Timeline: Get your tinfoil out.

Cr1028

The timeline is compelling. Really.

The one thing I question is how often coaches evaluate talent for months, only to make a decision most likely to sabotage their career, to go with the guy most likely to lose. One could argue it seems to happen regularly at lil 'ol North Texas. Maybe we just hire guys that don't have their best interest in mind. Or guys that read message boards and make bad decisions just to spite us.

And if either is the case, maybe we also just hire AD's that hire guys that do those things.

GMG

• Upvote 2

As much as I am just completely horse whipped by the state of the program you will never catch me claiming McCarney nepotism. No on and I mean NO ONE would tarnish a legacy (what there is of one) or jeopardize their high paying job for the sake of their buddies son. Hell he was the third choice last year and sadly looked the best.  

McCarney is not a good recruiter.

McCarney is not a offensive mind.

McCarney is someone that wants to keep his job and retire as a winning coach.  I'm just not sure he can. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

September 19 2015 - DaMarcus "Willie Beamen" Smith is thrust into the starting QB role of the 4th quarter and leads UNT football to CUSA dominance the next 2 seasons. Overall program perception and recruiting increases and within 10 years, UNT is invited to become a member of the Big 12 conference. Well. A guy can dream right? 

• Upvote 1

Could it be possible, not asking if it is probable just possible that a man would take a job he didn't necessarily need or want but wasn't entirely opposed to in order for his best friend of 40 years son could live out his dream? Is there any possibility at all that McCarney would've left his $330k per year position coach job to allow his best friend's son to live out his dream? Is it at all possible? He was 58, winning national championships at Florida, and  Urban Meyer hadn't announced he was leaving yet. I don't think it is likely but with all the coincidences, I wonder if it is possible.

No.

• Upvote 1

We're playing with a piranha on this subject matter, my friend, but I'm right there with you. I've always been in the camp of a certain QB not getting any FBS offers had it not been for a certain HC getting the job in Denton. Of course, I'm sure at the time this particular coach thought it wouldn't be an issue as he would be able to recruit "better" QB's, thus burying his friends kid into the depth chart of obscurity. Funny how bad decisions can turn around and bite you in the gluteus maximus. 

• Upvote 2

September 19 2015 - DaMarcus "Willie Beamen" Smith is thrust into the starting QB role of the 4th quarter and leads UNT football to CUSA dominance the next 2 seasons. Overall program perception and recruiting increases and within 10 years, UNT is invited to become a member of the Big 12 conference. Well. A guy can dream right? 

This tweet is vey interesting. I'm not sure if he is insinuating he is getting QB1 reps or if he is (rightfully) making fun of Andrew McNulty. Interesting, nevertheless. 

• Upvote 2

What if Smith is third string because he sucks? These coaches want to win, they like their jobs. If he was good he would be playing right now. Last year they skipped over Lil Mac twice. He may be the only choice. Think about that. It might just be the truth. Believe me I want to be wrong but I might be right.

Edited by North Texas Shep

What if Smith is third string because he sucks? These coaches want to win, they like there jobs. If he was good he would be playing right now. Last year they skipped over Lil Mac twice. He may be the only choice. Think about that. It might just be the truth. Believe me I want to be wrong but I might be right.

I feel your pain.  So pessimistic that I'm ecstatic when proven wrong.  Although a conspiracy theory would be much more comforting than "what if this is as good as it gets"?

What if Smith is third string because he sucks? These coaches want to win, they like their jobs. If he was good he would be playing right now. Last year they skipped over Lil Mac twice. He may be the only choice. Think about that. It might just be the truth. Believe me I want to be wrong but I might be right.

Smith is 3rd string because he is behind the others in learning the offense according the head coach. Sometimes you have to let a gamer go out there and improvise. Mac doesn't like improvisation which is why Berglund and Williams were run out of the program. My guess is that Mac fears this with Smith as well. UT was in a very similar situation and now Jay Norvell and Jerrod Heard are running the offense instead of Shawn Watson and Tyrone Swoopes. Heard brings excitement that Swoopes never brought despite his mastery of the playbook vernacular.

• Upvote 4