North Texas v Louisiana Tech (1/22/14)

Andrew

I'd ease up there. It's a nice win, but it's clearly an abberition when taken with the performance the rest of the season.

Some time you make shots when the other team doesn't. This is one of those times.

Trust me, I'm with you. But we definitely have 8 "winnable" games left on our schedule. I still don't trust this team to beat the teams it should beat, but we will see. I just have a feeling we can salvage another .500 season. How exciting is that?

• Upvote 1

Nicknames? Good lord WTF is going on here?

Tristan Thompson never had a nickname either, and that's another guy I probably wouldn't rank Combs over as a freshman. And Tristan wasn't really Tristan as we think of him until the second half of his sophomore going into his junior campaign.

Yeah he did. Tristan's nickname was "WOOOOOOOOOOO".

He always introduced himself that way to the other team's players while driving through the lane to the basket.

• Upvote 1

YOU BETTA RECCOOOGGGNIZE, SUNS! Love the efficiency of blasting them in the phase first half and then peeling back so we're ready for USM. It's a malamar, not a sprint PCS - and we are on our way to a 10-2 finish. Just goes to show, anytime you can get Kram, Been Goodning and Andrew in the same room, good things are going down, baby! WOOOO!

• Upvote 3

Interesting dynamic I see happening here. I remember hating Todd Dodge so much, that I got to the point where I couldn't stand the idea of him winning a game, or worse, winning many games, because it meant he would stick around longer than he already had. I was damn near actively rooting against UNT in his last days hoping to all things surly and degenerate that he would GTFO and take his sushi eating Southlake disciples with him. Thank sweet football baby Jesus that finally came to fruition.

So that horrifying experience over, years of numbing having taken their toll, I don't feel the same way about Benford. I certainly don't expect him to win, but I don't mind if he does. I won't be pissed off if he finally figures out how the hell a basketball works. That would be fantastic.

But I think a good number of us have gone over the cliff on all things UNT athletics. Our basketball team won a game against a legitimate first place team, and people seem to be upset about it because it will delay running Benford and RV out of town on a rail. Believe me, I've been there. I can empathize.

Meanwhile, enjoy the victory and hope that maybe, perhaps, (but honestly, probably not), Tony Denton is back in town and has figured out that you don't have line changes or hockey sticks in basketball, and maybe, just maybe, he's figured out (but honestly, probably not) how to get the most out of players while creating loyalty and work ethic.

• Upvote 5

Interesting dynamic I see happening here. I remember hating Todd Dodge so much, that I got to the point where I couldn't stand the idea of him winning a game, or worse, winning many games, because it meant he would stick around longer than he already had. I was damn near actively rooting against UNT in his last days hoping to all things surly and degenerate that he would GTFO and take his sushi eating Southlake disciples with him. Thank sweet football baby Jesus that finally came to fruition.

So that horrifying experience over, years of numbing having taken their toll, I don't feel the same way about Benford. I certainly don't expect him to win, but I don't mind if he does. I won't be pissed off if he finally figures out how the hell a basketball works. That would be fantastic.

But I think a good number of us have gone over the cliff on all things UNT athletics. Our basketball team won a game against a legitimate first place team, and people seem to be upset about it because it will delay running Benford and RV out of town on a rail. Believe me, I've been there. I can empathize.

Meanwhile, enjoy the victory and hope that maybe, perhaps, (but honestly, probably not), Tony Denton is back in town and has figured out that you don't have line changes or hockey sticks in basketball, and maybe, just maybe, he's figured out (but honestly, probably not) how to get the most out of players while creating loyalty and work ethic.

This teem finishes top fore. Book it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We lose, we turn on each other. We win, we turn on each other. It's a good thing we don't have Thanksgiving Dinner together. Noone would survive.

You lay one finger on my drumstick and stuffing and I will shank you so far into next Tuesday, you'll wish you were waking up in a bathtub full of ice in India with at least one kidney left.

Sadly, I caught myself thinking "oh great, another upset win that RV can point at and say 'see look! he can coach!'" But I had to catch myself and just enjoy the victory. At this point in my North Texas fandom I've learned if you just don't expect too much you won't be let down constantly. Sad that it's come to that, but it is what it is.

• Upvote 2

So....really...how'd that work out for you? Ha! I think everyone was thinking the same thing, but these guys fed off the fans and hung in there tonight. If you were there you saw Jordan extolling the fans late in the second half and you heard the fans respond. Great to see a few...few...students back to help the cep rowed and the noise. Had a couple of loud and crazy guys up by us tonight...made for some great cheering and comic relief.

Great game to attend tonight. It's about time...team earned this one.

I'm gonna say bull sh*t to that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hey...where were you sitting? Have a young lady with you? A couple of guys sitting near us were doing a great job hitting on the refs and were pretty darn vocal most of the game. Greatness! Maybe one was you? Where did you sit?

Fine, that was me. I pick my battles, arguing with the guy next to you wasn't worth it.

However I don't understand people. How do you yell at a fan for saying bull sh*t to a bull sh*t call while the kid behind him was half naked?? According to him, its a family atmosphere.

I also don't understand how a woman gets charged with indecent exposure for lifting her shirt up but a guy doesn't. That sounds sexist to me, but that's a different story

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 4

Fine, that was me. I pick my battles, arguing with the guy next to you wasn't worth it.

However I don't understand people. How do you yell at a fan for saying bull sh*t to a bull sh*t call while the kid behind him was half naked?? According to him, its a family atmosphere.

