MGB: Auditors recommend UNT pay back $75.6 million

Brett Vito

Holy hell... RAISE. THE. STUDENT. FEE. What is wrong with these people. We have a right above FCS-level student fee and we expect to sustain athletic success? Or create it for that matter? The people not in favor of the raise can keep their belly aching about athletics to themselves as far as I'm concerned. Money = success in today's modern college athletics. Raise the fee!!!! If UNT has to pay this back, as they should, the first budget to get squeezed is going to be...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I do feel much better with our new President taking things head on and doing some basic things link not budgeting 100% expected income and having external audits. I'm still pissed that our financial department could not do those two, simple, very basic things that any 1st year accounting student would know. Grrr!

• Upvote 2

My buddy at UNT said his professor heard one idea being thrown around is doing a 1/3 2/3 plan and making 2/3 of an incoming class completely online so that they can increase enrollment without building new classrooms. I really hope his professor has some wrong information.

This is a horrible idea. I also don't think new classrooms need built anytime soon. There are plenty of classrooms.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So people are shocked the auditors say that they want UNT to pay it back? That is all fine and dandy, but the legislature will hedge knowing that if you force UNT to pay it back, so will several other schools out there that have enough political cache to make it go away.

This is one of those things that for some reason will be used as a negative tool or threat against UNT for a while, but nothing is likely to actually come of it.

• Upvote 1

This is a horrible idea. I also don't think new classrooms need built anytime soon. There are plenty of classrooms.

I think this plan would mean that the current enrollment would be the 1/3, meaning a total enrollment of over 100,000 students. I agree it's an awful plan,trying to research if this has ever really happened with a university. Somebody chime in if they have ever heard of this plan before.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

Online programs and classes in general are great for all universities. It's far much cheaper to maintain and you still have a good amount of revenue coming. The more online programs and classes the better IMO.

Sure to a certain extent, but if you expand it too much you will become known as a big online university which makes the school seem way less legitimate. It would be good for revenue but at what cost? I think if it goes too far it will cause our degree value to drop.

• Upvote 1

Sure to a certain extent, but if you expand it too much you will become known as a big online university which makes the school seem way less legitimate. It would be good for revenue but at what cost? I think if it goes too far it will cause our degree value to drop.

With the way the world is becoming, at some point in the very near future big online universities will be valued the same as the opposite and that whole perception of online degrees will go away IMO.

• Downvote 5