MGB: Don't be surprised if UNT stands pat at QB in 2015

Brett Vito

I forgot Josh Cousins (#13), who is a transfer/walk-on? He and Wells (#11) suit up for every home game and go through the pre-game drills. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record...Cousins looked better in the spring QB (footwork and throwing) drills than Greer did. For that matter so did Shambour. I don't understand how the coaching staff makes the decision about who to allow to have "reps" during practice.
But by the end of spring practice I was certainly scratching my head about Greer.

I told you that McNulty will be sold as being the next Derek Thompson--a senior QB that has struggled along the way , but he will be a true leader just like DT. Just wait--it's already happening with the lone beat writer for this team already blogging about no new QBs in 2015. The bigger question should be from Vito to Mac, why would any QB in this state come here to run this offense when they throw the ball 50 times a night in the spread offense they run in HS? Somehow, I doubt that question will ever get asked.

Mac's always wanted to give the keys to MiniMac and he's finally getting his wish. He figures if he's got to develop someone it may as well be his guy.

The only other thing is if Mac & Co are "stealth" recruiting another JUCO QB. Probably highly unlikely, but a possibility I guess.......

:(

I forgot Josh Cousins (#13), who is a transfer/walk-on? He and Wells (#11) suit up for every home game and go through the pre-game drills. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record...Cousins looked better in the spring QB (footwork and throwing) drills than Greer did. For that matter so did Shambour. I don't understand how the coaching staff makes the decision about who to allow to have "reps" during practice.

But by the end of spring practice I was certainly scratching my head about Greer.

Both their daddy's paid a lot of $ to make sure their "footwork and arms" we're fine tuned machines... Games and the "leadership" side well that left a lot to be desired by cousins in HS.

So Cousins, Wells, and Shanbour are all considered to be out of the mix? God, are they really so bad that even with practice all through now, next spring and summer, there's no way they'd be anywhere near this crop of daisies we have seen thus far? If so then Means had better be better than advertised and rock our asses off through 2018.

So Cousins, Wells, and Shanbour are all considered to be out of the mix? God, are they really so bad that even with practice all through now, next spring and summer, there's no way they'd be anywhere near this crop of daisies we have seen thus far? If so then Means had better be better than advertised and rock our asses off through 2018.

Are any of those guys scholy QBs or are they all walk ons?

• Upvote 1

What about Quinn Shanbour? All I know is that he was injured with a severe turf toe last fall and is just now getting his mobility back; otherwise, he would have been in the mix most definitely. He is a straight "A" student so I doubt he has playbook issues. Althought undersized, he has shown to be a true duel threat who can throw and run (google his hudl highlights for verification). My son played against this kid in high school and Quinn was definitely a gamer. Whether he will get a shot is up to the coaches, but I see him making a big impact in the spring. Last spring he turned heads with his throwing while barely being able to run. And it was his running that defeated my son's team. At 100% I would love to see what this kid can do.

• Upvote 2

What about Quinn Shanbour? All I know is that he was injured with a severe turf toe last fall and is just now getting his mobility back; otherwise, he would have been in the mix most definitely. He is a straight "A" student so I doubt he has playbook issues. Althought undersized, he has shown to be a true duel threat who can throw and run (google his hudl highlights for verification). My son played against this kid in high school and Quinn was definitely a gamer. Whether he will get a shot is up to the coaches, but I see him making a big impact in the spring. Last spring he turned heads with his throwing while barely being able to run. And it was his running that defeated my son's team. At 100% I would love to see what this kid can do.

duel-royal-1798-bm.jpg?w=490&h=348

• Upvote 1

I see one of two reasons why Canales told Chris Riddle's Dad not to bother with the airfare:

(1) Canales is deluded into thinking that UNT's QB of the future is currently on the roster

(2) Canales already knows he's likely fired at season's end so doesn't want to Riddle to sign with UNT when he's out the door.

Either way, it's stupid. But this is what happens when you have (at last count) FIVE QBs on scholarship when you have all the other holes all over the team.

