Fly like an Eagle Song and others

JRock

It's not that I don't like it. It is just not the "getting fired up" kind of song. Even the original is sleepy. Game day should be hostile and electric. Maybe integrate some Yell like Hell leaders to work in tandem with the cheerleaders. The "Go North Texas Go North Texas Go Go" leans towards high school a little too much.

• Upvote 1

I really do like Fly like an Eagle, when GB plays it at regular speed. However, the "Slow Jam" version of Fly like an Eagle is VERY depressing at times. I thing GB does a great job, but sometimes in the 4th quarter, it feels like they just run out of stuff to play, so they just revert to the Slow Jam version, over and over and over and over....And what it reminds me of is the Dodge era, because I think that's when they started playing that version. After watching a Dodge game of seeing the team completely fall apart, and just all but up and quit on the field was a beating.. I'd be sitting there depressed, and then GB, in the 4th quarter (when you could feel the game was a lost cause, down by a ton, no time outs, other team killing the clock) and GB would play the slow jam version numerous times...Nothing uplifting about it... At that point I was like just don't play anything at all...

If you haven't experienced it, get to the game early and welcome the band as they march into the stadium about 30 minutes before the game. It's a lot of fun to see them march by, getting into the spirit.

I really do like Fly like an Eagle, when GB plays it at regular speed. However, the "Slow Jam" version of Fly like an Eagle is VERY depressing at times. I thing GB does a great job, but sometimes in the 4th quarter, it feels like they just run out of stuff to play, so they just revert to the Slow Jam version, over and over and over and over....And what it reminds me of is the Dodge era, because I think that's when they started playing that version. After watching a Dodge game of seeing the team completely fall apart, and just all but up and quit on the field was a beating.. I'd be sitting there depressed, and then GB, in the 4th quarter (when you could feel the game was a lost cause, down by a ton, no time outs, other team killing the clock) and GB would play the slow jam version numerous times...Nothing uplifting about it... At that point I was like just don't play anything at all...

Totally agree. It's the worst when something good happens late which should call for the fight song, yet they play the Slow Jam instead. Expand the playlist.

Fly like an Eagle is terrible! They need new energetic stuff. But, inevitably, we need energy in our band, our cheerleaders, scrappy, and, sadly, in our football team. The coach is the only one with real football energy. It sure is difficult to watch the same tired thing happen year after year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You'd think it'd be an easy fix. Just add 2 or 3 simple stand tunes in and not play Fly Like An Eagle every 30 seconds.

I absolutely love Fly Like An Eagle, everytime I hear it outside of Apogee or the Super Pit, it makes me think of UNT. It's just played way too much.

I get jealous everytime my friend (he's in LongHorn band) sends me a video of what they're working on. It's always something very modern or current and gets the fans pumped and on their feet.

are sleepy...we need a serious "Upgrade" to our songs/chants. Game day does not feel like a hostile environment other than our noise at times. We can do better. How...well...that is the question of the century. That is all.

Maybe you could follow through with the eagle aviary that were gung ho about a while back, then we could have a birds of prey competition. You know release some snakes or something on the field and let the birds dive for them. Or we could turn the end zones into wildlife management areas, and sell a few tix for fans to hunt during the game..

Edited by Green Dozer

Maybe you could follow through with the eagle aviary that were gung ho about a while back, then we could have a birds of prey competition. You know release some snakes or something on the field and let the birds dive for them. Or we could turn the end zones into wildlife management areas, and sell a few tix for fans to hunt during the game..

I'm down for that. Could be turned into a fundraiser too.

• Upvote 2

I never understood why we don't play "deep in the heart of Texas". The rangers play it. Do people criticize them for copying UT? Does UT own the exclusive rights to the song? I think it is a big crowd favorite and everyone know the lyrics (or u put them on the jumbo). Cotton eyed joe, etc. We need to play up our state of Texas connection more, just my opinion, not sure what others think about that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I never understood why we don't play "deep in the heart of Texas". The rangers play it. Do people criticize them for copying UT? Does UT own the exclusive rights to the song? I think it is a big crowd favorite and everyone know the lyrics (or u put them on the jumbo). Cotton eyed joe, etc. We need to play up our state of Texas connection more, just my opinion, not sure what others think about that.

Yea, we need to play up our TX connection (not the UT type) more. And it needs to start on the coaching staff as we only have 1 coach with Texas (not the UT type) roots. It would make a difference with the high school coaches. Save the Dodge argument (not directed at you Stan), high school coaches were already pissed because he ran up the scores on teams that Southlake played.

*Not exactly on topic, but seemed a good place to interject it.

Edited by Green Dozer

At least it'd get the audience to participate without chanting the same mundane words over and over and over and over...

And heck, it'd be Texas themed. Everyone loves Texas, or else they aren't worth my time.

• Upvote 3

I think you are a genius. Hit it right on the head. ;) And hey....The aviary was a great idea. Not sure about gung ho...but certainly an idea. Have a Teddy. :mom:;)

I love Fly Like an Eagle, it's pretty much our second fight song. I also love the first down one. Hey Baby is fun for the students. I hate the lack of a pregame show.

I like Fly Like an Eagle too but here's the thing -- it's really a better classic rock type of piece. If you had a kick ass group of UNT musicians with guitar, drums, bass, organ/synth etc it would be a very cool and powerful song during games. I thinking of like a Paul Schaefer (Letterman) type of band. I just don't think it plays well as a marching band Green Brigade type of piece...it's not a good brass song. I also don't love the arrangement that they use... And I am a HUGE Green Brigade fan btw I just don't think this song is a good match for what they do.

We don't play up Texas because we are secretly not really that proud of Texas...hell, we didn't even fly the Texas flag at games at Fouts Field for many years. Bear in mind, most of the worker bees at the athletic department are not even from Texas--neither is the president of the university. I've never understood while we did not play up Texas more when we were in the Sun Belt, since we were the only Texas university in the conference.

• Upvote 2

This.

Dr. Dre it is... So when will the Green Brigade be playing "Nothin But a G Thang"?

and THIS.