What is up with our back up QB's?

Harry

So we are clearly out of the game at SMU and we don't even put Greer in for a couple of snaps?  Is there not anything to be gained by evaluating some other guys?

We know DaMarcus is way down the bench but what about Means?  Is this another season like 2013 where we never get another guy snaps so we are up shit creek in 2014?  I sure hope not.

So we are clearly out of the game at SMU and we don't even put Greer in for a couple of snaps?  Is there not anything to be gained by evaluating some other guys?

We know DaMarcus is way down the bench but what about Means?  Is this another season like 2013 where we never get another guy snaps so we are up shit creek in 2014?  I sure hope not.

Another guy will get snaps. McNulty cant survive the hits he will take from the poor pass protection.

But the plan is to not allow any other QB to hit the field. This staff is prepared to stick with him for better or worse.

There is something that smells about our quarterback situation...there is just something going on that we do not know.  Most programs go to plan B when plan A fails, but not us, apparently.

According to Mac plan A. McNulty has not failed. He expects, believes, and guarantees, McNulty will play better against Rice.

Another guy will get snaps. McNulty cant survive the hits he will take from the poor pass protection.

But the plan is to not allow any other QB to hit the field. This staff is prepared to stick with him for better or worse.

A very big reason why Dan McCarney needs to be shown the door. BOR!!! YOU HEAR ME!! Cut ties before we officially get Mcarnied. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is the playcalling awful because the QB is bad or is the QB so bad the play book is limited?

Chicken or the egg.

Either way we get screwed so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Sorry for the negativity. I am still somewhere in the 5 stages of grief after the loss....

• Upvote 1

The zone read only works if your quarterback is a threat to keep the ball. No quarterback other than #5 will see the field this season(especially not until after Iowa) because the head coach is determined to prove that recruiting, coaching, and playing #5 as a FBS starter was not a mistake and he will let the program burn before he admits he was wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

you're exactly right...the zone read w/o a running qb is trash if the qb doesn't run.  The chargers get away with it because Rivers is an incredible passer who is 6'5".  A 6' qb w/ no wheels and the inability to run or see over the line in a messy pocket is going to guess, throw late, and throw poorly timed passes/interceptions!!!!!

• Upvote 2

you're exactly right...the zone read w/o a running qb is trash if the qb doesn't run.  The chargers get away with it because Rivers is an incredible passer who is 6'5".  A 6' qb w/ no wheels and the inability to run or see over the line in a messy pocket is going to guess, throw late, and throw poorly timed passes/interceptions!!!!!

Dont confuse zone read with a straight hand off that is meant to look like a zone read.

• Upvote 1

I unfortunately think you are right, but again -- we clearly could have used a change of pace and McNulty was getting beat up.. if they truly want to keep him in all season why leave him out there when the game is clearly over?  McNulty is a 6th year senior.  We need to get some younger guys reps.

Edited by Harry

I unfortunately think you are right, but again -- we clearly could have used a change of pace and McNulty was getting beat up.. if they truly want to keep him in all season why leave him out there when the game is clearly over?  McNulty is a 6th year senior.  We need to get some younger guys reps.

Man @Harry  I've lost all faith at this point with the staff on how to handle the QB situation. There really is no explanation to what or why they do what they do.

The best thing I can come up with is trying to get McNulty more snaps and get the offense in rhythm. That was only his 8th start. Maybe they were trying to build momentum into the Rice game with a late drive. Maybe they were trying to avoid a QB controversy. Maybe they just dont care. Maybe they are just to damn stubborn. Maybe they honestly feel that they are doing the right thing and we all have no clue. 

• Upvote 4

Man @Harry  I've lost all faith at this point with the staff on how to handle the QB situation. There really is no explanation to what or why they do what they do.

The best thing I can come up with is trying to get McNulty more snaps and get the offense in rhythm. That was only his 8th start. Maybe they were trying to build momentum into the Rice game with a late drive. Maybe they were trying to avoid a QB controversy. Maybe they just dont care. Maybe they are just to damn stubborn. Maybe they honestly feel that they are doing the right thing and we all have no clue. 

Dangit @Harry!  Where are my +1's??   This man is going to go without a +1 for his excellency.

• Upvote 2

Lil Mac could not read the defense to save his life. He looked horrible from the start. The problem was the score. We were so close for too long. Regardless, I would have pulled him at half and gave someone else a shot. The coaches better be on his ass all week making sure it does not happen again.

• Upvote 1

Lil Mac could not read the defense to save his life. He looked horrible from the start. The problem was the score. We were so close for too long. Regardless, I would have pulled him at half and gave someone else a shot. The coaches better be on his ass all week making sure it does not happen again.

This depends on what kind of dad McCarney is.

• Upvote 1

If that really is the problem (and I agree with you that it looks like he as a problem reading the defense with the caveat of "once the ball is snapped"), how is getting on his @ss going to to help him gain the ability to suddenly read defenses??  I know extra film and reps can help, but the kid has been here for 5 years.  If he can't do it by now....

• Upvote 1

If that really is the problem (and I agree with you that it looks like he as a problem reading the defense with the caveat of "once the ball is snapped"), how is getting on his @ss going to to help him gain the ability to suddenly read defenses??  I know extra film and reps can help, but the kid has been here for 5 years.  If he can't do it by now....

If it was fear, then they need to let him know to calm down and do his job. He looked scared out there. Too much over thinking. I could be wrong, but either way if he is sucking during the Rice games the change must be made.

• Upvote 2

According to Mac plan A. McNulty has not failed. He expects, believes, and guarantees, McNulty will play better against Rice.

He threw two interceptions and fumbled the ball, luckily he recovered his own fumble. What has McNulty succeeded at in terms of McCarney's philosophy? That philosophy of not turning the ball over

I absolutely believe Mac when he guarantees AM will play better because 16-34 128yds & 2 interceptions is not a performance that requires a whole helluva lot to surpass.

• Upvote 2

Mac is going to ride that horse until it dies, apparently