What Do You Expect From This Program

shaft

Sometimes we're a tough team to root for, but overall we're headed in the right direction.

The Athletic Program is accomplishing its goals...

• Paid the note on Fouts
  • Completed Sports Master Plan
  • Started the athletic campus
  • Built the new Stadium
  • Baseball

The problem is that the slow growth model is slow.

This season confirmed what we already knew, you can't just re-load at UNT. You can't really re-load at any mid-major school.

The challenge now is to not slip up with a rebuilding season on its way.

All I really expect is that the team make it to a bowl once out of every three years.

• Upvote 2

All I really expect is that the team make it to a bowl once out of every three years.

Am I nuts? I think we have certain luxuries that afford us reasons to demand 8+ win seasons, 4 outta 5 years. We just have to adjust some pieces.

If your comment is indicative of everyone else's bar, I am sorely out of the loop and need to reevaluate my fandom.

• Upvote 3

I think this is a very fair and well put opinion. Look, I agree it is tough to reload at a mid major just ask Tulsa or heck even SMU who has fallen on hard times after some good bowl years with Jones. It is easy after a sub par season to forget all of the good things that have transpired especially in terms of our new conference (CUSA), facilities (Apogee) and coaching salaries.

All we want is to know that our leadership will identify what went wrong and try their very level best to correct it. Most of us on here are diehards, lifers, joined at the hip with UNT. We just want for others to join with us and believe me there are so many out there who would emotionally and financially join with us if we could give them consistent results, or at leats some reason for hope.

I have been very clear that I have faith in Dan McCarney. What he did with this program last year, which culminated with my high level mark as a UNT fan for 20-years (Heart of Dallas Bowl win and turnout of 35K+ UNT fans). He deserves and has earned the right to turn this program around. I just want to make sure that no stone is left unturned... let's put ALL of our resources behind Coach Mac and his staff. If we are not recruiting the players we need to win consistently in C-USA, I want to see that get corrected. If we need help at QB or on the defensive line then damnit lets make it happen and get some guys in here that can help us win. There is no reason for us to lose two years in a row to UTSA. That is just unacceptable!

Wanting to identify issues and make adjustments does not make us bad fans. On the contrary, it says that we care and want to see this thing succeed. We care! Otherwise we wouldn't be voicing our opinions on here.

You are absolutely right however, when you look at what has been accomplished here in the last decade it is truly amazing, and I'm not talking just about athletics. The college has become a major destination and grown in size and reputation. The city of Denton is one of the coolest towns in the country, it's Austin back when it was great. There is so much good stuff going on I think it raises our expectations which in truth is not a bad thing! I think we just want this past nightmare season to be a blip on the radar when we look back and that is what is driving the emotions seen here on the site. GMG

Shaft's expectations for the program are pretty modest but sadly it would be an improvement over what we have seen in the past. We have had four winning football seasons in the last twenty years (2002,2003,2004, and 2013). Only one of those winning seasons has come in the past ten years so his hope that we would make it to a bowl game once every three years would be one heck of an improvement over where we have been. That is really sad isn't it ?

• Upvote 2

I figure we'll continue to be competitive in sports that almost no one cares about, and good in football and basketball once or twice a decade each. I expect nothing to change from that model for my time on this earth. I expect to be called a bad fan or part of the problem for no longer budgeting season tickets for either of the main failures. I expect lots off talk about getting a new stadium and conference. As one guy with connections to the goings on on Bonnie brae put it earlier today... I EXPECT THE ACCEPTED LINE FROM THE AD TO BE "IT IS WHAT IT IS."

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 5

Utah St. disagrees. Lost the most players to graduation in the nation last year yet won 9 games in the Mountain West this year.

Since the previous post was deleted, I'll leave it at that.

Utah St is just the tip of that spear. There are several G5's that have turned their programs into consistent winners. Saying G5's don't reload is just another excuse from our content fan base.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I figure we'll continue to be competitive in sports that almost no one cares about, and good in football and basketball once or twice a decade each. I expect nothing to change from that model for my time on this earth. I expect to be called a bad fan or part of the problem no longer budgeting season tickets for either of the main failures. I expect lots off talk about getting a new stadium and conference.

I agree with everything here. Everything.

I don't understand why you refuse to be my best friend.

There are several G5's that have turned their programs into consistent winners.

This is a myth. There are a couple of outliers like Boise that can reload, but that's the exception.

Southern Miss used to be one of those re-load teams. What mid-major has gone to a bowl 9 out of 10 seasons? How about 4 out of 5 seasons?

These consistent winners might make it to a bowl 2 out of 3 seasons, but weren't not there yet. Which is why I expect 1 bowl every 3 seasons.

This is a myth. There are a couple of outliers like Boise that can reload, but that's the exception.

Southern Miss used to be one of those re-load teams. What mid-major has gone to a bowl 9 out of 10 seasons? How about 4 out of 5 seasons?

These consistent winners might make it to a bowl 2 out of 3 seasons, but weren't not there yet. Which is why I expect 1 bowl every 3 seasons.

Central Florida? Marshall? Bowling Green? Northern Illinois? Tulsa up to a two years ago. Southern Miss up to three years ago? BYU? East Carolina? Houston? Rice in the last 5 years? Colorado State had some awesome years there. Cincinnati? Toledo had some good years? TCU before they went to the big 12? Hell, NDSU reloads better than us consistently.

I feel there are plenty of schools that seem to reload regularly.

• Upvote 1

G5 teams that have shown to "reload" by becoming bowl eligible in recent years more often than not.