I keep going back to USM's situation. They started a redshirt FR midway through last season, took their lumps (including a 55-14 beatdown by us) but are now rebounding this season and it was his QB play that helped USM put us away at home.

I've been thinking more and more that Canales has taken this team as far as he can and it's time for him to move on. I just hope Mac as the cajones to get rid of him, bring in an OC who can get the most out of our offensive players, and move away from his conservative game management which clearly isn't working in today's college football. It doesn't mean we come out and start slinging it all over the field, but please make some gutsy calls to wrest momentum our way. Even if they fail, at least it shows you have confidence in your team to execute. I'm tired of being on the wrong side of gutsy calls that contribute to us losing games.

Sad to hear the news Mr. Riddle. Maybe something opens up later. If not, best of luck to Chris in the future!

If you go back and read the entirety of the Riddle thread in the recruiting forum, you'll see that Mr. Riddle basically said it came down to whether or not UNT was going to take a QB in this class or not.

Sounds like the actual 2 options are:

1. We're not taking a QB (or taking another QB since we have Chumley in the fold already, depending on where he plays) in 2015.

2. Something else popped up & we're stealth recruiting (possibly a transfer a-la Sokol @ LATech).

Option 1 is probably not Chico's call, or I doubt he would have have weekly chats with Riddle over the past few months. Option 2 is intriguing, but who knows...?

McNulty is Mac's guy--he plays football with minimal turnovers, knows the offensive gameplan that Mac wants him to run, and he doesn't cause any trouble off the field. We all know that he is extremely limited, that he will never lead you to any wins without a great defense or strong running game, neither of which we have this year. But Mac would rather "develop" him and give him reps this year and sell it as this being the same way we "developed" Derek Thompson in his senior year. I don't agree with this at all, but it really doesn't matter, since Mac is gonna do what he believes in as the head coach. He just better be right on this, or next year will look like a repeat of this year.

Gosh, this season feels so much like 2005, it isn't even funny. The recruiting never picked up before that year, we had a bad Qb situation, and the defense had stepped back greatly, while the offensive gameplan never changed. What followed was more boring defeats in 2006, followed by catastrophe under Dodge. What I truly fear is that we may be getting into that situation again here, that we are going to look at 2013 like we did 2002-2003, where we thought we were ready to step up as a program, only to fall back into the abyss that has described UNT Football since Fry left in the late 70s. McCarney is here, no matter what, unless he quits, until 2017, at the earliest. At this point, we just gotta hope he hasn't been so beaten down that he just collects the check. The uber positive and energetic McCarney that we have seen before this season must come back for this thing to turn into anything above a 4 win team going forward. If that guy doesn't appear again, and we are stuck with Dickey Part II, you will see about 12 more wins between now and until the end of 2017, where we just run out the clock against teams we are collecting a check from, have an offense that runs about 75% of the time, and we beat the dregs of the SBCUSA, all while bitching about this being the hardest place to recruit to and coach in America. We have seen how this story played out before our eyes within the last decade.

• Upvote 1

Right, Dajon, with 1 more start under his belt, has only 1 more interception than McNulty. Of course Dajon also had 2 fumbles, so that's 7 turnovers in 77 attempts while McNulty has had 3 turnovers in 96 attempts. 1 TO per 11 attempts (ouch) vs. 1 TO per 32 attempts (still not great but about 3 times better, at least in that one statistic). I don't think McNulty has had any fumbles unless I missed one somewhere. Of course that doesn't include running plays, of which Dajon has had MANY more so if you include those 37 rushes it's 7 turnovers in 114 attempts, or 1 per 16-ish plays. McNulty's 13 "rushes" are mostly sacks, for -55 yards, so the difference between his yardage and Dajon's is almost 200 freaking yards, which might as well be about 3 more possessions' worth of yards if you want to think about it that way.

Seriously, I get creating a bit of space, but it seemed like every play against Rice, McNulty spent the first few seconds running 10 yards backwards and then stood there forever until he eventually got hit. You can't fault the line for that. There were SO many times when he had tons of time to throw and still got sacked. Even if there's nobody open, freaking throw it away. Still lose a down but at least we're not punting on 4th and 45.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 2