Utah at Fresno State

Iowa State at Toledo

North Carolina State at Old Dominion

Wake Forest at Army

Week 4:

Virginia Tech at East Carolina

Week 5:

Miami at Cincinnati

Why not us? Weren't we promised these type of games?

Really??? :mellow:

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

2015 P5's at a G5

Week 1:

Oklahoma State at Central Michigan

Duke at Tulane

Penn State at Temple

Washington at Boise State

Purdue at Marshall

Mississippi State at Southern Miss 

Week 2:

Missouri at Arkansas State

Minnesota at Colorado State

UCLA at UNLV

Arizona at Nevada

Kansas State at UTSA

Pitt at Akron

Miami at FAU

Week 3:

Utah at Fresno State

Iowa State at Toledo

North Carolina State at Old Dominion

Wake Forest at Army

Week 4:

Virginia Tech at East Carolina

Week 5:

Miami at Cincinnati

Why not us? Weren't we promised these type of games?

All of the game that are bolded, italicized, and underlined above are all examples of ADs that have gone out and accomplished something great for their fanbase. If you are in the bottom three of the G5 (MAC, SBC, or CUSA) and still host a P5, congratulations. It must be nice to get to see those teams come to town. Try not to be jealous of us when we host Portland State, Incarnate Word, Liberty, or Abilene Christian to complement those OOC giants Army and SMU in the years ahead.

• Upvote 3

Yep, that's what we were promised....this is a very valid criticism.  There are many areas up for debate, but our scheduling is really suspect.

you are just a negative ned, aren't you. Hush your mouth and be thankful that my personal friend RV (well, at least I view him that way, even if he doesn't necessarily view me that way) has done what he has done the last 14 years, whatever that may be, because this is UNT and we really shouldn't expect to compete with the likes of Toledo and W. Michigan.

Also, Nevermind that he boldfaced lied to you about Tulsa being the reason for 5 home games this year. I mean, he has a tough job and sometimes he just has to blatantly lie to the fan base.

I mean, it's what friends do.

• Upvote 1

t it really doesn't matter how many times he lies to us (better OOC opponents once we get the new stadium, Tulsa is the cause of everything evil with this year's schedule, or one of the many others told in his tenure), we just need to accept it and name something after him when he retires with 20 years of AD service at UNT without doing anything appreciable to advance the status of the athletics programs.

you are just a negative ned, aren't you. Hush your mouth and be thankful that my personal friend RV (well, at least I view him that way, even if he doesn't necessarily view me that way) has done what he has done the last 14 years, whatever that may be, because this is UNT and we really shouldn't expect to compete with the likes of Toledo and W. Michigan.

Also, Nevermind that he boldfaced lied to you about Tulsa being the reason for 5 home games this year. I mean, he has a tough job and sometimes he just has to blatantly lie to the fan base.

I get what is going on here, lobbing softballs in an attempt to get a reaction.

• Upvote 2

t it really doesn't matter how many times he lies to us (better OOC opponents once we get the new stadium, Tulsa is the cause of everything evil with this year's schedule, or one of the many others told in his tenure), we just need to accept it and name something after him when he retires with 20 years of AD service at UNT without doing anything appreciable to advance the status of the athletics programs.

I get what is going on here, lobbing softballs in an attempt to get a reaction.

I'm just glad YOU are reading it. Maybe someday the personal friendship will finally take a back seat to actual results with you.

Do you actually believe the Tulsa lie? I mean, how does it feel to have him look you in the eye and lie to you? 

True friendship right there, eh? 

While the issue with Tulsa may or may not have just been a matter of something changing AFTER he said it that we aren't aware of, the main issue is still valid.  Announcers' jaws drop at our new stadium.  We're a long-standing football school.  We may never get UT, OU, or aTm if we never expand, because they have so many alumni in the area and they'd expect us to accommodate a huge crowd, but just about every other P5 should be on our list...AND we should be getting home-and-homes with them.

Has Rick ever responded to why everyone else can do it but we can't?  I've been gone for a while, so I just get all of your updates.  This is really my biggest beef.  Hiring and retention of sub-par coaches, well, that's been a problem, but he may be putting on a nice face when hanging on to them because of the budget when he might actually want to drop another once in a while, but part of his job is to take the heat and just deal with it instead of passing the buck, even if he's been given a mandate behind closed doors.

So yeah, scheduling is the one thing I really feel that we can say rest squarely on his shoulders that WASN'T likely placed there by anyone else.

One last point: I think the reason so many G5s are getting those home-and-home games is...because so many are doing it.  It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, because by sticking together they're making it harder for the bigs to demand the paycheck games.  It also helps to get P5s WITHOUT huge budgets, because they're likely much happier to avoid paying out a million bucks a game, AND 1-for-1 also only makes them travel for half the games.  Also, note that the number of schools in such agreements are probably about double what you guys have listed, because this is the year they're traveling and next or last year would be the year they host(ed).

By us and a few others hanging on to the paycheck games, not only do we have a crappier schedule, but we're helping the outdated system remain in place while everyone else is trying to change it, even though it's for our own good to go the new direction.  WEIRD.

Edited by JesseMartin
forgot something

While the issue with Tulsa may or may not have just been a matter of something changing AFTER he said it that we aren't aware of, the main issue is still valid.  Announcers' jaws drop at our new stadium.  We're a long-standing football school.  We may never get UT, OU, or aTm if we never expand, because they have so many alumni in the area and they'd expect us to accommodate a huge crowd, but just about every other P5 should be on our list...AND we should be getting home-and-homes with them.

