Attendance graph for each UNT home game of the 2011-12-13-14 seasons

Harry

810px-Apogee_Stadium_attendance_2011%E2%

I found this nifty graph on wiki.  Couple of key notes to consider.  Hindsight is of course 20/20.  For our opener against Houston in 2011, we actually played FIU on the road prior to that game and lost 41-16.  In hindsight that was a really bad game.  We might not have sold out the stadium but losing in  the first game in that manner did not help us.  You should open the stadium as your first game imho.

3rd game huge drop in 2011, you guessed it we had FAU at home.  Of course FAU brought nothing and we were 1-5.  Who in C-USA has been dealt more home games with the Florida schools than UNT at this point?

Next big attendance game after Houston is UTEP in 2013.  In-state opponent who has decent fan following.  An example of  how C-USA pays dividends when we are playing Texas schools.

As you might expect, many of the lower attendance numbers come from weekday games which we are required to play for television.

I could go on with some other trends here, for instance weather.  The UTSA game in 2013 could have been one of our best attended games if we hadn't had such nasty cold weather that day.   I would be interested in some other perspectives. 

My point is, there is data on what is driving our attendance numbers and if we were to analyze this and use it for future scheduling it could help.  We need to learn from our history and try not to repeat the same mistakes.  C-USA should work with us on this, and we should provide data to support our requests.  I'm a believer in data driven decision making and this should apply to our schedule philosophy.  GMG

Edited by Harry

• Harry featured this topic

Yeah, you start out your season with a big loss to a team that 90% of the fan base never heard of, and you're fighting an uphill attendance battle the rest of the season.

Oh wait! This is North Texas, so that would be a steeper uphill attendance battle.

We better win big over SMU or that Rice game is going to be a real hard sell. Especially since it's going to be 1:30 in the afternoon. Last year it was 88 on the 19th. Even if it's that same temperature, with a game starting at 1:30, most of the fans are going to be in the sun for most of the game. It's going to be brutal and only friends, family and the most loyal of MG fans will endure that kind of punishment.

And on a related matter. If we are going to schedule games where the fans are exposed to the sun for at least 1/2 of the game, why don't they sell hats like this......http://fitzdirect.com/Dallas-Cowboys-Straw-Training-Camp-Hat-New-Era-OSFA-9112-Cowboys-Straw.htm   or this (my favorite)...

• LogoFit Tournament Straw Hat

addendum:  You take this white straw gamblers hat, with a green hat band with an Alumni NT-star on it, and that would be a great hat. 

Edited by SilverEagle

The lowest-attended 2013 game--Ball State on 9/14--was a real head scratcher for me.  I looked forward to that game more than any other on the schedule that year except Rice, and IMO, it was the most exciting game played at Apogee that year.  I have seldom seen so many big hits from the UNT defense, and I mean EVER.  They physically whipped Ball State, and I just wish that there had been more people there to see it.  I believe the heat really put a damper on attendance.  It sure made the Cardinals finally quit.

I think the 3pm start time was a killer.  And these are the lessons you learn.  I think it is quite clear that our best game time is 6PM on Saturday.  When you venture away from that you pay the price attendance wise.  Weekdays and weather hurts as well.  I also think the Florida school home games have an impact and really anyone from the East with the possible exception of say Marshall.

I realize that some of these things are out of our control but you need to control the things you can to help bolster the attendance.

I have no issue with early start times for FSN or FS1. What's flooring me this season is that our early start times as a conference are for FCS (Fox College Sports). A channel almost no one has ever heard of, let alone watches. Whether Fox controls our start times, or we're accommodating them, it's negatively affecting the gameday experience to be on a network that invokes "if a tree falls in the woods..." 

• Upvote 3

Bottom line.... Winning seasons bring better attendance, Yes there is other factors that play a role in preventing people from coming inside the stadium, but there is no denying that we see better attendance when we have winning years.

