I hate to put this game all on Josh but

Harry

It really boils down to this -- how well does Josh handle the TREMENDOUS pressure of this game. The crowd, the refs everything will be working against him...

Can he come in and lead this team in such difficult circumstances? We have a great o-line and running backs but they probably won't do any damage unless Josh can punish UT with the pass.

Some players just thrive when the lights are on and the odds are stacked heavily against your favor...Brelan Chancellor and for the old timers Booger Kennedy comes to mind.

While I would love to win this game, what I am really excited about is to see who on our team rises to the occasion in this tough atmosphere. GMG

I agree with you, Harry. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if we lose, it likely won't have anything to do with the refs.

If you don't think the refs can impact this game with allowing holding calls to favor UT you are being naive.

It really boils down to this -- how well does Josh handle the TREMENDOUS pressure of this game. The crowd, the refs everything will be working against him...

Can he come in and lead this team in such difficult circumstances? We have a great o-line and running backs but they probably won't do any damage unless Josh can punish UT with the pass.

Some players just thrive when the lights are on and the odds are stacked heavily against your favor...Brelan Chancellor and for the old timers Booger Kennedy comes to mind.

While I would love to win this game, what I am really excited about is to see who on our team rises to the occasion in this tough atmosphere. GMG

I agree Harry. If UNT is going to have any shot at all against big bad vanilla Texas than its because Josh is playing really well.

He has to make quick smart decisions. Has to be able to hit those 3rd down passes to move the chains. Needs to stay in the pocket when its there and be able to move around when it collapses. He has to be able to look at the 10 other guys in the huddle and give them confidence. Needs to be an efficient distributor. Has to prove he can hit passes down the field (should we chose to throw them). If we do pull the upset its because Josh played one hell of a game that will go down in the UNT history books.

• Upvote 2

May I suggest you review the 1988 game. More than one bad call made a win for NT impossible.

Bevo. It's what's for dinner

Bet Texsa

GO MEAN GREEN

That game was 26 years ago. No one playing in this year's game was even born when that happened. In fact, most wouldn't be born until 4 years later -- at the earliest.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't think that's his argument. He's saying, and I'm inclined to agree, that UT will prove to be a superior team. No ref favoritism necessary.

This. But I too am obviously hoping this isn't the case.

---

Further, a lot has changed in the 26 years since we were robbed. Mainly, the entire landscape of college football. Every call can be scrutinized. We have instant replay. The calls in that game in 1988 wouldn't have ever stood up in today's game, and very likely wouldn't have even been made. I think it's harder than ever to "fix" a game. Too many eyes. Too much money.

Not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying, I have a hard time believing such egregious calls would/could be made in today's game. Gotta figure those officials like having a job -- and like many of us, would prefer to be known for doing the best job they can. If that makes me naive, I'm okay with it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Nope, this one is on the O-Line. We must be able to run even when Texas thinks we're going to. If we can, then Josh will have a chance to make plays.At that point, then it's on Josh :wink:

I am leaning this way also. The O line is supposed to be the strength of the team. Even if we are predictable, we should be able to grind out 3 yards per play and set up 3rd and managable. Our running game was decent at times, but I expected more last season.

we should be able to run better this year. No excuses. We have two guys on preseason award lists and want to play on the next level. Prove it. Get it done.

• Upvote 1

Just a few wrap up thoughts for those guys who think this game is on the OL.

1. We expect the OL to play very well.
2. They are 5 guys. 5 guys can't block 7 or 8. If you don't force the LBs and DBs to worry about the pass they are going to be playing downhill all day. There will be those traditional 8 in the box against UNT.
3. Greer playing good is the X factor in this game. His level of play will determine if we have a chance.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 1

Just a few wrap up thoughts for those guys who think this game is on the OL.

1. We expect the OL to play very well.

2. They are 5 guys. 5 guys can't block 7 or 8. If you don't force the LBs and DBs to worry about the pass they are going to be playing downhill all day. There will be those traditional 8 in the box against UNT.

3. Greer playing good is the X factor in this game. His level of play will determine if we have a chance.

OL still has to block for the passing game to be successful. If Greer has time, he has a better chance to find an open receiver and deliver a better ball.

I think people are misunderstanding my post. Of course I don't expect the coaches to put this game all on his shoulders and this is a team effort, I think that it is going to take a big performance from Josh to give us a shot to win, maybe even keep this game close. Like 09 said his level of play will determine whether or not we have a fighting chance to beat these guys.

If we are somehow able to run the ball down their throat I will be ecstatic... it would mean we can chew up clock and keep their offense off of the field. I seriously doubt they will allow that to happen though. So it is going to be on Josh to expose them in the passing game.

I think this is more accurate. Josh Greer should be considered the X factor in the game, but the game is definitely on the D line. With their talented running backs, we HAVE to stop the run to have a chance. We won last year with defense and it's on them to replace and repeat.

• Upvote 1