I can tell you've been watching North Texas football for all of about 18 months so I won't waste the time to explain to you why him throwing for 2000 yards in his 2nd full season was worth mentioning in his bio.

Rick

Started paying close attention mid 2011. So you're off about 18 months. 2000 yards is 2000 yards no matter how it's diced up. 2-10 teams have dudes throwing for 2000 yards so anything said to justify that is babble garbage.
  • Upvote 1

Did you watch McNulty last night? He's no Kenny Washington or Mitch Maher, but he completed most of his passes, one for our third TD, and he looked better than DW had.

McNulty is not a FBS caliber starting QB, IMO.

You guys are going way overboard here. We lost a TON of seniors last year. Combine that with a redshirt freshman QB and this is what reality has brought us. Sure, we all hoped young/inexperienced players could step right in and keep the train moving, but it ain't happening. This team will have to grow and gain experience. Add a couple of JUCO players at WR, LBer, & DB and in a couple of years as the current crop matures, the team will be competing for a CUSA title again. That's our reality right now, folks............

Started paying close attention mid 2011. So you're off about 18 months. 2000 yards is 2000 yards no matter how it's diced up. 2-10 teams have dudes throwing for 2000 yards so anything said to justify that is babble garbage.

Been watching since 2006. I can tell you its frustrating as hell to see our current stable of QBs be the worst since I've been watching after "how far we've come". I watch A LOT of college football across the G5 conferences and we have had a string of inept QB play. Fortunately, we've had better RBs than lots of the G5 schools which has helped us out.

If a dad of a potential UNT QB recruit reads this forum's bashing of a former bowl MVP QB who holds most of the school records, it might give him pause for thought. Would he really want his son subjected to this?

You think a dad of a potential QB recruit doesn't think his son is going to come in here and shatter every record we ever had?

• Upvote 2

You think a dad of a potential QB recruit doesn't think his son is going to come in here and shatter every record we ever had?

My thoughts exactly. The dad of a potential QB should be licking his chops at the thought of his son being able to start as a true freshman.

All it would take would be one kid - one kid from anywhere - who could freaking learn a playbook quickly and completely and execute it. If he ran a 6.0 40 it wouldn't matter. Half or more of that battle is knowing what to do, then doing it...

...or, is knowing it half, then doing it the other half? F*ck it. Whatever. The point is, if a kid wants badly enough to start as an FBS true freshman, all he has to do for UNT is come in and get the playbook learnt and execute it with a minimal number of mistake problems.

My thoughts exactly. The dad of a potential QB should be licking his chops at the thought of his son being able to start as a true freshman.

All it would take would be one kid - one kid from anywhere - who could freaking learn a playbook quickly and completely and execute it. If he ran a 6.0 40 it wouldn't matter. Half or more of that battle is knowing what to do, then doing it...

...or, is knowing it half, then doing it the other half? F*ck it. Whatever. The point is, if a kid wants badly enough to start as an FBS true freshman, all he has to do for UNT is come in and get the playbook learnt and execute it with a minimal number of mistake problems.

Conner Means started out pretty even with Greer at the beginning of spring practice. By the end of spring he had (IMHO) surpassed Greer in just about every category. But hell, I rated Greer pretty much at the bottom against every QB that got any sort of "reps" during spring practice.

If Dajon and McNulty cannot beat a pretty bad Southern Miss at home, I don't see the sin in taking the redshirt off of Means.

I mean, if we lose to a pathetic USM, we're sitting at 2-5. What more is there to prove? You will have given Dajon plenty of opportunities against "good" and bad teams.

You know, after two seasons of being given the opportunity to learn the playbook enough to help the team, the coaches will have about all the information they need on whether Dajon will develop. So, if we fall to 2-5, give some other young kid a chance.

And, again, why it would seem to make no difference if they simply let Means play.

The "Top Three" on the depth chart have them to the point of re-opening the competition half way through the season. Well...if you already know what you have six games in, and none of them are good enough, why keep wasting time with the same three?

My only problem is the timing. I'd say wait another game before turning over the apple cart. Give Dajon one last chance. If he falters early hand it to McNulty. Then, next week, seriously consider throwing Means into the mix.

At that point, what could it possibly hurt? If you are really concerned about winning games and "keeping the momentum" of the 2013 bowl season, it doesn't make sense to me that you keep turning to the "Top Three" QBs who can't get it done.

By the way...I never in my worst nightmares believed we'd be considering these things this season. It's unthinkable to me. But, if you go back and take an honest look at the depth and recruiting, well...I guess we should have seen it as at least an outside possibility that 2014 could be a timebomb waiting to blow up in our faces.

We're always the fanbase that has the chair pulled out from under us, at worst, or has the whoopie cushion snuck under our butts at best. The Football Gods hate us...but, love laughing at our expense.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

If Dajon and McNulty cannot beat a pretty bad Southern Miss at home, I don't see the sin in taking the redshirt off of Means.

