UNT green brigade band debate

drex

Moving around actually assists the flow of blood which, in turn, helps the body keep cooler.

http://web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/heatstress/heatstress.htm

The football team is required to wear those helmets and pads for safety and protection. Remove any risk of injury, and 9 out of 10 teams would find a way to lighten the load in 90+ degree weather.

Any fan of this sport can likely recall reading about a death in summer camp due to heat exhaustion. Are you really wishing that a marching band suffer even more (when they don't have to) because 1) your son has to put up with it and/or 2) you think this is a matter of school pride? I don't agree with either of those excuses.

Maybe when the marching band has an arsenal of cooling fans, physical trainers, and servings of water and electrolytes ready on call, we can talk about keeping those marching unis on.

We should rename this The Giant Vagina Board. Put a cooling fan on that.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Ass.

Oh look. We all can play this game.

look Chris, not being an ass at all, just tired of all the guys with inferiority complexes constantly whining about how little money NT grads make, how low we are compared to SMU grads, we can't do this, we can't do that. Every time someone makes a suggestion how to better things, these people throw out every excuse why we can't do it. It's no wonder why people have a low opinion of NT because our own grads do. Quit the damn whining about everything and have a little bit of pride in yourself and your school.
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I guess I just don't see what you're seeing. I work in a field where UNT grads are dominant: we outnumber other schools seemingly 2-to-1, and our reputation as one of the top colleges on an international level precedes us.

So when I see UNT doing something different, I think we are being smart about things, not that others are better. Why compare yourself to others when it's already established that you are the leader in the field?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

look Chris, not being an ass at all, just tired of all the guys with inferiority complexes constantly whining about how little money NT grads make, how low we are compared to SMU grads, we can't do this, we can't do that. Every time someone makes a suggestion how to better things, these people throw out every excuse why we can't do it. It's no wonder why people have a low opinion of NT because our own grads do. Quit the damn whining about everything and have a little bit of pride in yourself and your school.

And I'm right there with you! The thing is, everyone talks about suggestions for how to do things better or ways in which the GB, AD, or whoever else on campus can dominate but there is an absolute, finite budgetary reality to it all. There simply does not exist the money to do things people want all these departments to do.

Now, if those same people with the fantastic ideas want to then contribute or pool a group of like-minded individuals to then fund these endeavors with those departments approval, THAT would actually create visceral change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And I'm right there with you! The thing is, everyone talks about suggestions for how to do things better or ways in which the GB, AD, or whoever else on campus can dominate but there is an absolute, finite budgetary reality to it all. There simply does not exist the money to do things people want all these departments to do.

Now, if those same people with the fantastic ideas want to then contribute or pool a group of like-minded individuals to then fund these endeavors with those departments approval, THAT would actually create visceral change.

As far as the GB is concerned, I don't know what people want the athletic department to do about them.

Interesting that you mention budget issues, since someone in charge of the GB decided to grow the band to a bloated 400 members. Thereby making it even harder for them to afford out of town trips. It also makes it harder for anyone to plan and choreograph shows in the style for which they have become known. IMHO 250 was pretty much the ideal size. A size btw that requires less money to support than an unwieldy 400 member band.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

you are absolutely right, that's why we need to quit dicking around with these degrees that limit people to 30k-70k per year and concentrate on business and engineering programs. If someone wants to write poetry for a living, that's fine, but dont expect much in donations and financial support from them. I know the grunge crowd will post about this but ATM doesn't have liberal programs and there alumni are higher wage earners and donate a hell of a lot more than our alum. Do I wish we were more like ATM? You damn right I do.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

you are absolutely right, that's why we need to quit dicking around with these degrees that limit people to 30k-70k per year and concentrate on business and engineering programs. If someone wants to write poetry for a living, that's fine, but dont expect much in donations and financial support from them. I know the grunge crowd will post about this but ATM doesn't have liberal programs and there alumni are higher wage earners and donate a hell of a lot more than our alum. Do I wish we were more like ATM? You damn right I do.

