What Do You Expect From This Program

shaft

So the bottom line to all of this is that North Texas opens up every fall camp at 0-1.17. When we could easily be opening up at 0-0 at least every other year, but as 90 has pointed out about 1,000,000 times our AD does not know how to market, fundraiser, or schedule. So we are stuck in barrel treading water. Yay.

RV still employed?

• Upvote 1

Once again, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. SDSU has played 13 money games in the last 15 years from my count (went back to 2000). There was a time when SDSU could get some home and homes with decent names. Now there are lucky to get Oregon State and Wash St from the P5 conferences. By the way, they played 12 FCS teams during that same period.

2014 - @North Carolina

2013 - @Ohio State

2012 - @Washington

2011 - @Michigan

2010 - @Missouri

2009 - @UCLA

2008 - @Notre Dame

2007 - none

2006 - @Wisconsin

2005 - @Ohio St

2004 - @Michigan

2003 - @Ohio State

2002 - @Colorado

2001 - @Ohio State

2000 - none

Some of the teams on the list used to play h/h with SDSU, but the games listed above do not have a matching home game on the schedule.

No idea who your accusing of ranting here. but the majority of us here were discussing the time period mentioned in the article, which was the seasons between 2000-2010. I simply extended the research back to 1998 and up to 2013 to show the failed claim of the original article.

I missed the Washington game in 2012, so that's what, 8 games they played without a return from '98-'13? And 7 between '00-'10? Still a long ways from 23.

And you failed to notice that SDSU hosted Wisconsin in 1998, and UCLA twice in '02 and '05. But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant, right? See how I did that?

And if your wanting to extend the discussion beyond 2013 then lets not leave out their One and One scheduled in 2015 and 2016 with U of California.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/mtn-west/san-diego-state-aztecs.php

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

I was about to reply when my wife just asked me if I was actually in a discussion with someone on the Internet questioning the facts in a magazine article.

Yeah, I'm going away for a little while now.

Lol.

That's why you never ever tell them the details of the discussion,

Ever.

Or you can just ask them what was the last thing they posted to Facebook...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

@FFR

Not that it is a huge deal, but I think if you look closely, SDSU played UCLA 5 times during that span, 2 home and 2 away from 2002 - 2005 and then once more in 2009 @UCLA with no return game.

Same with Wisconsin. I made the assumption that the 1998 home game against Wisconsin you are quoting is the return game for @Wisconsin in 1997. The 2006 game @Wisconsin looked to me like it was a payday game since there are no other games with Wisconsin.

I am guessing the author of the article looked at every road game @ a P5 opponent and assumed it was a payday game, instead of taking a few minutes to research (pesky deadlines) and see that in some instances they are still able to schedule the occasional H/H against a P5. I took a peek prior to 2000 and I did not see a bunch of payday games jump out at me so stopped at 2000 since that is what the article quoted. SDSU definitely used to be able to schedule some H/H against mid to upper tier P5 programs, but not so much lately (Cal series is a nice one for them).

Based on their upcoming schedule, it looks like they are trying to eliminate the payday game they have had on their schedule in the past. By doing so, it gives them more scheduling flexibility to get the occasional H/H with a lower tier P5. I believe we could do the same if we eliminate the payday game.

When you look at the numbers, it should only take $300-$400k to eliminate the payday game on a yearly basis. Much of this should have already been realized with increased CUSA revenue over the belt. I think I would put eliminating the payday game at the top on my list of wants for the program. It seems very attainable and would help in a number of ways.

• Upvote 1

Based on their upcoming schedule, it looks like they are trying to eliminate the payday game they have had on their schedule in the past. By doing so, it gives them more scheduling flexibility to get the occasional H/H with a lower tier P5. I believe we could do the same if we eliminate the payday game.

When you look at the numbers, it should only take $300-$400k to eliminate the payday game on a yearly basis. Much of this should have already been realized with increased CUSA revenue over the belt. I think I would put eliminating the payday game at the top on my list of wants for the program. It seems very attainable and would help in a number of ways.

UNT90 in 3...2...1...
  • Upvote 1

You are correct. And if UNT had an AD that wasn't stuck in the 90s and only knew one way to do things, we could explore these other options.

We don't, so really no reason to talk about it until RV is gone. He made that CRYSTAL clear in the podcast with Harry.

At the moment, 2017 is the last payday game on our schedule. Hopefully, that is a good sign that beginning in 2018, we are going to move away from the road payday game, but the presence of a home payday game suggests otherwise.

Lol.

Again, go back and listen to the podcast of RV with Harry. RV made it very clear that as long as he is AD, we will play at least one whore game a year.

As long as RV is the AD, we will play at least one of these a year, maybe 2 the year that we are at SMU.

It's lazy and backward thinking, but it's what we do.