Because this season is over, and 2015 has marks of being a rebuilding year. There is no sensible reason to take the redshirt off of Means. That would be a panic/knee-jerk reaction from a long-term point of view.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because this season is over, and 2015 has marks of being a rebuilding year. There is no sensible reason to take the redshirt off of Means. That would be a panic/knee-jerk reaction from a long-term point of view.

That seems like a quitter's mentality to me. That means admitting that there isn't one QB on the roster that can make few enough mistakes from here on out to be competitive against the Murderer's Row of Rice, FAU, UTEP, FIU, and UTSA.

And, as I've already written, losing to Southern Miss will be my threshold of panic.

That seems like a quitter's mentality to me. That means admitting that there isn't one QB on the roster that can make few enough mistakes from here on out to be competitive against the Murderer's Row of Rice, FAU, UTEP, FIU, and UTSA.

And, as I've already written, losing to Southern Miss will be my threshold of panic.

We are already halfway through the season. If Means were already standing head and shoulders above the other QBs, they would have already pulled the redshirt off of him. So he obviously isn't. Pulling the redshirt off of him would just be a desperation move to see what happens, having no idea whether he would actually give the team a better chance to win.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

If you let DW throw down that junior high performance from last week and don't show the rest of the team that it is unacceptable by opening back up the competition, I think you are crazy. Mac probably went against his better judgement to make the switch to DW originally, based on the details that have come out about his lack of prior focus/commitment.

Frankly, I am surprised he hasn't already named McNulty as the starter. Coach Mac has given the other two their chance. McNulty has only seen time off the bench. It will be interesting to see how DW responds this week. If he shrinks, it might be a long time before we see him again. I hope he steps up and never looks back.

• Downvote 2

My thoughts.......Mac throwing McNty's name out there is just s motivational ploy for DW. No way in hell he goes back now. We're staring down one barrell right now with DW, we'll be staring down 2 barrells with a perennial backup leading the way from here on out. USM is beatable. DW needs confidence, this is how you get it. Jesus H Christ, I hope Mac doesn't pull this mess on us now...

Mac is really hurting himself by limiting his QB recruiting by size. NT needs playmakers, period. We're not a P5 school, talent is talent, and that's what we need...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

Pulling the redshirt off of him would just be a desperation move to see what happens, having no idea whether he would actually give the team a better chance to win.

Which we already did once with a player who didnt put in the work to earn the position outright.

We have been in full desperation mode for 3 weeks.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Normally i wouldn't want to burn a shirt with not much on the line. But, the more I think about it... putting him out there will little pressure or expectations might be the perfect scenario to get some college experience under his belt in a developing year. If we are in rebuild mode, then it wouldn't be a bad thing to do this.

Normally i wouldn't want to burn a shirt with not much on the line. But, the more I think about it... putting him out there will little pressure or expectations might be the perfect scenario to get some college experience under his belt in a developing year. If we are in rebuild mode, then it wouldn't be a bad thing to do this.

It would also give Dajon time to get his head right with ball, study the playbook, watch film, and come out in the spring to battle Means - or, whomever else signs in 2015 - for the starting job.

I think if anything else, Dajon now must realize he can't just put on the pads an run around out there. Okay, he can do that against Nicholls State. But, we don't play them 12 times a year. But, you get my point.

Dajon can grow up and learn, and we can get Means some experience without pressure...

,,,of course, this is all based upon the assumption that we lay another egg on Saturday against USM. If Dajon pulls a rabbit out of the hat on Saturday and we wiin big, all of this hand wringing will have been for naught.

(Sigh) Such is the bipolar existence of a Mean Green football fan.

And, again, why it would seem to make no difference if they simply let Means play.

The "Top Three" on the depth chart have them to the point of re-opening the competition half way through the season. Well...if you already know what you have six games in, and none of them are good enough, why keep wasting time with the same three?

My only problem is the timing. I'd say wait another game before turning over the apple cart. Give Dajon one last chance. If he falters early hand it to McNulty. Then, next week, seriously consider throwing Means into the mix.

At that point, what could it possibly hurt? If you are really concerned about winning games and "keeping the momentum" of the 2013 bowl season, it doesn't make sense to me that you keep turning to the "Top Three" QBs who can't get it done.

By the way...I never in my worst nightmares believed we'd be considering these things this season. It's unthinkable to me. But, if you go back and take an honest look at the depth and recruiting, well...I guess we should have seen it as at least an outside possibility that 2014 could be a timebomb waiting to blow up in our faces.

We're always the fanbase that has the chair pulled out from under us, at worst, or has the whoopie cushion snuck under our butts at best. The Football Gods hate us...but, love laughing at our expense.

DW has flashed enough talent to play the rest of this season out. No reason to burn Means' redshirt.....

The other thing you have to consider is that Means was recruited by Mac. What's Mac's recent rack record with his Qb's? I would bet that he's no way near ready to play yet, either. Not knocking the kid, because he hasn't taken a snap, it's just Mac's track record has shown he hasn't developed a suitable replacement yet for DT.......

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1