A lot of these die hard fans on GMG forums will go in rain, snow, or baking sun. But to get the casual fan in the stadium, we need to be pulling more W's onto our win/loss column,

• Upvote 2

I get that we want to get games on National TV but playing on Thursdays? Halloween? I am way to old to go trick or treating but I have a kid that does. This drags the majority of your Mean Green Club Booster away. Then you have the college kids that would much rather be at some Halloween party or bar getting drunk in a costume.

Then on a Normal Thursday, everyone of the Mean Green Club members (Boosters) that live out of Denton trying to make a 7 or 6:30 kick off is almost impossible with traffic and getting off work.

Im all for publicity but sometimes buts in the seats are more important than TV time IMO

• Upvote 2

I get that we want to get games on National TV but playing on Thursdays? Halloween? I am way to old to go trick or treating but I have a kid that does. This drags the majority of your Mean Green Club Booster away. Then you have the college kids that would much rather be at some Halloween party or bar getting drunk in a costume.

I know regular Thursday night games may be difficult for out-of-towners, but if UNT can do a good job of making an event of the Halloween game, it could attract a lot of people. Ie, some kind of trick or treating event for kids, haunted house on the lawn, music, costume contest, etc etc.

Edit: Aw crap forgot this year it's a Saturday game! It will be interesting to compare attendance from Halloween 2013 vs this year.

• Upvote 3

I know regular Thursday night games may be difficult for out-of-towners, but if UNT can do a good job of making an event of the Halloween game, it could attract a lot of people. Ie, some kind of trick or treating event for kids, haunted house on the lawn, music, costume contest, etc etc.

Edit: Aw crap forgot this year it's a Saturday game! It will be interesting to compare attendance from Halloween 2013 vs this year.

I completely agree with you but the first step is actually making a step.

EDIT: After typing this, didnt they do something for the last Halloween game underneath the North Wing of the stadium?

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 1

I think the 3pm start time was a killer.  And these are the lessons you learn.  I think it is quite clear that our best game time is 6PM on Saturday.  When you venture away from that you pay the price attendance wise.  Weekdays and weather hurts as well.  I also think the Florida school home games have an impact and really anyone from the East with the possible exception of say Marshall.

I realize that some of these things are out of our control but you need to control the things you can to help bolster the attendance.

1:30 for the Rice game will be a killer too. Plus it will really hurt tailgating. Some might say that there could be celebratory tailgating after the game, but most people are done by game time.

• Upvote 1

The lowest-attended 2013 game--Ball State on 9/14--was a real head scratcher for me.  I looked forward to that game more than any other on the schedule that year except Rice, and IMO, it was the most exciting game played at Apogee that year.  I have seldom seen so many big hits from the UNT defense, and I mean EVER.  They physically whipped Ball State, and I just wish that there had been more people there to see it.  I believe the heat really put a damper on attendance.  It sure made the Cardinals finally quit.

Sadly, that game was up against Alabama at A&M that day, which got a ton of attention from theyear before when the Aggies beat them and it was their only loss on the way to another Bama title. The heat kept some diehards from coming that day, but that other game also caught a lot of casual fans who watched that game on TV, too.

• Upvote 2

Sadly, that game was up against Alabama at A&M that day, which got a ton of attention from theyear before when the Aggies beat them and it was their only loss on the way to another Bama title. The heat kept some diehards from coming that day, but that other game also caught a lot of casual fans who watched that game on TV, too.

This post got me thinking, I know the benefits of having UNT playing on TV. But does TV actually hurt our game attendance too? I know I'm guilty of it sometimes. I want to go to the game, but I get lazy and just sit in the recliner and pull it up on TV. The Ball State game in 2013 was one of those games for me.

(I won't make this a habit haha)

• Upvote 1

1:30 for the Rice game will be a killer too. Plus it will really hurt tailgating. Some might say that there could be celebratory tailgating after the game, but most people are done by game time.

I guess I didnt realize that the Rice game was at 1:30. Nothing like sitting in 100 degree heat. I know its September but its gonna be hotter than Hades

• Upvote 1

This post got me thinking, I know the benefits of having UNT playing on TV. But does TV actually hurt our game attendance too? I know I'm guilty of it sometimes. I want to go to the game, but I get lazy and just sit in the recliner and pull it up on TV. The Ball State game in 2013 was one of those games for me.

