Sun Belt replaces CUSA in Arizona Bowl

ValleyBoy

We have no one to blame more than ourselves.  We should have been riding high after that bowl win in 2013-14 and instead we crapped our own bed and let the entire conference down.  Ditto basketball.  We need to step up our game before we point any fingers at the conference.

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

We have no one to blame more than ourselves.  

Like I said the bowl rotates, however you are right in that we have no one to blame but ourselves.  Last year the bowl was MWC vs MWC because neither CUSA or SBC could get enough teams bowl eligible.

Instead, a 6-6 Nevada played a 7-5 Colorado St.  

That will be another thing that will happen when G5 relegation/realignment occurs--these bowl games for the new conference setups will also become more geographic. When the CUSA Western teams and SBC Western teams merge into their new conference, our bowl games will be regionalized, too. Bowl games in Shreveport, El Paso, DFW, Houston, San Antonio, and New Orleans will be ones we have deals with, unless a playoff system gets used instead.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

CUSA and SBC alternate every year as the primary and secondary.  

From the Bowl press release with be a Sun Belt vs Mountain West matchup thru 2019.

TUCSON, AZ (May 26, 2016) — The NOVA® Home Loans Arizona Bowl is pleased to announce that this year’s game will be played on Friday, December 30, 2016 at University of Arizona Stadium in Tucson, AZ. The game time will be announced in early June. The NOVA® Home Loans Arizona Bowl will feature a team from the Mountain West competing against a team from the Sun Belt Conference. Both the Mountain West and Sun Belt Conference have committed to sending teams to the NOVA® Home Loans Arizona Bowl for the 2016-2019 seasons. Additionally, Campus Insiders, the premier online destination and leading content source for college sports fans, has agreed to a multi-year media partnership for the streaming of the game and enhanced digital game experience on CampusInsiders.com as well as on its many mobile and streaming media partner platforms. Campus Insiders is also finalizing an agreement with a national linear broadcast partner to televise the game.

http://novaarizonabowl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2016-Press-Release.pdf

Just now, ValleyBoy said:

From the Bowl press release with be a Sun Belt vs Mountain West matchup thru 2019.

http://novaarizonabowl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2016-Press-Release.pdf

Just saw the release and you are right.  Rotation was part of the old deal but CUSA is not part of the new deal.

However SBC still doesn't have a bowl tie in with a P5.  CUSA is the primary on the HoD and the secondary on the Independence.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

We have no one to blame more than ourselves.  We should have been riding high after that bowl win in 2013-14 and instead we crapped our own bed and let the entire conference down.  Ditto basketball.  We need to step up our game before we point any fingers at the conference.

Harry you exactly right. We were climbing and then fell off the cliff. We need to get a lot better and fast.

This doesn't fire me up.  I am more concerned about changing - mostly, but not altogether - the set of schools we play every year. That means these conferences need to be reconstituted and shrunk.  At first I thought S. Miss, LT and Rice were good for us, but now I think there is not much future in it. I never thought UTEP was good for us, and initially I didn't think UTSA was good for us but now they're the only one I want from our division. Unfortunately, in our budget range we are rather unique. That is why there are two of the schools from Miami in the conference. That is a crappy conference. I would hope that with collaboration (and synergy!) there is another solution.  Because of our uniqueness, we really have to rethink what we are trying to accomplish with the program. Getting to one of these type bowl games should not be a primary concern anymore. Our primary concerns should be consistently winning most of the games we play every year and building consistency in annual match-ups against a set of somewhat comparable opponents (MT is a good example, should be on schedule every year).  For the most part I don't think our current set of recurring opponents has much long-term potential, and the idea of swapping some out across divisions each year is the opposite of what we need.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Just saw the release and you are right.  Rotation was part of the old deal but CUSA is not part of the new deal.

However SBC still doesn't have a bowl tie in with a P5.  CUSA is the primary on the HoD and the secondary on the Independence.  

I'm worried about the Heart of Dallas bowl tie-in.  It seems like the Big 12 and Big Ten could just say, "Look, we want this bowl" when the C-USA contract expires.

Also, we at some points have laughed about the New Mexico Bowl, Humanitarian Bowl, and Liberty Bowl.  But, all of those bowl brought at least some exposure to those schools. 

I look at New Mexico's crappy stadium and think, "Really?  That gets a bowl game?"

490_Stadium_View

I think the perfect showcase for Apogee would be a bowl game at least as half-assed as the New Mexico Bowl.  Can we even pull off that?  I've offered this before, tying the name to one of the main academic traditions of the UNT and calling it the Jazz Bowl.

Would it really be any worse than bowl games played in Albuquerque, Shreveport, Mobile, Boise, etc.?  With all of the corporations in the DFW area - and, more coming day by day - we can't put together the money for this thing like...UNM/Albuquerque? 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I'm worried about the Heart of Dallas bowl tie-in.  It seems like the Big 12 and Big Ten could just say, "Look, we want this bowl" when the C-USA contract expires.

