UNT Fan

GreenTexan13

I grew up in Ft. Worth, so I watched a TCU-North Texas State game at Amon Carter one day in 1984. TCU killed us, but next year we got our revenge and beat them. UNT never even registered with me until I went to the Homecoming Game in 1990 as an invited guest of the athletic department. I got a scholarship offer to be a student manager starting in 1991, just as Dennis Parker got hired. I worked my tail off for 5 football seasons at that place--seriously, the hours you spend up there getting everything ready for practices and games during the season easily tops 60 hours, probably more. I graduated in December of 1995, as we moved up to Division 1-A again, feeling like we would be a rising up-and-comer, especially after beating tech in 1997 in Lubbock and giving a game to the Aggies at Texas Stadium the next week. Then the wheels fell off from October of 1997 until October of 2001. Almost miraculously, Dickey pulled the team out of a gigantic funk and started pounding the SBC schools for the next 4 years. But after 2004, the wheels fell off and the entire chassis just blew up. I thought that with 2013s momentum, that we had restored the car, but it looks like the engine died again and we won't try and buy a new car, just keep hoping the oil leaks and transmission issues won't keep us from having to buy that new car until 2017.

Since 1990, I've only known North Texas to treat athletics one way--whether you call it cheap, value-oriented, broke, or frugal, its all been the same. But its never been committed to winning. 25 years is a long time to watch your alma mater, no matter if they've been I-aa in the Southland, an independent in I-A, in the Big West, in the Sun Belt, or in CUSA, enjoy all of 5 winning seasons, 2 of which ended with bowl victories. I am not sure how much more energy I've got left--which just amazes me about the few fans who have stuck with us since the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. Talk about not following the crowd--especially if you graduated in the 70s or 80s and watched the university basically crush the program into I-aa oblivion for a dozen years. We gripe about having about 2% of the fanbase coming from alumni since RV has been AD--imagine how few are fans from the alumni that graduated between 1979 -1995? It cannot exceed 1%, maybe not even .5%.

• Upvote 3

I grew up a diehard Texas fan (born and indoctrinated in Austin), but always heard my grandfather yelling about North Texas State games (he refused to change the name of the university in his head.) Came to a junior year preview night during the last season in fouts. I believe I remember seeing them get destroyed by Troy then. For some reason I got a kick out of the "Time to lock the gate" rap and monicor  (attracted my inner white suburban character). Anyways since that year I was just hooked and never let go. Not sure how or when I stumbled across this message board, but it's been a blast. 

I'll be graduating this spring and hope to contribute all I can to this wonderful university, even with RV in charge. The man's sweater vest will live on forever. 

Edited by James
  • Upvote 2

I transferred in as a junior in 1993.  I previously attended a school with no intermural athletics (only intramurals), so I was pretty excited to be at a school with a football team.  The first game was at Nebraska, and ended up 76-14--not a promising start to my fandom, and the year overall wasn't great.  But Mitch Maher was exciting to watch, and they performed well in a few games.  The 1994 season was a great season, and sealed my fandom for life if there was previously any question about it.

• Upvote 2

Fan since 1986.

Witnessed the Robbery in Austin.

Went crazy at the Miracle in the Desert.

Got glassy eyed at the Loophole or Ellingtons whichever is was when we beat Idaho for our first Bowl Berth.

Witnessed two Texas Tech victories in Lubbock and a gut-wrenching fumble loss in the closing minutes.

Went to all 5 Bowl games we have been in this decade.

Went to most games home and away in 2013 - saw us wipe La Tech, Southern Miss, UTEP and Rice that season (The Stand in person) what a RIDE!

Flew in from Sydney last Thursday and out to Hong Kong this Monday all in the name of The Mean Green Experience family and friends.

Runs deep.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I've been a fan since my Freshman year - 1983. The year Corky kicked the tail light on the ambulance in the snow in Reno. 

Same exact year for me.    I remember listening to the Nevada-Reno OT game on the radio.   So close.

If I am not mistaken.   That was the last year of football for UT Arlington.  We crushed them at Fouts.

Edited by akriesman

First game was 9/3/88 vs. Texas Tech in Lubbock.  I was rooting for the wrong team at the time, but the Eagles won in exciting fashion.  Subliminal message received and I ended up in Denton a few years later. 

Hell of a game right there folks.  Hell of a game and a hell of a team.  

That team and coaching staff had the mentality they could play with anyone in the country.  Them, SFA and ULM ...all of the Southland at the time...were three teams that could bring it back then.  

Rick

• Upvote 2

I first became a fan of North Texas back in 1997, after watching the Eagles beat Texas Tech on Fox Sports Southwest. I followed the team every season after that, until I went to Denton in 2003. I have been attending home games ever since. I became a season ticket holder in 2011 when we opened Apogee.

While in eighth grade in Lubbock, where we lived 1956-1959, I went to my first college game - Oregon State at Tech. (Remembering the opponent, I looked it up - the date was 9-26-59.) We moved to Richardson a couple of months later, so I think it was 1960 that Tom Harpool invited my dad and me to a game at Fouts. I would have been in 9th grade. I cannot remember who we played.

As a 5-year student, I went to EVERY home game from my freshman year 1964 through 1968 season. Each of my last three years, 1966 through 1968 season, I also went to one game out of town - to Tulsa, Memphis, and Little Rock (vs Arkansas).

Living in Dallas and later Richardson after graduation, I lost interest as the team went down to the lower level; but did take in a game or two at Texas Stadium. I was a Dallas Cowboy season ticket holder from 1971 (1st year in Texas Stadium) through 1989, but refused to buy tickets after Jones bought the club.

When my company relocated from Dallas County to Lewisville, we bought a home in Flower Mound (12-30-05) to avoid 26 miles each way on LBJ. That gave us easier access to Denton, and we became football season ticket holders by 2008. We have continued that since. I attend every home game, except the October game last year on the same day my niece got married in Houston.

Like most on this board, I am frustrated with the lack of BOR commitment to field winning teams in the major sports, but am proud of the academic goals and achievements of our athletes. That keeps me motivated  through those down seasons, but I wish we could develop a winning tradition such as I experienced from 1966 through 1968.

• Upvote 3

I transferred to UNT in 1994 to play men's soccer. Program was cancelled 2 days after arriving in Denton. Nevertheless the 1994 season was magical. I was hooked thereafter. However being a UNT football fan in masochism at its purest! 

• Upvote 1