. The amount that matters anyway. Sadly, with all the things you listed, it's not enough. Let's do this:

Donors: we have recieved money, but it is for projects like improving facilities that are only 10 years old, like the athletics offices, locker room, and meeting rooms.

Ticket Sales: they are garbage. Less than 5k season tickets if I recall, and I'm one of those idiots. No money coming from that.

Body Bag games: still necessary - see above - mainly pays for the non revenue sports. Unless we pay almost half of that for an fcs, see previous rants.

Student Fees: middle of CUSA in this area, at best.

Renting Stadium? When? HS games? July 4? That's it, so bacsciallt $0.

Vendor - break even

CUSA - while they earned near the top of the G5 the total was like $15 mil split 12 ways. So...meh.

So if you have any other $ ideas I'm sure they need it.

They do sell lots of game day tickets as well you know. They rent out the club level quite a bit for events also. It is tons more than they had before 

Stadium renting is not zero but you seem set  to be broke so just say you got me. I must have been told wrong, we couldn't fund a lemonade stand.

RV is 300k  a year. Macs base is what 600k or just under. Its not a mountain.

Canales contract is out this year.

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe in FBS over at least the last 20 years, maybe longer, that only one FBS head coach has gone winless in a season (who was not at a program making their debut season in the FBS ranks) and kept their job and that was Phil Bennett at SMU when he went 0-12 in his second season. Despite all the talk about his contract, the AD, I still cannot see UNT keeping a head coach who goes 0-12 in his fifth season. Make no mistake, this team has one shot at avoiding that, and that's against Portland State, who based on results so far, would beat the Mean Green by 20 points.

McCarney will be gone if he goes winless and in all likelihood, our AD will announce McCarney's retirement. Now that still leaves us with an AD who'd be hiring the next head coach which is just as much of a problem.  This team needs either an upstart from the FCS or a coordinator from a BCS conference school. Frankly, I'd like to see UNt go after someone like Sonny Cumbie at TCU or Kendal Briles at Baylor.

I still don't think McCarney goes away at 0-12 unless an old buddy or someone offers him a coordinator job in Iowa or in some place where he seriously wants to be. Barring unforeseen events, he's too proud (and smart) to just give up and walk off into the sunset leaving millions on his contract unless he's REALLY unhappy here. I just can't see us buying him out any time soon either regardless of our record.

We're in a serious bind here, and the only way out of that bind is for McCarney to suddenly have a coaching epiphany, or for him to have a very good reason to walk away such as health, family, or that dream coordinator position. At least that's how I see it.