I also don't understand how a woman gets charged with indecent exposure for lifting her shirt up but a guy doesn't. That sounds sexist to me, but that's a different story

What you were saying was fine, but for a bball game that is front row language so only the people you want to hear it, hear it. The people telling you to stop were older fellows wearing suits. Probably cheated on their wives through the 90's and deviled in coke through the 80's. Audacity, right? At the point in time it's all about that mighty perception. However, there were a bunch of kids around though. But I would rather have 5k of you (us) than 2 any game.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

What you were saying was fine, but for a bball game that is front row language so only the people you want to hear it, hear it. The people telling you to stop were older fellows wearing suits. Probably cheated on their wives through the 90's and deviled in coke through the 80's. Audacity, right? At the point in time it's all about that mighty perception. However, there were a bunch of kids around though. But I would rather have 5k of you (us) than 2 any game.

That is generally how you get a suit. I remember the first time I went nose deep at a Joseph A. Bank. It was scary, but then I left on two rushes: the joy of the nose candy coursing through my veins and then the sweet thrill of getting 7 suits for $299.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, so that was you with the potty mouth? Don't think I would admit to that! So classless, but, hey, you were otherwise doing a great job. My only comment to my wife after your classless yelling was, "man, I am really sure his lady friend is so impressed". Ha! And, for the record, the guy you are talking about has been buying season tickets for 35 straight years for both football and basketball and led the charge to re-cover the Super Pit seats in green instead of the original orange. Don't believe that or want to call BS on that? Go check out the plaque of donor names in the concourse of the Super Pit. You will find mine there as well. So, you can call BS all you want AFTER you have been around and buying season tickets for 35 straight years.

You did a great job other than that burst of foul language...and as to the "naked kid"... Really? The kid is 11 years old and was trying to get on the jumbo screen by pulling his t-shirt over his head. You really want to compare what you did in making a fool of yourself for a few moments to an 11year old kid, right you go....And, his grandparents are long attached to UNT...the grandfather having played football for both UNT and the NY Jets. So, if you have a problem with his 11year old grandson having some harmless fun, why don't you just take it up with his grandfather? I am sure he'd be happy to "discuss" it with you in person.

Now...let me say this in conclusion...I was complimenting you and another fan on your rowdiness and said ZERO about your foul moth or anything negative. Why you decided to go off on it just tells us all why you thought it was appropriate to yell out as you did...immaturity plain and simple. I had no problems what so ever with your performance other than that burst of profanity. You will also note that I said nothing to you about it at the game or on this board until you brought it up. Why you did? No clue.

So, thanks for supporting the Mean Green...loved your enthusiasm overall. Hope to see you at another game soon and maybe you will start that 35 year season ticket tradition...I am more than happy to introduce you to either of the fine gentlemen mentioned here and you can discuss this with them in person.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

meme-well-that-escalated-quickly_zps70fb

Just having a little fun... I'm sure they are good people. Anyways...he said the word shit. Who cares...parents will go home and pop in a DVD to avoid real parenting that has 25 "shits" in it. Hypocrisy is never ending I suppose. Great game, great win, great atmosphere. The rest is irrelevant.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Well...I think you were one of the two guys I was talking about. You did a great job! Need more fans like you really getting into the games. That used to be me, but I am a bit old for that, but I do my best. There was another guy with a young lady a row or two behind you that was also doing a pretty good job...except when he came out loudly with a few four letter words...not cool, but he was giving the refs heck.

Great job, Ben....thanks for being there to support these players...and for really getting into the game. One of the best games to witness in person in a long time.

Now...those here who now discount the Creighton win can figure out how to discredit this one. Gonna be a tad hard as La Tech was 4-0 in conference and 14-4 .... Now 14-5 over all. But, am sure they will try.

You're too old? What does that make me kiddo? I was up and yelling from front row center court most of the night.

• Upvote 1

Now...those here who now discount the Creighton win can figure out how to discredit this one. Gonna be a tad hard as La Tech was 4-0 in conference and 14-4 .... Now 14-5 over all. But, am sure they will try.

First Manassas and Richmond were pretty big victories in the War of Northern Aggression as well...

• Upvote 4

You're too old? What does that make me kiddo? I was up and yelling from front row center court most of the night.

Hey...I was up and yelling too....just not as animated as these guys. They were actually fun to watch...we need a lot more just like them...just not with the potty mouth. No biggie as Ben said....just need to remember and think about the ladies and kids in the area. While you can "pop in a DVD" and hear that stuff at home...that is a personal choice...no one chose to have to hear that last night. Does not reflect well on UNT.

But...not too old to get up and yell loud and proud which I did. See you Saturday at the So Miss game...as always in the green room before the game!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

As much as I want the team to succeed, I kinda hate seeing these wins. Benford needs to go. When he pulls out a lucky win over a much better team, it gives RV all kinds of crazy ideas. 5 suits!?

I really hope that RV has some sort of unofficial standard that has to be met in order for Benford to return next season. And, I really hope that said standard is impressively high in order to balance out the prior two seasons under this regime: something like 20 wins or an NCAA tournament appearance. Hopefully we can get some great wins in there this season but still fairly evaluate the direction of the program after the CUSA tournament.

Personally, I always want to see Mean Green wins and could never stomach rooting for anything else. But, this is as much functional as it is emotional. I mean, we wouldn't want to crash and burn so badly this season that no respectable coach would consider coming here, right?

Of course . . . it is possible that no such standard exists or that it is much lower than I would like, but I'm trying not to think about that.

• Upvote 2