Also, we at some points have laughed about the New Mexico Bowl, Humanitarian Bowl, and Liberty Bowl.  But, all of those bowl brought at least some exposure to those schools. 

I look at New Mexico's crappy stadium and think, "Really?  That gets a bowl game?"

490_Stadium_View

I think the perfect showcase for Apogee would be a bowl game at least as half-assed as the New Mexico Bowl.  Can we even pull off that?  I've offered this before, tying the name to one of the main academic traditions of the UNT and calling it the Jazz Bowl.

Would it really be any worse than bowl games played in Albuquerque, Shreveport, Mobile, Boise, etc.?  With all of the corporations in the DFW area - and, more coming day by day - we can't put together the money for this thing like...UNM/Albuquerque? 

Toyota Bowl

Apogee has more seats than either Toyota or Mini-Jerry World.

Apogee:  30,500
Toyota:  20,500 capacity
Mini-Jerry World:  12,000

Hosting Bowl Games
New Mexico's University Stadium, built in 1960: 39,224
Boise State's Albertsons Stadium, built in 1970: 36,387
UNLV's Sam Boyd, built in 1971: 36,800

Bowl Game Payouts: http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-bowl-game-payouts/

Bowl games are going to flex and change. Look at Detroit, the MAC tied game basically got kicked out of Ford Field so B1G could create a "new" game there that had the ACC instead of the MAC as an opponent.

When you look at the bowl agreements currently, MAC situation stinks, with the loss of Detroit not a single game that is easily accessible.

AAC has a nice portfolio if you are in the eastern division, the west teams? The closest tied game is in Birmingham.

MWC has a nice portfolio all are regional (if Hawaii is bowl eligible) but all at campus sites except Tucson. That sort of takes some of the fun out, either playing at home or at a stadium you've played at in league play.

CUSA has two the casual fan is hard pressed to attend. Hawaii is uber expensive and Bahamas requires a passport though you can get much better travel deals. If UTEP isn't available for the New Mexico game then three outside the footprint.

RIght now we are in a moratorium so the value of a bowl license has improved. Unless Tucson finds the money to make the game P12-B12 or P12-MWC in the near future the game is worth more relocating and right now there are two reportedly well financed groups in South Carolina trying to get a bowl. The lifting of the NCAA ban on South Carolina coupled with Coastal going FBS has some strong interest there. By 2020 barring an infusion of cash, the Tucson game will end up moving and South Carolina looks like the prime landing spot. Wouldn't shock me one bit to see the game land in Charleston or Columbia and be Sun Belt vs. CUSA in a few years probably replacing Hawaii or possibly Bahamas 

• Upvote 1

On May 27, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Army of Dad said:

Possible? I guess, but they may prefer Frisco. Though I'm not sure what kind of seating minimums might be required for bowl games and if that would meet them...

As awesome a football venue as Toyota Stadium is (despite being designed specifically for soccer) I doubt it has the size for an FBS bowl game (though many bowl games wouldn't even fill it with attendance).  It has hosted the FCS title game for the last 6 years and had a new 4 year contract to do so. 

South Carolina won't get a bowl because they don't have transformer bathrooms.

On May 29, 2016 at 0:12 AM, Arkstfan said:

Bowl games are going to flex and change. Look at Detroit, the MAC tied game basically got kicked out of Ford Field so B1G could create a "new" game there that had the ACC instead of the MAC as an opponent.

When you look at the bowl agreements currently, MAC situation stinks, with the loss of Detroit not a single game that is easily accessible.

AAC has a nice portfolio if you are in the eastern division, the west teams? The closest tied game is in Birmingham.

MWC has a nice portfolio all are regional (if Hawaii is bowl eligible) but all at campus sites except Tucson. That sort of takes some of the fun out, either playing at home or at a stadium you've played at in league play.

CUSA has two the casual fan is hard pressed to attend. Hawaii is uber expensive and Bahamas requires a passport though you can get much better travel deals. If UTEP isn't available for the New Mexico game then three outside the footprint.

RIght now we are in a moratorium so the value of a bowl license has improved. Unless Tucson finds the money to make the game P12-B12 or P12-MWC in the near future the game is worth more relocating and right now there are two reportedly well financed groups in South Carolina trying to get a bowl. The lifting of the NCAA ban on South Carolina coupled with Coastal going FBS has some strong interest there. By 2020 barring an infusion of cash, the Tucson game will end up moving and South Carolina looks like the prime landing spot. Wouldn't shock me one bit to see the game land in Charleston or Columbia and be Sun Belt vs. CUSA in a few years probably replacing Hawaii or possibly Bahamas 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1