Does Not Include This Season 2014 Unless Noted

Arkansas St. Bowl Eligible 6 of the past 8 years.

Ball St. 5 of the past 7.

Boise...16 of the past 16

Bowling Green.....10 of the past 12

BYU.....38 of the past 42

East Carolina...7 of past 8

Fresno St....13 of the past 15.

Houston...8 of the past 12

La Tech....6 of the past 10 including this year.

Louisville....13 of the past 16

Louisiana Lafeyette...7 of the past 10

Marshall....11 of the past 17

Memphis...6 of the past 11 including this year.

Miami Ohio....13 of the past 19

Middle Tennessee....5 of the past 8

Navy....10 of the past 11

Nevada....9 of the past 11

Ohio....7 of the past 8

Rice...4 of the past 7

Rutgers...8 of the past 9

San Diego St....5 of the past 10

South Florida....10 of the past 13

SMU....5 of the past 8

Southern Miss...18 of the past 20

Troy....8 of the past 10

Tulsa....8 of the past 10

Western Kentucky...4 of the past 7

Western Michigan.....5 of the past 9

That's 28 Non-Mythical programs that don't seem to expect excuses, just positive results.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

G5 teams that have shown to "reload" by becoming bowl eligible in recent years more often than not.

Ohio....7 of the past 8

Rice...4 of the past 7

SMU....5 of the past 8

Troy....8 of the past 10

That's 27 programs that don't seem to expect excuses, just positive results.

Rick

Boom goes the dynamite. Let's squash the excuses. GMG
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Bowling Green.....10 of the past 12

Ohio....7 of the past 8

Rice...4 of the past 7

SMU....5 of the past 8

Troy....8 of the past 10

That's 28 Non-Mythical programs that don't seem to expect excuses, just positive results.

Rick

Sssshhhhh

We are UNT. It's ok if we suck.

Cause are AD is just so darn nice

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Is that the same WKU that moved up from FBS a mere 7 years ago...

And only trail us in total bowl games as a program by 3?

Thank God for the Buick's 4 year run, eh?

But don't worry, cause I know a guy who assures us it's due to exceptional circumstances. ;-)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is that the same WKU that moved up from FBS a mere 7 years ago...

And only trail us in total bowl games as a program by 3?

Thank God for the Buick's 4 year run, eh?

But don't worry, cause I know a guy who assures us it's due to exceptional circumstances. ;-)

Yup, and that's Troy who has played FBS eligible ball since 2001, and South Florida since 2000.

And had they not taken a 3 year nose dive prior to the '13 season you could have added Florida Atlantic, who has only been playing FBS since '04, and has been bowl eligible 4 of the past 9 seasons.

Rick

It is what it is.... You're probably better off without my friendship. My expectations of a worthwhile relationship are through the floor.

YOU CAN'T GO THROUGH THE FLOOR AT COSMIC BOUNCE!

But, every Saturday... I sit there at a table by myself all day, staring at a door you never walk through... Stifling my tears and eating yet another cookie cake with your name on it.

Alone.

Yup, and that's Troy who has played FBS eligible ball since 2001, and South Florida since 2000.

And had they not taken a 3 year nose dive prior to the '13 season you could have added Florida Atlantic, who has only been playing FBS since '04, and has been bowl eligible 4 of the past 9 seasons.

Rick

The excuses the fans of this program buy into are really quite amazing.

Just don't ever ask these folks "why not North Texas?" Because they will have their list handy.

As, apparently, will DMac and RV when the heat is on.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We seriously need a new AD. Badly. It's getting pathetic that he not only keeps his job, but for some reason or another he is highly regarded by even some on here. It's head scratching honestly.

You need to understand that some like him because he returns their calls and emails. Some like him because he is such a nice guy. Some like him because he says all the right things.

Few like him because of his job performance.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You need to understand that some like him because he returns their calls and emails. Some like him because he is such a nice guy. Some like him because he says all the right things.

Few like him because of his job performance.

We are doomed. We are going to get our teeth kicked down our throats next season, repeatedly. And to be absolutely honest if it's going to be bad then I want it to be real bad. I hope we get Marshal and WKU, both on the road. I hope we get throttled by Tennessee and Iowa. And the SMU game will not be 2014. They have talent and Chad Morris' offensive philosophy will utilize a lot of that talent perfectly. If Mac is going to continuously be stubborn, I hope he feels the wrath of his own stubbornness.

Then what happens? 4/5 losing seasons...then where do we turn..oh wait, RV made a decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I figure we'll continue to be competitive in sports that almost no one cares about, and good in football and basketball once or twice a decade each. I expect nothing to change from that model for my time on this earth. I expect to be called a bad fan or part of the problem for no longer budgeting season tickets for either of the main failures. I expect lots off talk about getting a new stadium and conference. As one guy with connections to the goings on on Bonnie brae put it earlier today... I EXPECT THE ACCEPTED LINE FROM THE AD TO BE "IT IS WHAT IT IS."

This. If the Administrators of the Program have accepted mediocrity as acceptable results then what choice do fans have other than non-attendance to show displeasure? We wait them out until they leave?

• Upvote 1

This. If the Administrators of the Program have accepted mediocrity as acceptable results then what choice do fans have other than non-attendance to show displeasure? We wait them out until they leave?

You will be waiting a long, long, long, long time, my friend.

Problem is, at UNT the administration has never really cared about anything involved with athletics. Lower attendance? No problem, RV will just do what we are already doing in 2015.

2 whore games a year.

It's all about staying within budget at UNT. Wins and losses never have, and I'm starting to believe, never will matter.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1