Has Rick ever responded to why everyone else can do it but we can't?  I've been gone for a while, so I just get all of your updates.  This is really my biggest beef.  Hiring and retention of sub-par coaches, well, that's been a problem, but he may be putting on a nice face when hanging on to them because of the budget when he might actually want to drop another once in a while, but part of his job is to take the heat and just deal with it instead of passing the buck, even if he's been given a mandate behind closed doors.

So yeah, scheduling is the one thing I really feel that we can say rest squarely on his shoulders that WASN'T likely placed there by anyone else.

One last point: I think the reason so many G5s are getting those home-and-home games is...because so many are doing it.  It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, because by sticking together they're making it harder for the bigs to demand the paycheck games.  It also helps to get P5s WITHOUT huge budgets, because they're likely much happier to avoid paying out a million bucks a game, AND 1-for-1 also only makes them travel for half the games.  Also, note that the number of schools in such agreements are probably about double what you guys have listed, because this is the year they're traveling and next or last year would be the year they host(ed).

By us and a few others hanging on to the paycheck games, not only do we have a crappier schedule, but we're helping the outdated system remain in place while everyone else is trying to change it, even though it's for our own good to go the new direction.  WEIRD.

like I have said time and again, RV only knows how to AD 1990s style.

Innovation and new ideas just aren't his thing. And apparently this fan base is fine with that.

• Upvote 1

like I have said time and again, RV only knows how to AD 1990s style.

Innovation and new ideas just aren't his thing. And apparently this fan base is fine with that.

From 1995-2001, we hosted Oregon State, Houston, Vanderbilt, UNLV, Baylor, and TCU to Denton...at Fouts Field...with Craig Helwig's scheduling.

SInce 2011, we have hosted Houston, Indiana, Idaho, Ball State, and SMU to Denton...at Apogee Stadium...and that doesn't include the three FCS schools we have hosted and will host this year as the only OOC game at home. 

From 1995-2001, we hosted Oregon State, Houston, Vanderbilt, UNLV, Baylor, and TCU to Denton...at Fouts Field...with Craig Helwig's scheduling.

Poor Craig Helwig, if he had just allowed tailgating and glad handled a few more people he could have had a job for life.

... of course being a senior assoc ad at UT probably paid pretty well.

• Upvote 1

Poor Craig Helwig, if he had just allowed tailgating and glad handled a few more people he could have had a job for life.

... of course being a senior assoc ad at UT probably paid pretty well.

Sadly, that part about tailgating and glad-handling better is accurate, as illustrated by the last 14 years.

• Upvote 1

SInce 2011, we have hosted Houston, Indiana, Idaho, Ball State, and SMU to Denton...at Apogee Stadium...and that doesn't include the three FCS schools we have hosted and will host this year as the only OOC game at home. 

I prefer the winning percentage at Apogee to 2nd tier P5s at Fouts (or non-P5s in half of those cases).

• Upvote 1

I prefer the winning percentage at Apogee to 2nd tier P5s at Fouts (or non-P5s in half of those cases).

Winning home games at Apogee and scheduling decent teams aren't exclusionary ideas.  In fact, common sense says they should reinforce each other.  In fact, it was once of the selling points that the department trumpeted to argue for the building of Apogee.

• Upvote 1

The point is that we have stepped up immensely in the stadium we play in, but our OOC scheduling has almost mystifyingly gotten worse. I am still amazed that this has happened, been allowed to keep happening, and, even sadder, been accepted by the clear majority of UNT fans, just because it gives folks a chance to tailgate before a game. That NIcholls State game last year was the least competitive game I have ever watched a North Texas team beat. That looked like us against Oklahoma in 2007, with a brand new high school coach at the helm. That win actually hurt the team more than it helped--it made the team and fans think Dajon Williams was a great QB for this offense, which he obviously wasn't against actual FBS teams. And that frustrating fall from grace irritated McCarney so much that he decided to go back to his old safety net, Minimac, who we are stuck with now as our starter, since he doesn't freelance or do anything he isn't asked to do--just hand the ball off and throw bubble screens and two yard slants.

It really wouldn't bother me if we hadn't been promised that a new stadium would allow us the opportunity to host more recognized opponents in Denton, teams like Iowa and Minnesota, or OSU and Mizzou, just to mention a few of the names bandied about.  And if the P5s announced that they would never play another OOC game on the road at a G5 school, I'd accept it, too. But to watch SMU host the teams they host every year in Dallas, to see Arkansas State hosting Mizzou, and to watch Oklahoma State in past years travel to Troy, FAU, ULL, UTSA, and now Central Michigan, it just boggles my mind that we host Texas Southern, South Alabama, Idaho, Ball State, SMU, Nicholls State, and now Portland State in the years after the opening season of Apogee, it is just deflating. It doesn't have to do with a lack of love of our school, either. It has to do with the fact that beating these teams does absolutely nothing for your recruiting or to generate any buzz in the fanbase, except for SMU. When we beat our CUSA West colleagues, people in the area and in the region notice those names. If we got to play OSU, even once, and just gave them a close game, it would be better for us than every regular season G5/FCS win we have had since we beat Baylor in Lubbock in 2003. Hell, and losing at  UGa 45-21, but playing them close for 3 quarters did more for us than anything since we had gone to the NO Bowl in 2004. It would be a lot easier if that game, even once, took place in Denton, instead at the Southern P5 giant's home place. Its gonna take a win over a named P5 school AND a conference championship around here to make recruiting and fan support increase in a major way.

Its probably gonna take a win over a named P5 school AND a conference championship around here to make recruiting and fan support increase in a major way. Its the only thing we haven't done to get the needle moving here for either facet.

• Upvote 1