UNT green brigade band debate

drex

• 10 months later...

Green Brigade, don't look now but someone in the conference is fast gaining on you as a true SPIRIT organization. 
Energetic entrance complete with fanfare....

I think the "run to your spot" entrance they've done a handful of times has really burned into your memory.  The thing is... I've seen the GB enter like UTSA did in that video a zillion times for their halftime show.   The difference though is that the GB doesn't usually start playing until after they're announced. 

Are you saying you'd rather have them march onto the field playing some kind of fanfare while someone is talking over them?   That's dumb... hence, this is a UTSA entrance.

• Upvote 2

i was in the GB from 95-98, although wasn't a music major, we did plenty of crappy fanfare marching in, starting in the end zones with another row of players starting off every five yards....we did random walking out to the field...hell, we did random walking out onto the field at halftime one year...who the shiatt cares how you get there...play and blow people away...that's what the marching band is for at the games!  i loved the randomness of just walking aimlessly to your spot...didn't have to worry about lines/steps...just get to your effing spot and blow them away!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

i was in the GB from 95-98, although wasn't a music major, we did plenty of crappy fanfare marching in, starting in the end zones with another row of players starting off every five yards....we did random walking out to the field...hell, we did random walking out onto the field at halftime one year...who the shiatt cares how you get there...play and blow people away...that's what the marching band is for at the games!  i loved the randomness of just walking aimlessly to your spot...didn't have to worry about lines/steps...just get to your effing spot and blow them away!

Hmmm, and all these years I was under the delusional impression that job one for a college band was get the fans pumped and into the game so that, by extension, the football team gets pumped. You know, by the time the GB wanders/saunters out on the field at half time and gets around to "blowing away" their fans and the competition, the football team will be in the locker room and not benefit at all.

I'm just wondering why all these successful programs and their bands, that I've linked in my past rantings (Ohio St., Michigan, Oka. UT etc)  choose to make a big show of their entrances. If only they were as insightful as our program. If only they had the fan following of our program.....oh wait!

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Green Brigade, don't look now but someone in the conference is fast gaining on you as a true SPIRIT organization. 
Energetic entrance complete with fanfare....

Worst attempt at playing music I have seen on the campus of any university with the words "North Texas" as part of its name was by this bunch.  And are the uniforms an attempt by some in the Alamo City to honor Santa Anna?  Anyone thinking this is good has never spent any time or effort at learning, practicing, playing or seriously listening to music.  No, I didn't click on the link; I saw (and definitely heard) all I needed to at Apogee Stadium year before last.  Or maybe Silver is saying the music doesn't matter, it's, it's, it's...what?.  Weird stuff here.  Maybe fall camp will start at some point.

Our coaches, team, athletic department, and fan base were woefully underwhelming that day, but to have to put with this and have it praised by one of fans?  This is like having to eat crow, and having your friends stand around praising the chef.

• Upvote 1