North Texas v Louisiana Tech (1/22/14)

Andrew

I sat and usually do sit 15 rows or so up behind our bench pending my temper that day. Tonight I was there though, gray North Texas sweatshirt.

Well...I think you were one of the two guys I was talking about. You did a great job! Need more fans like you really getting into the games. That used to be me, but I am a bit old for that, but I do my best. There was another guy with a young lady a row or two behind you that was also doing a pretty good job...except when he came out loudly with a few four letter words...not cool, but he was giving the refs heck.

Great job, Ben....thanks for being there to support these players...and for really getting into the game. One of the best games to witness in person in a long time.

Now...those here who now discount the Creighton win can figure out how to discredit this one. Gonna be a tad hard as La Tech was 4-0 in conference and 14-4 .... Now 14-5 over all. But, am sure they will try.

• Upvote 1

Tony Mitchell was an athlete playing basketball. A selfish athlete at that. Combs, if properly trained, will put on a lot of weight. He needs to fine tune his jump shot, FT, etc. but he rebounds like he's 6'10" over actual 6'10" guys. He's the best raw talent I have seen, including Mitchell.

I'm sorry, but that is just an asinine statement. "An athlete playing basketball" wouldn't lead the conference in 3 pt field goal percentage, which Mitchell did. He also took the ball coast to coast after getting a rebound multiple times. Combs is not on the same planet from a basketball ability perspective. He's a solid player and he's good at doing what he does. Scrapping under the basket, rebounding, and putting the ball in the bucket underneath.

I'm not going to go on about that anymore and take away from Combs' great performance and a great win.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry, but that is just an asinine statement. "An athlete playing basketball" wouldn't lead the conference in 3 pt field goal percentage, which Mitchell did. He also took the ball coast to coast after getting a rebound multiple times. Combs is not on the same planet from a basketball ability perspective. He's a solid player and he's good at doing what he does. Scrapping under the basket, rebounding, and putting the ball in the bucket underneath.

I'm not going to go on about that anymore and take away from Combs' great performance and a great win.

Apparently you missed the 12-13 season. No? He's a freak athlete playing basketball. Combs is a great athlete playing high IQ, unselfish, team basketball; and he's a freshman.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ben is spot on. Perhaps Ben should be the moderator? It seems like the people who are given positions on the boards are pretty clueless when it comes to basketball. No one..... Not even scouts thought mitchell was overly impressive. He had all the potential in the world and never used it. This is why at this point he is not in the NBA. Mitchel was solid blocking shots though and I will give him that. Combs will be here four years and put up major stats as his range extends.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

Nicknames? Good lord WTF is going on here?

Tristan Thompson never had a nickname either, and that's another guy I probably wouldn't rank Combs over as a freshman. And Tristan wasn't really Tristan as we think of him until the second half of his sophomore going into his junior campaign.

Tristan Thompson never had a nickname either, and that's another guy I probably wouldn't rank Combs over as a freshman. And Tristan wasn't really Tristan as we think of him until the second half of his sophomore going into his junior campaign.

I don't care about nicknames, that was Andrew. I also don't follow recruiting all that closely, like Billy. But I know effort, talent, raw skill when I see it and I am telling you, Combs is the real deal. He just doesn't happen to be in the right spot at the right time the majority of the time, he fights his way to the right spot by using skill and fundamentals, and he finishes by using raw talent. He is also a high effort guy, no quit in him. This is just the 4-5 games I have seen in person and the couple on television. He may be an effortless dud during the games I haven't seen, but I doubt it.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He was called dog house for a while..... Really!? He was always in JJs dog house late in his career. Again a lot of people knew this though. Tristan was a solid player though! Miss his ability to knock down the three.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Oops, meant Ben haha my bad billy

Oh, I'm sorry, you must enjoy talented, effortless, selfish basketball players. You must be pro-Tony Mitchell.

And I rarely post in the basketball forums. Bball is here to occupy my time until Dan can run what's left of our football team into the ground this upcoming season.

Oh and don't worry Mac I'll critique a Dr tomorrow, I promise.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

No, I like coaches who can take clear NBA talent and push them, that's what they get paid to do. :) but you probably just want to blame the player, yet you attack Danny Mac one year after you were singing praises and jumping for joy after a bowl win. Get out. Go "support" your other school.

• Upvote 4

No, I like coaches who can take clear NBA talent and push them, that's what they get paid to do. :) but you probably just want to blame the player, yet you attack Danny Mac one year after you were singing praises and jumping for joy after a bowl win. Get out. Go "support" your other school.

Your comments may be a generalization of the fans on and off this board, but in no way did I "praise" Mac for doing anything. Also, I've been calling for Benford. Get your smartass game up.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

So you hated every second of the bowl victory, season, and success? No, I didn't think so. Gah I can't wait till you "tire out" and quit following unt sports. How does the ignore function work? Anyone care to explain.

Nice win, proud of the guy. I say we win the next 2 at home too. My guess is we finish 17-15 or 16-16 again. Much more than I expected a few days ago.

I'd ease up there. It's a nice win, but it's clearly an abberition when taken with the performance the rest of the season.

Some time you make shots when the other team doesn't. This is one of those times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1