It absolutely does and to the point where I am starting to question the benefits of playing on TV in some circumstances.

Then on a Normal Thursday, everyone of the Mean Green Club members (Boosters) that live out of Denton trying to make a 7 or 6:30 kick off is almost impossible with traffic and getting off work.

Im all for publicity but sometimes buts in the seats are more important than TV time IMO

I don't have kids right now, so I know without a shadow of a doubt I will be at the Halloween game. Unfortunately, I was wanting to have a big tailgate group that day. But I have some friends that have little ones, so I already know the answer to the tailgate invite. It is looking more like my big tailgate group weekend is going to be on homecoming against Portland State (sigh...). I was pleasantly surprised at the attendance of the game against Rice in 2013, on Halloween. So who knows what will happen.

"Im all for publicity but sometimes buts in the seats are more important than TV time IMO" (I agree sir)

It absolutely does and to the point where I am starting to question the benefits of playing on TV in some circumstances.

You know, I'm kind of dreading it too. Not that long ago, I was wishing we could get on national TV more. But we aren't getting much benefited by being on TV here at home.

• Upvote 1

I don't have kids right now, so I know without a shadow of a doubt I will be at the Halloween game. Unfortunately, I was wanting to have a big tailgate group that day. But I have some friends that have little ones, so I already know the answer to the tailgate invite. It is looking more like my big tailgate group weekend is going to be on homecoming against Portland State (sigh...). I was pleasantly surprised at the attendance of the game against Rice in 2013, on Halloween. So who knows what will happen.

"Im all for publicity but sometimes buts in the seats are more important than TV time IMO" (I agree sir)

You know, I'm kind of dreading it too. Not that long ago, I was wishing we could get on national TV more. But we aren't getting much benefited by being on TV here at home.

Keep in Mind that the we were 5-3 going into the Rice game riding a 3 game win streak so our popularity was high

I guess TV is considered the be all-end all.  I wonder if we were offered a TV spot for a 9:00am kickoff we'd take it.  Remember we played at Texas time before last at 11:00 in the morning.  Does anyone think we lose fans in the stands to TV ? 

GO MEAN GREEN

Yes, and as mentioned by GT13, we lose even more when the game is played on a hot afternoon. Let's see, we televise an afternoon game where fewer people attend because of the heat. Eventually the cameras pan over all those empty seats, and everyone in the viewing audience  sees what they already perceive as one of our biggest negative about our football program. The negative perception is ingrained in their minds even more.   

Tell me again what we gain from televising our games?

• Upvote 1

The 2013 game vs Ball St was a great game and IMO the best game of Derek Thompsons career. You missed a treat. Laramie Lee put on a safety clinic that game in the 2nd half. 

• Upvote 6

Yes, and as mentioned by GT13, we lose even more when the game is played on a hot afternoon. Let's see, we televise an afternoon game where fewer people attend because of the heat. Eventually the cameras pan over all those empty seats, and everyone in the viewing audience  sees what they already perceive as one of our biggest negative about our football program. The negative perception is ingrained in their minds even more.   

Tell me again what we gain from televising our games?

Well as a fan that lives 1000 miles away from Denton now, I cant even tell you how much it means to me to be able to watch my beloved Mean Green on TV. But aside from my selfish reasons, I would think having televised games has a positive impact on recruiting... which leads to more wins... which leads to better attendance. 

• Upvote 3

I completely agree with you but the first step is actually making a step.

EDIT: After typing this, didnt they do something for the last Halloween game underneath the North Wing of the stadium?

I believe you are correct.

I know many of our regulars tailgaters had plenty of candy to hand out at the Rice Halloween game. I'm sure that will be the case again this year. If that's a game I can make it to I'll be sure to have plenty to give out.

• Upvote 2

Well as a fan that lives 1000 miles away from Denton now, I cant even tell you how much it means to me to be able to watch my beloved Mean Green on TV. But aside from my selfish reasons, I would think having televised games has a positive impact on recruiting... which leads to more wins... which leads to better attendance. 

Valid point Paul.