you tell em, GreenMachine! You right. Who need's English, mathmatics, philopsphy, physics? None of those guys will ever come close to 70K. Music, art...for pansies only. get rid of them to. ROTC, forget about it. Those guys will never make big money. Foreign languages, no need, if they are in America, they should speak American.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

you tell em, GreenMachine! You right. Who need's English, mathmatics, philopsphy, physics? None of those guys will ever come close to 70K. Music, art...for pansies only. get rid of them to. ROTC, forget about it. Those guys will never make big money. Foreign languages, no need, if they are in America, they should speak American. [/quote

of course your wouldn't get it. Your comment about pansies was spot on though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I'm kinda wondering: we all know that there are about 120 players on the roster during the FB season, but not all of those travel to away games (the last I read maybe 70 were going to Austin). Yet, Silver has been saying basically that, since we have 400 GB members, we would have to send them all or none to any away game. Am I being too subtle?

• Upvote 2

I'm kinda wondering: we all know that there are about 120 players on the roster during the FB season, but not all of those travel to away games (the last I read maybe 70 were going to Austin). Yet, Silver has been saying basically that, since we have 400 GB members, we would have to send them all or none to any away game. Am I being too subtle?

As a former marching band person in high school, I can tell you that this would drastically change the halftime show because there would be gaps in the formations.

However, if you don't care about the halftime show and just want a "presence" in the stands, then sending a smaller group makes absolute sense. But then you have to decide who can make it or not.

Personally, as a department I'd try and split the cost with the students interested in traveling or just make them foot their own bill to go.

"You wanna travel to Austin with the band? Ok, for your ticket and room & board it's going to cost about $250. We'll pay $125 if you can come up with the other half."

Now of course, in that scenario you run the risk of having like 20 saxes (it's a known fact that all male sax players are sports fans, so every dude that plays the sax will want to go) 14 trombones, eight trumpets, six tubas and about four clarinets making it to the game.

So if a band of about 52 excites you, then cool.

EDIT -- forgot the drum line. You can guarantee almost all of them would want to go because all drum-liners like to party so Austin is a no-brainer for them.

So let's say a band of about 75 or so.

Edited by TheFranchise

As far as the GB is concerned, I don't know what people want the athletic department to do about them.

Interesting that you mention budget issues, since someone in charge of the GB decided to grow the band to a bloated 400 members. Thereby making it even harder for them to afford out of town trips. It also makes it harder for anyone to plan and choreograph shows in the style for which they have become known. IMHO 250 was pretty much the ideal size. A size btw that requires less money to support than an unwieldy 400 member band.

The MUED curriculum has always required future band directors to do 2 - 3 seasons of the GB. I don't know if you're wrong but I have never heard of a limitation on members, so maybe it's a reflection of increased MUED majors?

• Upvote 1

Hopefully continued winning will help promote donating to all of the game day elements. The more enjoyment those associated with our great institution experience at ball games, the more exposure each element will get over time. If something is important to you, do your part and help make it happen. It'd be great if gb could start traveling more often...hopefully that comes to fruition sooner than later. They're a true point of pride for us.

• Upvote 1

The MUED curriculum has always required future band directors to do 2 - 3 seasons of the GB. I don't know if you're wrong but I have never heard of a limitation on members, so maybe it's a reflection of increased MUED majors?

I blame that gawdawful teeny show "Glee" for this...

• Upvote 2

I think NT should raise their entrance requirements and limit their programs to majors that every graduate can start at a salary of over six figures. Never mind that most of us would have never got in and that thousands of others who think that there is more to a career than dollars would go somewhere else.

• Upvote 7

That may be the case, but that's a pretty significant spike in numbers in a three or four year period. For there to be that kind of spike in numbers some other MUED program(s) around the state would have had to completely shut down.

It's my understanding that a certain number of the band members are students from the general student population.

Maybe "Letsgiveacheer" can tell us what the size and composition (music majors and non-music majors) was when he was a student and student director.